News   May 03, 2024
 339     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 269     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

update: the north west patch is now filled with concrete. I'm assuming these 2 areas will eventually be retailer locations.

In other news, new brackets are being installed in the old part of the shed. I'm assuming they're for new lighting as it's too early for electrification. Kind of ruin the whole "heritage" argument, but what do I know about heritage...

I would assume that these will be painted grey at least. Hopefully the lighting situation improves on the platform.

update: the north west patch is now filled with concrete. I'm assuming these 2 areas will eventually be retailer locations.

In other news, new brackets are being installed in the old part of the shed. I'm assuming they're for new lighting as it's too early for electrification. Kind of ruin the whole "heritage" argument, but what do I know about heritage...

View attachment 157371 View attachment 157372

Those brackets are installed for the LVWW, Low Voltage Wire Way to carry communication cables including lighting, Public Announcements Systems, and other fiber optic cables along the length of the shed.

Anyone have any idea what the progress is on the shed art installation? According to this, submissions closed in June.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/integratedart/docs/FINAL USEP Artist EOI 2018_branded_long.pdf

This will be an interesting one to watch. Somehow “Doug Ford” and “Public Art” don’t seem to affiliate well in a single sentence.

The unveiling would be an interesting photo op, DoFo mingling cheerfully with folks from the downtown arts community, all of them sipping buck a beer with their pinkies in the air. /s

Seriously, If we are going to see funding cuts to ML, this would in fact be a good item to defer. We need tracks and signals more.

- Paul

Last edited:
Cross posting
Oct 3
Been a well I have been here and about time for screens. Not sure about the T and not the best shots as the lens crap out during the day.
45041465692_e31937bbd1_b.jpg

45090254191_889f4409c4_b.jpg

45041466872_2c23c2e726_b.jpg

45090247261_e4c507d4b3_b.jpg

My friend who commutes via Union daily told me that today a chunk of concrete fell and hit someone on the head. Evidently they had a large gash and were getting attention from a ton of paramedics. Scary.

He wasn't sure as he got there after it happened, but talked to people to say that it fell. I'd assume above the platforms, because she wasn't on the tracks. Sadly, he isn't a transit geek so couldn't get the in-depth info the forum wants.
Hopefully it wasn't a critical injury. I hate to say this, but some of that broken concrete is just being held in place by the rebar, and I'm talking of where the superstructure for the roof has been cut away in places.

As much as I give thumbs up to the pics posted in this string, it's more for the incredible detail and story they tell that I do so, not the end result, especially in the shed. It looks like shid...and I can't see much hope of making it look any better than that. Soviet Tractor Factory on a good day perhaps...I just can't believe the vast amounts of money sunk in and what little there is to show for it....

Last edited:

Back