News   May 03, 2024
 241     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 193     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 116     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I’m happy to see that a traffic light is finally being installed at the intersection of Richmond and Simcoe. This will make it much safer for cyclists.

C1FB8AC8-0B95-4E96-9FD2-E55CBBB000B6.jpeg

61A4F80A-F2A3-4C51-A5E0-92809C94F989.jpeg

Another problem: those damned Uber Eats and Foodora meal delivery people think they're positively invincible. Saturday evening I was driving east of Yonge on Queen and a Foodora cyclist kept pace with the traffic flow for a couple of blocks. He did not exactly blow past each intersection, but he stopped well beyond the white line when the light was red; and raced off before our light had turned green, in the little window of no man's land when the lights are red for all four ways (and drivers are completing last second left turns and high speed runs through the intersection). EDIT: I am reminded of a similar situation a few months ago when a Foodora cyclist was pinching near my car in my freakin' blind spot at King-Spadina.

Last edited:
Another problem: those damned Uber Eats and Foodora meal delivery people think they're positively invincible. Saturday evening I was driving east of Yonge on Queen and a Foodora cyclist kept pace with the traffic flow for a couple of blocks. He did not exactly blow past each intersection, but he stopped well beyond the white line when the light was red; and raced off before our light had turned green, in the little window of no man's land when the lights are red for all four ways.
Actually that one sounds pretty tame. Those guys are kamikaze cyclists, with very few exceptions. At least you have hundreds of kilos of weight surrounding you. Those guys are hell to deal with for conscientious cyclists, and I've vented venom at a number of them. Losers on bikes... not one of them stops when challenged though. They know they're in the wrong.

Oh yes, I know they pose no threat to my physical safety (and even then, who's to say I won't be forced to swerve into the path of an oncoming streetcar because the cyclist is dangling all over the place). I am mad at them for their own sake.

Oh yes, I know they pose no threat to my physical safety (and even then, who's to say I won't be forced to swerve into the path of an oncoming streetcar because the cyclist is dangling all over the place). I am mad at them for their own sake.
Except they put more than just themselves in danger. They put other cyclists and pedestrians in danger too. I desist from typing the words I've uttered in anger....

The city has replaced one vehicle parking spot with a metal bike parking rack at the southwest corner of Front and Market streets. Didn't get a chance to snap a pic, but will do so next time I'm in the area. Is this new? Are there any additional details?

The city has replaced one vehicle parking spot with a metal bike parking rack at the southwest corner of Front and Market streets. Didn't get a chance to snap a pic, but will do so next time I'm in the area. Is this new? Are there any additional details?

They've done this in a smattering of locations across the city. Not sure if there's an official rollout plan or if it's more ad hoc, but you see it here and there.

Cars in that photo are way too neatly arranged to be Toronto :D

Even the quaint Irish are a generation ahead of us:
Minister for Transport asks NTA to set up office to overlook cycling projects

Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 08:36 AM

A new Cycling Office is to be set up by the National Transport Authority.
The Minister for Transport Shane Ross has asked the NTA to establish the office in order to ensure cycling infrastructure is delivered as quickly as possible.

A number of cycling projects will begin construction next year, including three phases of the Royal Canal project; McCurtain Street in Cork and a cycle path from Clontarf to the city centre in Dublin.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...fice-to-overlook-cycling-projects-893254.html

Back