News   May 02, 2024
 780     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 232     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 308     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for posting that. That was interesting. She's clearly uncomfortable. Let's see how she moves forward. But as of right now, she should be asking herself some really tough questions--and something about her demeanor tells me she might be doing just that.
Now I'm the abject cynic, and you're the optimist. That few minutes has received scathing reviews in a number or quarters. She didn't stand a chance. Poor lost little girl, in way over her head. And Daddy can't help her on this one. And pardon my appearing to be sexist on that, but *she* makes it that way. She has the background to stand above him, and give him ultimatums, or she walks. But that would take character and principle...

This is a lost branch of the ConReaction species, and lacking the gene pool and mitochondria to perpetuate the genus. There's far too many abberhent strands of DNA.

First the Wise Old Men must make themselves heard, Rae's now onboard, the list keeps growing. Nenshi (one of the younger City branch is adamant, as is the entire Assoc of Munis).

Ford will be stopped. Aberration is usually its own worst factor in eventual self-destruction.

Let's take that as a given...but then what? How far can Ford possibly travel? Even the wild nationalists in Alberta and Quebec would despise him. If Ford isn't stopped in the next few weeks, the boil he creates will fester so deeply that the host has to expel him to survive.

Conservative Schism? It's not if, but when...

As I said in another thread, don't be surprised if there's a threat on his life. The way things are proceeding, it's like he's practically tempting such an inevitability--even if in a "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" way...

I wish it might go this way, but he's already playing the bullshit "elected" vs "appointed" bollocks and there are people fool enough to go for it. How many people? No idea, but anything more than 5% of the population is a sad commentary on society.

Some people are more interested in having ideological fantasies based in rubbish come true than they are to have their rights and obligations under the constitution upheld!
Messed up, I know. Glue huffers? They can't all be.

Seriously, the LG isn't going to do jack to oppose this. Ford would just paint her as an unelected figurehead daring to meddle with elected politicians.

All evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing - Case in point, Trudeau today. He turned his back on the progressives he pretends he is a part of. Could have won cheap easy points playing to his base, but no, he turned his cheek to the bully when he had the power to deny him.

Really disillusioned with politics in this country.

Seriously, the LG isn't going to do jack to oppose this. Ford would just paint her as an unelected figurehead daring to meddle with elected politicians.

All evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing - Case in point, Trudeau today. He turned his back on the progressives he pretends he is a part of. Could have won cheap easy points playing to his base, but no, he turned his cheek to the bully when he had the power to deny him.

Got to intercede on this. My impulse is to agree with you, but smart leadership is in knowing what battles to fight, and what to avoid, if you want to win the war. I think others in the Fed Lib Party are quite active on the point, perhaps quietly, like Adam Vaughan.

The point is very well put here:
Opinion | Will Quebec be the next province to use the 'notwithstanding' clause?

As I said in another thread, don't be surprised if there's a threat on his life. The way things are proceeding, it's like he's practically tempting such an inevitability--even if in a "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" way...
And I've also written much the same, I totally agree. His behaviour is 'aberrant', and unstable systems tend to destroy themselves, Nature protects herself that way. Organisms with poor genes tend towards being rendered infertile. Nuff said...If anyone in that pathetic excuse for a Cabinet wish to survive, they'd best separate the gene pool...

Trudeau showed himself to be a joke of a man with his electoral reform lie. That was a long time ago.

Lol, politics in this country.

I used to be a politics nerd. Then I went through too many elections with no vote (not having your vote count is the same as not having one) and I've seen too many minority rule governments play like they own us which is an illegitimate form of governance. I mean, nobody thinks white rule in South Africa was legit. It's the same thing, minus the racism.
Now, I'm just jaded.
When you have people standing up and saying that these minority rule governments have mandates to do whatever it is they wish....and in this case, actually do whatever it is they wish......it's a joke.

Here's a wrinkle I realized last night, and that is sure to crater one of everyone's rationality synapse into absolute oblivion:

1. Ford has argued that, among other half-baked bullshit reasons, he is within his rights to use the NWC to overturn the ruled Charter violation because the Judge was appointed and Ford was elected with a majority mandate.

2. Trudeau was elected, and not appointed, with a majority mandate.

3. Therefore, Trudeau is within his rights to use the NWC to overturn any ruled Charter violations (from 1 and 2)

BUT

4. Ford has budgeted 30 million (that's 30 000 000, 7 zeros, fellas) to launch a court case arguing that Trudeau's carbon tax is unconstitutional

5. This court case will be decided by an appointed, not elected, Judge

6. Assume for argument that the Judge finds the federal carbon tax unconstitutional

7. Trudeau is within his rights to use the NWC to overturn this finding (3, 6)

8. But Ford should already know (7), since it follows directly from (3) and (6), and this means that he's wasted 30 000 000.

9. Assume for argument that the Judge finds the federal carbon tax constitutional.

10. Ford has again wasted 30 000 000.

11. Therefore, by parity of reasoning Ford is guaranteeing he's wasting 30 000 000. (8, 10)

But wait, it gets worse:

12. Ford proclaims he is a fiscal conservative.

13. Fiscal conservatives don't take actions that guarantee they'll waste 30 000 000.

14. Therefore, Ford isn't a fiscal conservative (12, 13)

15. Ford is a completely unprincipled moron and anyone who defends both his use of the NWC and at the same time his carbon tax lawsuit is also a moron (Inference to the Best Explanation from (12, 14).

Time to go find a hole for me to die in. The world is officially an indifferent machination of brute matter.

Last edited:
Here's a wrinkle I realized last night, and that is sure to crater one of everyone's rationality synapse into absolute oblivion:

1. Ford has argued that, among other half-baked bullshit reasons, he is within his rights to use the NWC to overturn the ruled Charter violation because the Judge was appointed and Ford was elected with a majority mandate.

2. Trudeau was elected, and not appointed, with a majority mandate.

3. Therefore, Trudeau is within his rights to use the NWC to overturn any ruled Charter violations (from 1 and 2)

BUT

4. Ford has budgeted 30 million (that's 30 000 000, 7 zeros, fellas) to launch a court case arguing that Trudeau's carbon tax is unconstitutional

5. This court case will be decided by an appointed, not elected, Judge

6. Assume for argument that the Judge finds the federal carbon tax unconstitutional

7. Trudeau is within his rights to use the NWC to overturn this finding (3, 6)

8. But Ford should already know (7), since it follows directly from (3) and (6), and this means that he's wasted 30 000 000.

9. Assume for argument that the Judge finds the federal carbon tax constitutional.

10. Ford has again wasted 30 000 000.

11. Therefore, by parity of reasoning Ford is guaranteeing he's wasting 30 000 000. (8, 10)

But wait, it gets worse:

12. Ford proclaims he is a fiscal conservative.

13. Fiscal conservatives don't take actions that guarantee they'll waste 30 000 000.

14. Therefore, Ford isn't a fiscal conservative (12, 13)

15. Ford is a completely unprincipled moron and anyone who defends both his use of the NWC and at the same time his carbon tax lawsuit is also a moron (Inference to the Best Explanation from (12, 14).

Time to go find a hole for me to die in. The world is officially an indifferent machination of brute matter.
Ford is an unprincipled half-wit with a rich tapestry of daddy issues and a gilded grudge against everyone who was ever mean to him.

Everything is viewed through this lens. He doesn’t see hypocrisy because all of those issues are compartmentalized. That’s why a devoted family man is getting some on the side, why he both hates and is using the courts and why he finally has unlimited power and nobody can take away his toys.

Argentina was considered a stable representative democracy for nearly a 100 years before the first dictator imposed himself through military rule in 1930.

We've reached 150 years here in Canada. How much longer will we last?

Back