News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 586     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Asked Brampton Transit what their plan is for September. It's a lot better than York Region's weaksauce.

(@BramptonTransit):

It's disappointing that the 501 and 501A/C will have different terminal points now, but I understand the reasoning. York wants most buses off its campus, and somehow, Brampton will save its customers going to York University from the double-fare or a long walk from the north side of Pioneer Village Station.

The 501C was introduced last year as supplementary express service to meet the demand. They're also promising more service on the Queen Street corridor this fall.

But it also means no one-seat ride to York U via 501 for Woodbridge passengers.
I wonder how the buses will turn back at VMC?

I've always wondered why they couldn't add programming to Presto that if you come in and out of the same station within 5 minutes, you get your fare refunded.

Most people are not that afraid to cross even a busy street. That's mostly a UT thing.

I read on the TTC website the reason for a lack of a single concourse at Pioneer Village is because the weight of the soil is needed to weigh the platform area down because of the high water table.

Most people are not that afraid to cross even a busy street. That's mostly a UT thing.

I read on the TTC website the reason for a lack of a single concourse at Pioneer Village is because the weight of the soil is needed to weigh the platform area down because of the high water table.

It's not being afraid to cross the street, It's having to wait for up to 3-5 minutes for a walk signal.

It's not being afraid to cross the street, It's having to wait for up to 3-5 minutes for a walk signal.
In the cold while literally standing on top of a multi-million dollar project your tax dollars paid for that go under the street but could not be designed to get you from your bus to the other side of the street.

In the cold while literally standing on top of a multi-million dollar project your tax dollars paid for that go under the street but could not be designed to get you from your bus to the other side of the street.

If there's no fare integration in the short term, it might be worth it to build a pedestrian bridge over Steeles.

Attachments

• tumblr_lgedv2Vtt21qf4x93o1_40020110725-22047-38imqt.jpg
    tumblr_lgedv2Vtt21qf4x93o1_40020110725-22047-38imqt.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 308
In the original 2018 plan, they wanted a new 100 Route to replaced Viva Purple from RHC to YorkU, but they decided to go to a weekday only Viva Purple service to YorkU (which was a better idea but a bit confusing), and now they're removing any direct service from RHC to YorkU? Why couldn't they run a route that went from RHC to Pioneer Village Terminal via Highway 407 during weekdays? I guess it wouldn't be cost effective.
View attachment 152726

York Region Transit must be looking to Greyhound Canada as a role model.

Asked Brampton Transit what their plan is for September. It's a lot better than York Region's weaksauce.

(@BramptonTransit):

It's disappointing that the 501 and 501A/C will have different terminal points now, but I understand the reasoning. York wants most buses off its campus, and somehow, Brampton will save its customers going to York University from the double-fare or a long walk from the north side of Pioneer Village Station.

The 501C was introduced last year as supplementary express service to meet the demand. They're also promising more service on the Queen Street corridor this fall.

But it also means no one-seat ride to York U via 501 for Woodbridge passengers.
Although taking their buses to Pioneer Village rather than right onto York Campus would see them sharing a bus depot with an agency that they have a transfer policy/agreement in place with. I am sure it is not huge number of people, but there are likely some people now wondering "but how do I transfer to my YRT/VIVA route".

Although taking their buses to Pioneer Village rather than right onto York Campus would see them sharing a bus depot with an agency that they have a transfer policy/agreement in place with. I am sure it is not huge number of people, but there are likely some people now wondering "but how do I transfer to my YRT/VIVA route".

I figure they'll tell anyone wanting to connect to YRT to take the 501 "local" route and transfer somewhere along Highway 7. It's not much different than it is now, except they'll lose anyone in Woodbridge taking the 501 to York U on a one seat, one fare ride.

The travel times to VMC (via Highway 7) or York University (via Highway 407) subway stations is about the same, though VMC will have a direct transfer instead of a 2-3 minute outdoor walk. Trouble is, at least with a common eastern terminal, one could take either a 501 or 501A heading to Brampton. If a 501 was right there and ready to go, it'd be a bit better than waiting 15 minutes for the faster 501A. This will be an issue evenings and weekends when the 501C doesn't operate, but BT is promising more service in September on the route, so I'll be curious to see the new schedule.

I can't believe they procrastinated so badly on a fare integration arrangement.

Back