News   May 21, 2024
 833     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 572     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 450     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Again...this is just for Package 1.
Package 3 includes the additional 2 concourses.
Yes, OK. Here is what (little) the City Report has on Package 3.

• Package 3: USEP Package 3 represents the final phase of the enabling works for GO Expansion to support electrification and rail capacity planning, including OnCorridor work on expanded platforms and tracks to the east and west of the station. Metrolinx proposes to build two new concourses below grade, to support the new platforms located east of Bay Street and west of York Street. Signals, electrification, and fleet with considerations for the operations and maintenance of the rail system are also part of this package.
Initial reviews of Package 3 by the City indicate proposed new vertical access points for the Station proper; impacting areas within the Bay, York, VIA concourses and retail level. Metrolinx and IO advised that in January, 2019, they intend to issue a Request for Proposal.

Yes, OK. Here is what (little) the City Report has on Package 3.

• Package 3: USEP Package 3 represents the final phase of the enabling works for GO Expansion to support electrification and rail capacity planning, including OnCorridor work on expanded platforms and tracks to the east and west of the station. Metrolinx proposes to build two new concourses below grade, to support the new platforms located east of Bay Street and west of York Street. Signals, electrification, and fleet with considerations for the operations and maintenance of the rail system are also part of this package.
Initial reviews of Package 3 by the City indicate proposed new vertical access points for the Station proper; impacting areas within the Bay, York, VIA concourses and retail level. Metrolinx and IO advised that in January, 2019, they intend to issue a Request for Proposal.

1. Concourse could be used loosely. Perhaps a minor expansion of the teamway is what is being discussed. Maybe it is a full blown concourse. We'll have to wait for diagrams/renderings.
  2. This seems to confirm Metrolinx is moving forward with double berthing trains in Union.

Most of the old steel south of platform 12 is gone. Oh what could have been (if they extended the glass atrium)...

20180719_163858.jpg
20180719_163852.jpg

Attachments

• 20180719_163852.jpg
    20180719_163852.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 815
  • 20180719_163858.jpg
    20180719_163858.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 837
Last edited:
^ Are they going to try to make that concrete block structure look a little better? What's it for? Permanent?

I think it's an elevator, perhaps freight.

It's not a freight elevator, as they are only located at the ends of the narrower platforms. The platform closer to the camera is one of those freight platforms.

It's located in the same position as a passenger elevator as evidenced by the one 2 tracks over, but I have no idea why they would have finished it in cinderblock rather than glass. Perhaps a temporary installation before they come back and replace the finishes?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Isn't the atrium above the VIA concourse?
Having trouble imagining where elavators are in the via concourse (???)

Also. I like the glass atrium and all, but how are they going to keep it clean? Was looking up at it the other day and it's pretty filthy. Even with "frosted" sections I could tell it's dirty.

And why didn't they put any kind of side on the north end of the atrium? There's a big gap between there and the great hall building. Haven't noticed, but does snow enter through there easily in winter?

And why didn't they put any kind of side on the north end of the atrium? There's a big gap between there and the great hall building. Haven't noticed, but does snow enter through there easily in winter?

I believe they did some modelling and indicated that the opening won't be a problem.

AoD

Most of the old steel south of platform 12 is gone. Oh what could have been (if they extended the glass atrium)...

View attachment 150636 View attachment 150635

Happy to see they are finally beginning to remove the old steel. What are they doing for permanent lighting in the atrium section. I would imagine there will be some lighting but not what's there currently.

Light up the glassbox with ambient warm glow

Light up the glassbox

Light up the glassbox

LIGHT UP THE GLASSBOX

We need some cheer for Xmas 2019

I figure a grid of about 32 warm-LED floodlights (inside the glass box, shooting upwards to bounce accent lighting around) ought to do. Use the new 180+ watt CRI 95 LED floodlights currently on the market, for healthy happy halogen colored "glow" during dark commutes in early mornings and late evenings.

Last edited:
Light up the glassbox with ambient warm glow

Light up the glassbox

Light up the glassbox

LIGHT UP THE GLASSBOX

We need some cheer for Xmas 2019

I figure a grid of about 32 warm-LED floodlights (inside the glass box, shooting upwards to bounce accent lighting around) ought to do. Use the new 180+ watt CRI 95 LED floodlights currently on the market, for healthy happy halogen colored "glow" during dark commutes in early mornings and late evenings.
Rather than shine light up into the volume of the box, it can be 'edge lit'...the light shone up through the edge of the material:

Frankly I think 'the box' is an incredibly disappointing botch. I've seen factories and welding shops look better than that travesty.

quick update on the food court: flurry of activity everywhere. Of particular note, the gravel patch on the north-east corner is no more. It was covered with fresh concrete. Crews were laying rebar on the gravel patch in the north-west corner.
update: the north west patch is now filled with concrete. I'm assuming these 2 areas will eventually be retailer locations.

In other news, new brackets are being installed in the old part of the shed. I'm assuming they're for new lighting as it's too early for electrification. Kind of ruin the whole "heritage" argument, but what do I know about heritage...

20180920_192844.jpg
20180920_192858.jpg

Attachments

• 20180920_192844.jpg
    20180920_192844.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 819
  • 20180920_192858.jpg
    20180920_192858.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 873
Last edited by a moderator:

Back