News   Apr 26, 2024
 156     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

So much info there. The most glaring piece of info is the following:

Package 3: USEP Package 3 represents the final phase of the enabling works for GO Expansion to support electrification and rail capacity planning, including OnCorridor work on expanded platforms and tracks to the east and west of the station. Metrolinx proposes to build two new concourses below grade, to support the new platforms located east of Bay Street and west of York Street. Signals, electrification, and fleet with considerations for the operations and maintenance of the rail system are also part of this package. Initial reviews of Package 3 by the City indicate proposed new vertical access points for the Station proper; impacting areas within the Bay, York, VIA concourses and retail level. Metrolinx and IO advised that in January, 2019, they intend to issue a Request for Proposal.

If I'm reading this correctly, there will be additional 2 concourses (ie, in addition to York and Bay), which seems rather unnecessary, but given that they are building new platforms on each side of the existing one - they think they have no choice?
This will most likely cost at least $1 billion...

If I'm reading this correctly, there will be additional 2 concourses (ie, in addition to York and Bay), which seems rather unnecessary, but given that they are building new platforms on each side of the existing one - they think they have no choice?
This will most likely cost at least $1 billion...

They are proposing to tear down the new platforms that are only a few years old, reconfigure the concourse underneath, which ties into both the York and Bay concourses (as it should), and put back 2 tracks where there are currently three - with wider platforms and a new roof. I wonder how much excavation and new concrete is needed to put the supports in the right place for where the tracks will end up. Not a bad idea per se, but rework and continuation of disruption at Union.
It’s Metrolinx’ nickle, and might benefit the city if it results in more rentable space..... buy oy, one step forwards and two steps back before the job gets finished.

SueAnn Levy has been griping about Union Station, she will have fun with this.

- Paul

They are proposing to tear down the new platforms that are only a few years old, reconfigure the concourse underneath, which ties into both the York and Bay concourses (as it should), and put back 2 tracks where there are currently three - with wider platforms and a new roof. I wonder how much excavation and new concrete is needed to put the supports in the right place for where the tracks will end up. Not a bad idea per se, but rework and continuation of disruption at Union.
It’s Metrolinx’ nickle, and might benefit the city if it results in more rentable space..... buy oy, one step forwards and two steps back before the job gets finished.

- Paul
Wait - you are describing "Package 1". What I was referring is "Package 3", which will occur after Package 1.

Wait - you are describing "Package 1". What I was referring is "Package 3", which will occur after Package 1.

Thanks - reread a little more carefully - now I get it.

Too bad there is no layout for Phase 3 in the submission.

- Paul

- Paul
Based on this, 12 tracks are required at Union. Currently there are 16 (?). Can 4 just be eliminated without shifting the tracks?

urbantoronto-6283-20168.jpg

They are proposing to tear down the new platforms that are only a few years old, reconfigure the concourse underneath, which ties into both the York and Bay concourses (as it should), and put back 2 tracks where there are currently three - with wider platforms and a new roof. I wonder how much excavation and new concrete is needed to put the supports in the right place for where the tracks will end up.

Sorry just to be clear, which platforms are they proposing be torn down? 27/28?

Based on this, 12 tracks are required at Union. Currently there are 16 (?). Can 4 just be eliminated without shifting the tracks

Interesting to contrast that 2012 concept idea with the plan that's now being implemented. The East Harbour Station will be on the east side of the Don River, unlike the Cherry Station shown, and as far as I can tell they aren't building as many rail-over-rail grade separations. Image below from this presentation for the Union Station Rail Corridor East Project.
2Jn11Nh

Sorry just to be clear, which platforms are they proposing be torn down? 27/28?

I wish I had a layout map, as this will get confusing. South of the south wall of the trainshed, there were four tracks, numbered 13-16. Track 13 is outdoors of the trainshed, with old (trainshed) platform on the north side and the new platform on the south side. Track 14 has that platform on the north side. Tracks 15-16 are not used except by equipment moves with 16 OOS.

The plan amounts to deleting track 13 in place of a wider platform, and deleting the platform between tracks 13-14. That leaves track 14 (possibly shifted slightly) with a platform on the north side only. Track 15 remains with a new platform on the south side only, where Track 16 once was.

Hope I got that right. The question is, do the stairwells for the new platforms remain, or are they being shifted? And what is supporting the two remaining tracks in their new alignment?

- Paul

If I'm not mistaken, the "Bay East Teamway" drops into a space currently occupied by the GO bus station. I assume that once the bus terminal moves south that said space will be vacated and construction can proceed, subject to figuring out pedestrian flows north and south. What I'm not clear on is what currently exists in what is being called the "York West Teamway" and how tough it will be to construct within the existing structure.

If I'm not mistaken, the "Bay East Teamway" drops into a space currently occupied by the GO bus station. I assume that once the bus terminal moves south that said space will be vacated and construction can proceed, subject to figuring out pedestrian flows north and south. What I'm not clear on is what currently exists in what is being called the "York West Teamway" and how tough it will be to construct within the existing structure.
It's my understanding that the future 3 concourses will be underground. So the east one will be directly under the new CIBC rail deck park, or whatever it's called. The west one will be south of UPX station.
I can't imagine how confusing the circulation will be. It's confusig enough right now with only 1 concourse, now imagine 4 (plus 1 more for VIA)

I missed something. Three? East, west ... and ?

We've got about five currently (Bay East and West, York East and West ... and VIA ... though the VIA, Bay West and York East are all much more interconnected than they used to be.

Mind you ... will there actually be new east and west concourses? Or just stairways that head in different directions

I missed something. Three? East, west ... and ?

We've got about five currently (Bay East and West, York East and West ... and VIA ... though the VIA, Bay West and York East are all much more interconnected than they used to be.

Mind you ... will there actually be new east and west concourses? Or just stairways that head in different directions
According to the piece I quoted above, there will be 2 new concourses in addition to the existing 3 (York, Bay and VIA)

Back