News   Apr 23, 2024
 141     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 636     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 426     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Thanks, I deliberately wanted the B-D line a bit lighter shade of green to contrast with the GO line - but I suppose the GO lines could become lighter. I also wanted to avoid red for any lines, as they are reserved for streetcars and buses - this orange is good.
Can you turn off the "earth" in Google Earth? Google Map has street and satellite view, but not Google Earth?.
Just download Google Earth Pro and import the file I uploaded to Dropbox. You can make all the modifications you want.

There is an add-on for Google Earth Pro that adds map overlays (read the steps carefully). I used the Komoot one.

Here's an idea for the Relief Line based on discussions in the Relief Line West thread.

Relief Line South would be the first segment built from Osgoode to Pape. Beyond that, an extension north to Eglinton follows the Thorncliffe Park route but also splits off into an eastern branch at O'Connor and travels north-east to Victoria Park. This branch would either travel up Victoria Park or veer north-east towards STC. The Thorncliffe Park branch would travel north to Lawrence then traverse the Richmond Hill GO line into Richmond Hill Centre.

In the core, a second downtown subway would travel underneath King St. from Liberty Village to Sumach where Queen and King subways interline. I'm of the belief that in the distant future, downtown will require more than just a subway along Queen. An additional line under King allows for greater downtown coverage and routes out of the core while also intersecting various GO lines at the proposed Liberty Village and Eastern GO stations.

In the west, the King line veers north on Dufferin at Liberty Village and terminates at Eglinton with the Crosstown. The Queen subway continues west to Humber Bay allowing for a hub at Sunnyside and continues further west terminating at the new Park Lawn GO station. The Queen line could potentially be extended further west along the Queensway to Sherway in the very distant future.

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 3.26.22 PM.png

I like the notion of using the same infrastructure on the east end, however, if we are building another line, I would like to see it service new areas.

I'd have the red line continue east on Queen to Woodbine, and veer it north to meet up with O'Connor.

Or maybe along Eastern Avenue until Coxwell, and up-zone all of Eastern to high-rise, since that would have greater development opportunity than directly on Queen (We got a housing shortage to resolve!!!). This would also save the Queen Streetcar.

Last edited:
Here's an idea for the Relief Line based on discussions in the Relief Line West thread.

Relief Line South would be the first segment built from Osgoode to Pape. Beyond that, an extension north to Eglinton follows the Thorncliffe Park route but also splits off into an eastern branch at O'Connor and travels north-east to Victoria Park. This branch would either travel up Victoria Park or veer north-east towards STC. The Thorncliffe Park branch would travel north to Lawrence then traverse the Richmond Hill GO line into Richmond Hill Centre.

In the core, a second downtown subway would travel underneath King St. from Liberty Village to Sumach where Queen and King subways interline. I'm of the belief that in the distant future, downtown will require more than just a subway along Queen. An additional line under King allows for greater downtown coverage and routes out of the core while also intersecting various GO lines at the proposed Liberty Village and Eastern GO stations.

In the west, the King line veers north on Dufferin at Liberty Village and terminates at Eglinton with the Crosstown. The Queen subway continues west to Humber Bay allowing for a hub at Sunnyside and continues further west terminating at the new Park Lawn GO station. The Queen line could potentially be extended further west along the Queensway to Sherway in the very distant future.

View attachment 172401

I really like the branches, they all make sense.

But, I have a bit of an issue with the short common section in the east, from Sumach to Mortimer. If the Red and the Blue lines have their own tunnels for 80% or 90% of their length, then we don't want to limit their capacities to 50% of what they could have without the common section. Two completely separate lines would seem to be more logical.

Splitting into branches makes sense if it occurs closer to the outer ends. If we are splitting close to the core, then we can as well have two separate lines.

Scaronto Streetcar.png

This map is more of putting the fantasy back in transit fantasy maps.

Instead of a subway route or dedicated LRT along Victoria Park, what if there was a STREETCAR that travelled on both Victoria Park and on Pharmacy? This map shows potential routes, with solid lines being the most important and dotted lines being the least important.

STOP LIST because I cannot really show it well on a map like the one I have
Southern Leg: Main Street (Line 2), Danforth GO, Gerrard-Main, Ted Reeve, Pickering, Gerrard-Victoria Park, Shoppers World. Possible one-stop extension to Bingham Loop.

Lawrence Proposal
Pharmacy Northbound: Shoppers World, Albion, Donside, Bolster, Saint Clair, Stellarton, Leahurst, Sundridge, Eglinton (Line 5), Ashtonbee, Noreen Vernon, Surrey, Sherwood, Lawrence.
Victoria Park Southbound: Lawrence, Sloane, Ruscica, Elvaston, Eglinton (Line 5), Sunrise, Parma, Tiago, Saint Clair, Meighen, Donora, Crescent Town (Line 2), Denton, Shoppers World.

Ellesmere Proposal
Pharmacy Northbound: Lawrence, Galsworthy, Trestleside, Dewey, Ellesmere.
Victoria Park Southbound: Parkwoods Village, Cassandra, Rowena, Curlew, Deanvar, Lawrence.

Steeles Proposal
Victoria Park Two-Way: Ellesmere-Pharmacy, York Mills, Consumers, Sheppard (Line 4 or 7), Huntingwood, Altair, Van Horne, Finch, Pawnee, McNicoll, Gordon Baker, Steeles.
(Alternatively, the northbound route tunnels under the 401 to serve Pharmacy up to Steeles.)

Rather than making this area its own development corridor, this streetcar would be more apt for increasing the catchment area of Lines 2 and 5, as well as GO service at Danforth.

View attachment 172767

This map is more of putting the fantasy back in transit fantasy maps.

Instead of a subway route or dedicated LRT along Victoria Park, what if there was a STREETCAR that travelled on both Victoria Park and on Pharmacy? This map shows potential routes, with solid lines being the most important and dotted lines being the least important.

STOP LIST because I cannot really show it well on a map like the one I have
Southern Leg: Main Street (Line 2), Danforth GO, Gerrard-Main, Ted Reeve, Pickering, Gerrard-Victoria Park, Shoppers World. Possible one-stop extension to Bingham Loop.

Lawrence Proposal
Pharmacy Northbound: Shoppers World, Albion, Donside, Bolster, Saint Clair, Stellarton, Leahurst, Sundridge, Eglinton (Line 5), Ashtonbee, Noreen Vernon, Surrey, Sherwood, Lawrence.
Victoria Park Southbound: Lawrence, Sloane, Ruscica, Elvaston, Eglinton (Line 5), Sunrise, Parma, Tiago, Saint Clair, Meighen, Donora, Crescent Town (Line 2), Denton, Shoppers World.

Ellesmere Proposal
Pharmacy Northbound: Lawrence, Galsworthy, Trestleside, Dewey, Ellesmere.
Victoria Park Southbound: Parkwoods Village, Cassandra, Rowena, Curlew, Deanvar, Lawrence.

Steeles Proposal
Victoria Park Two-Way: Ellesmere-Pharmacy, York Mills, Consumers, Sheppard (Line 4 or 7), Huntingwood, Altair, Van Horne, Finch, Pawnee, McNicoll, Gordon Baker, Steeles.
(Alternatively, the northbound route tunnels under the 401 to serve Pharmacy up to Steeles.)

Rather than making this area its own development corridor, this streetcar would be more apt for increasing the catchment area of Lines 2 and 5, as well as GO service at Danforth.
Originally from the two maps you posted, I thought this was a line between Victoria Park and Warden in the old hydro corridor.

How Relief Line North should go north of Lawrence - mostly at-grade routing utilising rail and hydro corridor.
Not going to happen because of a lot of different reasons.

RLN.jpg

^One problem with that alignment is that you wouldn't be able to replace the bus service on Don Mills with rapid transit.

Maybe we should not be trying to replace bus service on any routes. Maybe we should look at moving people as effectively as possible. That is why Yonge line is so congested.

How Relief Line North should go north of Lawrence - mostly at-grade routing utilising rail and hydro corridor.
Not going to happen because of a lot of different reasons.

If the line goes down Don Mills instead of taking the Richmond Hill GO corridor, something like this could still work. If the terminal was bumped slightly westwards to Pharmacy, the greenfield south of Steeles could become a transfer point for buses on Steeles, Victoria Park, Pharmacy, and the Viva Green service.

^One problem with that alignment is that you wouldn't be able to replace the bus service on Don Mills with rapid transit.

None of the options would replace the Don Mills local bus. To be competitive with the Yonge line, the DRL will most likely have 2km stop spacing north of Eglinton, like the Yonge line. At 2km spacing, you need an overlay bus service, because you're way beyond the ~400m suggested upper limit for local service stop spacing. Note that there's all-day bus service to duplicate the Yonge line north of Davisville, and there's even bus service duplicating the Sheppard line whose stop spacing is closer to 1km.

None of the options would replace the Don Mills local bus. To be competitive with the Yonge line, the DRL will most likely have 2km stop spacing north of Eglinton, like the Yonge line. At 2km spacing, you need an overlay bus service, because you're way beyond the ~400m suggested upper limit for local service stop spacing. Note that there's all-day bus service to duplicate the Yonge line north of Davisville, and there's even bus service duplicating the Sheppard line whose stop spacing is closer to 1km.
I'm mindful. The bus on Eglinton won't be disappearing either with the Crosstown even despite the much closer stop spacing.

But it is the difference between running a frequent local bus service on Don Mills versus one that comes every 15 or 30 minutes.

The proposed alignment would intercept east-west bus riders from the Yonge subway and ferry them to locations downtown, but it won't do much for the people who's origin or destination is along Don Mills itself. Which is actually quite a lot of people (38,000 use the Don Mills bus daily at present, and 34 buses are operating the route in the morning rush hour) and destinations/employment.

The main reason I joined this forum was to dump stuff in this thread.

This here is a map of what the GO system could look like if it got an electric upgrade and the relief line was built for EMUs instead of for Toronto Rockets. The vast majority of rail on this map already exists, but not all of it has passenger service on it right now. And of course, different express services would now exist on nearly every line.

The Lakeshore line, aka Hamilton-Oshawa, now has a transfer station at East Harbour by Broadview, and the current Durham and Niagara extensions are shown as planned - with the exception of the Kenilworth station which has been added to eastern Hamilton. Niagara trains east of Burlington would only stop at Union and maybe Port Credit.
The Interior line, aka Kitchener-Stouffville, has a few stations added in Toronto, as well as the currently proposed Breslau station and Kitchener relocation. The UPX is a separate service that I left alone. There is also a branch service from downtown to Bolton, as well as two potential extensions (to Uxbridge in the east and to Alliston in the northwest) that would probably get significantly limited service.
The Central line, aka Barrie-Don Valley or Barrie-Moraine, is the only line to regularly use the Queen corridor. Concord (at Highway 7), Langstaff, and Scarsdale serve as transfers between local service and express service. A few stations in Toronto and near Aurora have been added to those currently proposed.
The Peel line largely follows the current Milton GO line, with a few additional stations in Mississauga. There is a branch service to Orangeville via the OBRY that would be among the least frequent, and a potential extension in the main line to Cambridge. It peters out east of Kipling because I couldn't decide whether it would take over the North Toronto tracks or the current Line 2, so I settled on "whatever."

Map for GTA I made way back in the day (with some minor edits). Some may remember. Hard to make major edits because Illustrator cannot load fonts properly or something but I'm not sure what I would change anyways:

And map for Mississauga, also a repost:

Map for GTA I made way back in the day (with some minor edits). Some may remember. Hard to make major edits because Illustrator cannot load fonts properly or something but I'm not sure what I would change anyways:

And map for Mississauga, also a repost:
holy i remember the misissauga map time goes so by

Back