Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

I took a bike ride yesterday along the new path - frustratingly the part between Simcoe and Rees is not yet open.. But otherwise it looks great.

The mess of cars desperately trying to make left turns into downtown is quite humorous. Both Bay St. and York St. are a complete mess from it.

Harbour was paved last Saturday, but they've been going gangbusters on the site to get it done before the snow.

I took a bike ride yesterday along the new path - frustratingly the part between Simcoe and Rees is not yet open.. But otherwise it looks great.

The mess of cars desperately trying to make left turns into downtown is quite humorous. Both Bay St. and York St. are a complete mess from it.

Harbour to York is a mess most of the time because the distance between Harbour and Lake Shore is so short that it just backs up. If TO wanted to fix it they should just time the left turn arrow with the York/Lake Shore light and let the traffic flow through.

Bay and Harbour flows at most hours of the day, especially once the dedicated turn lane re-opens. The only backup happens when a driver decides that one of the through lanes is suddenly a private left turn lane.

before the snow? We've got like 2 months until we see snow, I certainly hope they can apply the final touches by then. Most road construction projects run late into November before shutting down for the winter.

before the snow? We've got like 2 months until we see snow, I certainly hope they can apply the final touches by then. Most road construction projects run late into November before shutting down for the winter.
It seems to me that they ARE applying the final touches what with paving, line painting, new lights etc. I have little doubt all will be done by December, which is 2.5 months away.

We had a look last week and it should be complete as plan, other than trees and what landscaping.

They just paved the York/Harbour intersection and plane Harbour St and Bay intersection. Paving equipment was sitting there to be paving all this week for Harbour. Doesn't take that long to paint the road markers after hours.

I am pretty sure that all of the paving and line-painting is complete. I cannot see any of that missing in my photos from the posts on the previous page. It looks like it's just going to be Fall planting season shortly, unless they want to put the trees in in the Spring so that they don't have to contend with Salted Roads season right away.

I am pretty sure that all of the paving and line-painting is complete. I cannot see any of that missing in my photos from the posts on the previous page. It looks like it's just going to be Fall planting season shortly, unless they want to put the trees in in the Spring so that they don't have to contend with Salted Roads season right away.

Yes. Everything was finished last weekend. The only thing that's left two be done: planting trees and finishing the bike trail between Lower Simcoe and Rees street.

FYI, they did NOT use Silva cells for the trees on the North side of Harbour street.

They don't necessarily do silva cells when the trenches already have (I think) 30 cubic metres or more of soil exposed to the sky in them. That's deemed enough to produce a healthy, mature tree. @Northern Light know more about this, and could correct me.

With respect to salt - is it just me or is the city using less of it the last year or two?

They don't necessarily do silva cells when the trenches already have (I think) 30 cubic metres or more of soil exposed to the sky in them. That's deemed enough to produce a healthy, mature tree. @Northern Light know more about this, and could correct me.

Not quite that simple.

Soil Volume is an important measure, the low end requirement for a large canopy tree is roughly 30 cubic metres of uncompacted soil. This can be achieved thorugh planting in open trenches, lawns/forests, and/or using Silva Cells.

However, there's another part to the story.

The tree would prefer to put roots out equally in all direction (think of the tree as being in the heart of circle with roots radiating out).

Given a chance, trees will send out roots quite far. A common guideline is 12 inches from the tree for each inch of diameter of the trunk. (think of how big you want the tree to be at maturity)

That means a tree as little as six inches (2ocm around) could send routes out six feet from the tree, but the high end is even higher, studies have shown a six inch diameter tree can throw out roots to 19 FEET.

To put this in perspective, the City of Toronto tree by-law only protects trees that are 30cm (1 foot) around or larger, which would indicate roots at a distance between 12 feet to 38 feet from the tree, if the conditions permit.

Of course there are variations by species, and there's a difference between 'ideal' and necessary.

From a soil volume perspective, even Silva Cell planted trees are recommended to receive minimum volume of 1000m3 of uncompacted soil volume per tree for a canopy sized (large maple/oak) tree, with volumes being less, if a smaller growing tree is desired (600m3)

How does the apply in the context of an open-trench planting?

You can almost certainly hit the soil volume easily enough without use of a Silva Cell.

However, unless the planter is quite wide there is likely still some advantage to using the cells under the adjacent sidewalk or road bed.

You really don't need to protect 20ft every direction, much as that would be nice.

But you really do want at least 5 feet of protected width (2ft 6 inches on each side of the tree).

Put another way, if your planter/trench is 1.55m wide or more, and sufficiently long and deep to get you 30m3 of soil volume, per tree, you're in pretty good shape. Most urban trees deal with far worse.

But even then, if you're able to increase that width by another 1.5m or more per side, your potential for a much larger tree increases substantially.

The Silva Cell and/or similar concepts are really about protection from compaction and opportunity for water infiltration.

Exposed soil carries with it additional benefits in terms of easier infiltration of water without intervention (permeable paving, or even conveyment of water via pipes or irrigation) as well as some opportunity for natural nutrient acquisition via dead leaves and insects and the like.

In general, the more the better.

Of course, the need to protect against excess salt is critical as well, and options for this vary, but typically involve a curb or seatwall around your trench/planter in a climate where heavy salt use is common.

But remembering the root reach we discussed, salt may be an issue even beyond the planter/trench area.

However, once a tree reaches a certain size its much better able to handle some saline intake. Salt is a more critical issue when the tree is smaller.

Worth adding here is that the cost of Silva Cells will vary by design choice/layout, but you're looking at $10,000 plus per tree. So the tendency will be to avoid using them if you've created really good conditions otherwise.

I'm just eyeballing the pics, I don't have the schematics in front of me. I would say the trees going in the wider pits on the north side can probably do pretty well without additional Silva Cell protection.

The ones in the narrow planters on the south side would likely benefit more from such protection.

Last edited:
I watched a car drive down the cycle lane between York and Bay yesterday evening. Unbelievable.

EDIT: Actually, looking back at the photos on the previous page, I suspect he'd come out of the RBC Waterpark Place parking garage, and turned right directly into the cycle path. The path could use some centre line trail-style paint to make it visibly different to the roadway.

Last edited:
Sunset:

20180927_191622edit.jpg

Attachments

• 20180927_191622edit.jpg
    20180927_191622edit.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 560
Tree planing is coming!

HARBOUR ST From YORK ST To BAY ST

Eastbound south lane closed for tree planting.

Closure Type:Construction (Planned)

Time Frame:Daily

Until:Oct 6, 2018

Hours:07:00 a.m. to 03:00 p.m.

Impact:Major

Road Class:Major Arterial

District:Toronto and East York

Contractor:Grascan

ID:R93766

Tree planing is coming!

HARBOUR ST From YORK ST To BAY ST

Eastbound south lane closed for tree planting.

Closure Type:Construction (Planned)

Time Frame:Daily

Until:Oct 6, 2018

Hours:07:00 a.m. to 03:00 p.m.

Impact:Major

Road Class:Major Arterial

District:Toronto and East York

Contractor:Grascan

ID:R93766

Palm trees? (What with the climate warming. lol)

It would be warmer in the downtown than out in Scarberia.

Back