News   May 21, 2024
 228     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 274     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.3K     5 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I want to get a fat bike for riding in winter. Canadian Tire has a schwinn for $350, but I don't really trust the brands that they stock...

I want to get a fat bike for riding in winter. Canadian Tire has a schwinn for $350, but I don't really trust the brands that they stock...
Buy second hand from a reputable bike shop with a warranty. At least some will give a warranty the equal of new bikes, and you're going to get at least twice the value for the same money or more second hand, and your investment will be maintained if you maintain the bike. In others words, if you decide to sell, you'll get pretty much what you paid for it less wear. A new bike is worth half what you paid for it within half a year, even in top-notch shape.

Winter bikes take a real beating. Don't believe anyone claiming that they can be 'winter-proofed'. They can't. I've rebuilt many machines over the years, and seen what winter does to a good machine. You can minimize the damage, you can't prevent it. Salt and sand, by their very nature, are destructive. And "sealed bearings?" Almost all aren't. You have to buy something of extraordinary quality to be truly sealed. (SKF bottom brackets, for instance, German made, famous Swedish company, build bearings for aircraft etc. Guarantee them for ten years. No questions asked. That's rare!)(They also cost $200 Cdn with tax)(And they're worth every penny!)

Buy second hand, and buy something of reasonable quality to make it worth the effort to maintain...and to ride. You can buy a junker, you can also buy second hand work boots....do you want dry feet? Now's the time to go looking, Btw: You can get cheaper on-line, Craigs and Kijiji etc...but avoid them. You have no way of knowing what you're getting.

Pay a little more from a bike shop that's been in business for a few years, or from a friend you know.

For $350? You can get a very good second hand bike. And an established bike shop will give you good advice too on how to set it up, and set yourself up on it. For winter riding, you'll want to be more upright, and ready for a spill.

Weather yesterday and today superb! Two of the best days this Summer for cycling since the air was so clear. Last half of the Summer was incredibly humid and hazy. I like it hot, but clear.

Didn't do quite 100 km today, but close. Guelph to Hamilton again, about the sixth time this year via the backroads. Valens Rd highly recommended, passed perhaps ten-twelve vehicles the entire length to west of Hamilton. And then the forever trusted ex Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo rail-trail into the Hammer via Concession 2, Inksetter Rd (which feels like England, the view is stunning, as are the curves and lay of the land, and old farms), Old Governor's Rd (but I couldn't see the Old Guv'nor anywhere) and then the trail. YES!

I have a canadian tire bike.

I only really use it for smaller trips around the city - to and from work, most I do is maybe a 30km ride a few times a year through the valley system. It's fine for that sort of stuff.

I put it through one winter and the chain needs to be replaced, but otherwise it works fine. Obviously not going to last 20 years of use, but it's all i need for my uses.

An incident today at Wellington & Bay (Wellington is blocked).

It appears as if a bus was travelling on Wellington westbound and turning right onto Bay (northbound). The bus is parked 1/2 way through the right turn. And there is a busted up bike nearby.

Don't know whose is at fault or all the facts. Was the bus signalling to turn right and the cyclist overtook him in his blindspot (the bus would have to wait until the light is amber so that the mountain of pedestrians at this intersection are done crossing)? Did the cyclist have the right of way?

Regardless I hope everyone is safe.

There are only 220 cyclists using the path.

Compare that to a 25% increase in the time it takes to drive it at evening rush hour. From 8 minutes to over 10. For over 20,000 vehicles daily.

So we are inconveniencing a majority of these 20,000 for the benefit of 220. Hence the resistance.
20,000? Oh come on ..., there was only 2 hours a day in each direction that the second lane wasn't used for parking! The design capacity of an expressway lane is only 2,000 vehicles an hour - let alone a street with a low speed limit and traffic lights everywhere.

I've observed little change myself. The study showed no real changes, except a couple of minutes northbound, all the way from Queen to O'Connor.

For those trying to short-cut from Scarborough to Downtown down Woodbine/Lakeshore/Gardiner - this very, very minor. Compare to what will happen when they knock down that piece of Gardiner east of Jarvis, and you then have to drive all the way from Carlaw to Jarvis on Lakeshore to get to the new on-ramp!

Thought buses were to get outside audible turn signals? Or were there complaints that it was too loud?
It was a bus from New York IIRC. I have no idea of who is to blame, but I see cyclists *all the time* trying to pass on the right in blind spots. I always stop behind the vehicle so they can see me in the mirror, and I can see them. And then a stream of idiot cyclists pull in front of me and actually cut-off large vehicles making legal right turns. It fffing pizzes me off, as it then takes *longer* for everyone involved rather than allowing the vehicle to turn, and then passing it on the left as it turns. One of the usual complications is the vehicle stopping for pedestrians who have the right of way, and idiot cyclists squeezing past on the right putting pedestrians in danger too.

It was a bus from New York IIRC. I have no idea of who is to blame, but I see cyclists *all the time* trying to pass on the right in blind spots. I always stop behind the vehicle so they can see me in the mirror, and I can see them. And then a stream of idiot cyclists pull in front of me and actually cut-off large vehicles making legal right turns. It fffing pizzes me off, as it then takes *longer* for everyone involved rather than allowing the vehicle to turn, and then passing it on the left as it turns. One of the usual complications is the vehicle stopping for pedestrians who have the right of way, and idiot cyclists squeezing past on the right putting pedestrians in danger too.
I never pass a turning car on the right. If it's safe I'll pass on the left, or just wait while the car turns.

I wish cyclists would respect the same one meter rule they want from cars.

I never pass a turning car on the right. If it's safe I'll pass on the left, or just wait while the car turns.

I wish cyclists would respect the same one meter rule they want from cars.
Just got in from cycling now. The absolute worst cyclist behaviour seems to be in rush hour. I don't know who's worse, motorists, pedestrians or cyclists. I'd say cyclists at this point in time, as in total contradiction to common sense, let alone law and protocol, they do ridiculous things. Today when I'd stopped safe distance, a flock of zombies decided to take to the sidewalk, brushing past moms with babies, kids getting out of school and old ladies.

On the up-side, I get to call idiot morons "%*^()##)_*&" and they hear it, and not one of them dares to even try to defend themselves, they know exactly what they are. But their behaviour will never change. It's everyone else that has to change for them in their self centred zombie world.

One is the law and the other is not.
That is correct. Cars don't need protection from bikes, it's the other way around. And totally unenforceable. It is more relevant on highways, but I'm of the view that if you're on a highway where that is needed...you're on the wrong road as per safety. I've been caught on such roads (some arterial roads are worse than highways) doing cross-country, and unless it's an emergency, I get off and walk on the shoulder. It's just not worth the risk or the tension of cars and even worse, trucks whizzing by with inches to spare. It's a matter of time until you get hit.

That being said, there's some Toronto roads too that just aren't worth the risk of using. Too many in fact, and cycle lanes give many a false sense of security. White lines don't stop idiots.

Back