News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.5K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 525     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I was in Barrie last night and the "bike lane" past Georgian College and the 400 on/off ramps is beyond awful.

I was in Barrie last night and the "bike lane" past Georgian College and the 400 on/off ramps is beyond awful.
It raises the issue as per "If it can't be done properly, don't do it all" as it gives cyclists without a sense of survival (which is many, I defer from using the term 'aggressive' but at least *assertive* being needed when you're in danger) a false sense of security. Sometimes fear is a default mechanism needed to prevent being a victim.

A very sad day for we 'senior' road cyclists. Mike was a real mentor, half a generation up from me, but from the same 'school' of cycling. He was like an older brother to me. I'm at the age that persons are dropping left and right, but this loss really hurt, even though I knew from our last meeting that all was not well:

Here's from Canadian Cycling magazine, copy I received directly from Mariposa's mailing list Dec 30:
Mike Barry, a life in cycling

From scavenging bike parts during the Blitz to building frames, and building enthusiasm for riding, in Canada

January 1st, 2019
by Canadian Cycling Magazine | Posted in News

Courtesy Mariposa Bicycles
Michael John Barry, father, grandfather, husband and a pillar of Canada’s cycling community, died on Dec. 29 at Mount Sinai Hospital. He was 80.
Born in Wimbledon, England, in 1938 to Percival and Eva Fanny (Vardill) Barry, Mike was a builder of communities, an inexhaustible source of knowledge of all aspects of cycling and a mentor to countless people. Although quiet and modest, he was loath to take credit for his many achievements or his profound influence.
RELATED Remembering Mike Barry Sr., 1938-2018
Mike’s association with cycling began with London’s derelict bombsites, which he scavenged for bicycle parts following the Second World War. He sold some of the better parts to fund his cycling, which started when he was 10. Others became the foundation of what became an extensive collection.
After serving in the Royal Air Force, and racing on its cycling team, Mike moved to Canada in 1965. As he travelled throughout the world as a spectrometer technician, Mike, along with his friend John Palmer, purchased a collection of bicycle tubing that had once belonged to C.C.M. In 1969, Mariposa Number One emerged from a rented basement workshop. Nearly 50 years later, and somewhat to Mike’s amazement, Mariposas continue to be hand built in Toronto.
Along with Mariposa, Mike co-founded, with Mike Brown, Bicyclesport, which set a new standard for bike stores in Canada. While Mike was in the bicycle business, he never regarded himself as a businessman. Mariposa, Bicyclesport and his subsequent shops became the birthplace of several bicycle clubs and teams for both adults and children. Mike, along with his wife Clare (Lapp) Barry, who he married in 1972, volunteered as race organizers and officials.
But above all, Mike was a source of inspiration, knowledge and guidance and witty conversation for generations of cyclists ranging from commuters and bike couriers to elite road racers. He changed many of their lives. The only cycling discipline that never attracted his attention was mountain biking.
Mike was also a keen runner completing the Boston Marathon in 1981.
Mike and Clare’s son Michael inherited his father’s love of cycling. Along with his wife Dede (Demet) Barry, Michael continues to run Mariposa. Their children, Liam Barry and Ashlin Barry both joined their grandfather on rides.
Until several weeks ago, Mike was riding his regular route from north of the Metro Toronto Zoo to Annina’s Bakeshop in Goodwood, Ont. As always, he ordered tea and an Eccles cake.
A funeral will take place at Rosedale United Church, Sat., Jan., 5 at 11 a.m. In lieu of flowers donations can be made in his memory to the World Bicycle Relief or the Bicycles For Humanity.
Mike Barry Sr. Image: Mariposa Bicycles/Bicycle Specialties
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/mike-barry-life-cycling/

Last edited:
Last year the City opened a separated bike lane (bi-directional) on the south side of Harbour Street between Bay and York and going further west. Unfortunately, though it is certainly not heavily used, the adjacent property owners seem to use it as a snow dump. I reported it to 311 who told me my report will be investigated 'within 2 weeks" - by which time, with luck, the snow will have melted!

Last year the City opened a separated bike lane (bi-directional) on the south side of Harbour Street between Bay and York and going further west. Unfortunately, though it is certainly not heavily used, the adjacent property owners seem to use it as a snow dump. I reported it to 311 who told me my report will be investigated 'within 2 weeks" - by which time, with luck, the snow will have melted!

DSC, if you're not happy with City response - contact the councillor for the area - Ward 10 Spadina Fort York Councillor Joe Cressy

Cycle Toronto also have Ward groups for most of the downtown wards; suburban wards tend to be grouped up.

I like that path, I use it every now and then taking bike share out of Union Station, and have also noticed the snow on it. Luckily it's pretty wide, and you can scoot onto the sidewalk if needed. I also hope they clear it better.

Anyone know if the path is eventually supposed to meet up with the trail at Remembrance Drive? Harbour Street is not in the 10-year plan, so I'm guessing it was added afterwards. I usually take it to Spadina, and then use the decommisioned-but-sort-of-still-there eastbound bike lane on Queen's Quay to Bathurst to head north again.

DSC, if you're not happy with City response - contact the councillor for the area - Ward 10 Spadina Fort York Councillor Joe Cressy

Cycle Toronto also have Ward groups for most of the downtown wards; suburban wards tend to be grouped up.

Joe Cressy and his office are useless. Those two weeks it will take for 311 to investigate will be about 1/5 of the time it will take Cressy’s office to bother replying to a complaint, if at all.

Joe Cressy and his office are useless. Those two weeks it will take for 311 to investigate will be about 1/5 of the time it will take Cressy’s office to bother replying to a complaint, if at all.
With Councillors trying to cope with double size wards it is unreasonable to expect speedy responses or, unfortubately, any responses to more minor things. Councillors should try to deal with MAJOR things (e.g. why 311 is understaffed and why Transporration takes 5 weeks to investigate) and not why bike path x is unploughed. Yes, I want bike path x ploughed but .....

Wednesday night. Richmond & Portland. Cyclist passes on the right side of a van turning right. Cyclist stops, gestures at the van, turns to me, mutters something about not looking and I reply back to him "You saw the van turning too!" He just shrugged and went about his way. I don't understand the lack of common sense and concern for one's safety.

Everyday, living and working downtown, I see pedestrians staring at their phones wandering around oblivious to everything, some even stopping in the middle of intersections to fuck around with their phones. I see cyclists do lots of stupid and illegal things with no concern for their own safety. And drivers doing bullshit stuff too.

And I'm a pedestrian first and foremost! I also use the TTC and occasionally drive when I need to. I used to cycle a lot when I was younger too.

The people who only do one method of transportation really need to go and do the others to get perspective so they'll behave better. It boggles my mind.

Joe Cressy has never provided a speedy response.

He's simply not as effective a constituency representative as most other progressive urban councillors like Wong-Tam, Perks, or Layton. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt many times and he's only been disappointing on his response to local matters. He's great on many big picture issues, however, though I've disagreed with his willingness to throw King Street under the bus in the name of TIFF, and his enthusiasm for Sidewalk Labs. He's there because of his family connections and deep NDP roots - other progressives wouldn't dare run against him.

Joe Cressy has never provided a speedy response.
Maybe so but with his now much larger Ward I doubt the situation will improve and it really may be time for us (citizens) no longer expecting Councillors to deal with (fairly minor) one-at-a-time issues and concentrate on the 'big picture' - OK, not likely to happen but ....

With Councillors trying to cope with double size wards it is unreasonable to expect speedy responses or, unfortubately, any responses to more minor things.

They've gotten twice as many staff members for, in Joe Cressy's case, a ward barely any larger than his old one.

Back