News   Apr 19, 2024
 953     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 673     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

I think expanding to the 427 or something would have been wiser and infrastructure could have been built allowing people to easily come to the station by busses and such.

Maybe I am silly but I am thinking perhaps the subway could be like in other cities and Branch off like Line 2A to the Airport, 2B to Square 1.

I think Kipling is a good terminal. It's a transfer to the GO train, has an extensive bus terminal, and a new regional bus terminal on the way. Along with the plans for intensifying the area, it makes it a good anchor point. The width of Dundas Street there and the proximity to major highways also makes it good for BRT. I don't see a need for extending Line 2 westward, the Bloor line from Kipling to STC is a a good length, and any longer will encourage inefficient trips that are better served by enhanced GO train service.

I strongly think that we would benefit from a 1-stop extension to Cloverdale. Kipling would still be able to function well for the reasons stated (so would Islington for that matter), but Cloverdale would be better connected as a hub for Mississauga buses. Plus it enables more development opportunity along Dundas.

I think Kipling is a good terminal. It's a transfer to the GO train, has an extensive bus terminal, and a new regional bus terminal on the way. Along with the plans for intensifying the area, it makes it a good anchor point. The width of Dundas Street there and the proximity to major highways also makes it good for BRT. I don't see a need for extending Line 2 westward, the Bloor line from Kipling to STC is a a good length, and any longer will encourage inefficient trips that are better served by enhanced GO train service.

I support an extension to Dundas/The East Mall (Cloverdale mall), followed by something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukit_Panjang_LRT_line to Sherway

Nah, it should just be elevated after Kipling (if feasible.) There are no single family homes right up against line 2 in that area so there shouldn't be any NIMBY complaints. Then Cloverdale, East Mall and Sherway can be redeveloped bigger than Humber Bay Shores ever dreamed.

A 2 stop extension to Sherway with a stop at Honeydale / 407 could make sense. Make it cheap by keeping it along the rail corridor as much as possible, do it for a relatively little amount of money.

The problem is that Metrolinx is building a nice new regional terminal at Kipling right now, while an extension to Sherway would mean that the terminal would be better placed closer to the 427 at Honeydale.

A 2 stop extension to Sherway with a stop at Honeydale / 407 could make sense. Make it cheap by keeping it along the rail corridor as much as possible, do it for a relatively little amount of money.

The problem is that Metrolinx is building a nice new regional terminal at Kipling right now, while an extension to Sherway would mean that the terminal would be better placed closer to the 427 at Honeydale.
The Regional Terminal is not the issue, but the 2 developments to the west are. Then that condo to the west is the major object in the way.

Don't know if the 100' setback for residential buildings apply to CP these days like Metrolinx, but crash wall are.

It's best to take the line up to Dundas to Cloverdale and build the real terminal as per The Big Move.

Looking at the site a week ago, 2019 before traffic use it. The retaining wall is in place on Bloor to allow the building of the south side sidewalk and the eastbound lanes. That should be done this year and open.

Still a lot of road work to get the new road to Kipling and Bloor yet. Then there is the new road to Dundas to support the change. Nothing has started from Kipling to Dundas to the west. Then the southbound lanes on Kipling have to be rebuilt.

Work could start next year for the Y.

Back when the Kipling Station was first opened, 1981, they were planning for rapid transit extensions using light rail (ALRV). Both Kennedy and Kipling were to have them, Kennedy was first. However, instead of light rail, they ended up with ICTS. And there it ended.

See link.

20120623-Kipling-Diagram.jpg

Sept 22
I may have to take back by comment about no traffic on this new road until 2019, as they been busy since I last saw it.

Kipling northbound lanes have been raise 3+ feet where the new Dundas Rd will cross it and had concrete pour for the new lanes. There is a ramp just north of it for the time being and was to received paving as I was leaving The concrete was to be pave as well. Heading home, it was paved and waiting marking so the southbound lanes could be shift to it. One traffic has been shifted, then the existing road can be torn up and raise to match the northbound lanes. I expected the off ramp to St Albans Rd will be close until the road is rebuilt.

Once the new lanes are in place, concrete can be pour to the west to connect to the new pour lanes leading up to the existing Dundas Rd. Those new lanes stop well short of the existing lanes, including the curbs.

The missing section between Kipling and the pour road on the east side should see concrete pour this coming week.

Nothing done at the east end to allow the new road to connect to Bloor or Dundas, as well replacing the eastbound lanes on Bloor.

Eastbound traffic will be the first to move to the new road so they can build part of the westbound lanes on the exsiting road.

Was planning on getting more shots today, but no time to do so.
31004072598_8447c48423_b.jpg

44826692492_1d65ed72c5_b.jpg

43065270920_d7d93455d5_b.jpg

44156669884_4a090d2aff_b.jpg

Last edited:

Back