News   Jul 12, 2024
 992     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 861     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Neither does Via have local stops now. Multiple stopping patterns is almost a certainty in this corridor... As to whether Go ends up in London, like I said, yeah, that's VERY likely imo if there is anything that encourages Via to stop serving smaller stops west of Kitchener

Neither does Via have local stops now. Multiple stopping patterns is almost a certainty in this corridor... As to whether Go ends up in London, like I said, yeah, that's VERY likely imo if there is anything that encourages Via to stop serving smaller stops west of Kitchener

So, adding those stops in Kitchener, right now, seems to be a good idea, but will only slow the train down when it gets extended to London.

Not sure London is really within the scope of what's feasible. That would be a 4 hour train ride.

From Toronto. The major purpose of such an extension isn't actually Toronto focused. Commuting into and between London, Kitchener and Guelph from points west of Toronto is a very real market, and one that doesn't even have a directly parallel 400 series.

Not sure London is really within the scope of what's feasible. That would be a 4 hour train ride.
From Toronto. The major purpose of such an extension isn't actually Toronto focused. Commuting into and between London, Kitchener and Guelph from points west of Toronto is a very real market, and one that doesn't even have a directly parallel 400 series.

There are people who are buying houses in London and driving to Toronto. A train ride in instead may be appealing to those.

There are people who are buying houses in London and driving to Toronto. A train ride in instead may be appealing to those.
Yes, they might be driving to Toronto. But are they driving to Union Station?

While I am not discounting London being linked to Toronto by HFR or HSR one day, I find it highly unlikely that London will be connected by a commuter rail service that GO provides.

Yes, they might be driving to Toronto. But are they driving to Union Station?

While I am not discounting London being linked to Toronto by HFR or HSR one day, I find it highly unlikely that London will be connected by a commuter rail service that GO provides.

I never thought they would extend it to Kitchener or Barrie, but here we are.

So now I don't need to take via at $30 each way to my stratford house?! Maybe $10? Greatly appreciated. Who is subsidizing this thing?

I never thought they would extend it to Kitchener or Barrie, but here we are.
Really though?

Kitchener is ~50km away from Georgetown, on a corridor that has multiple population centres.

London is ~80km away from Kitchener, and there is nothing but farmland in between.

Kitchener has Toronto as a major draw for using the corridor. London by train would be like 4h to Toronto.

Really though?

Kitchener is ~50km away from Georgetown, on a corridor that has multiple population centres.

London is ~80km away from Kitchener, and there is nothing but farmland in between.

Kitchener has Toronto as a major draw for using the corridor. London by train would be like 4h to Toronto.

Well, 20-40 years ago, most of York region was all farmland.

That greatly depends on the speed of train. Toronto to London ON is ~ 190 km, a really fast train can cover that distance in 2 h or less.

Of course, the question is whether the corridor's demand is sufficient to run express trains in addition to all-stop trains.

So apparently Kipling Station has a roughed-in LRT platform. This is what I would like to see done with it, to connect downtown Mississauga with suburbs to the east and maybe west along Dundas Street.

DELRT.png

There are four possible configurations of the route: along the CP Galt right-of-way where possible, along Dundas Street west of Scarlett, along the CP Galt ROW west of Cawthra only, or along the CP Galt ROW between Dixie and Kipling only. At a bare minimum, the route would go from Hurontario to Kipling.

The route could be extended to Wolfedale or Erindale GO to the west (I don't believe it will be necessary west of the Credit except maybe to reach the U of T campus), and up to Gunns Loop in the east. It's also possible for the line to transition into the St. Clair streetcar, for a one-seat ride from downtown Mississauga to uptown Toronto. Only the major stops are shown in my diagram, most likely there would be infill stations at Stanfield, East Mall, Islington, Jane/Rockcliffe etc.

Back