News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 449     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

If Dundas is better suited for buses, as a lack of major cross-intersections and admitted low ridership proves, why go through with another haphazard subway extension? When large laps like Hwy 27 to Dixie to Cawthra to Hurontario need to be covered, its more logical to use BRT instead. If Missisauga must have a subway it should route along Hurontario, which if integrated with GO service along the Milton or Lakeshore West corridors would result in peak service between downtown Toronto and MCC that very well could match or outdo a meandering 30+ stops of the BD line.

IMO, the Dundas subway should stay on Dundas and not go to Sq One, because a simple diversion of the Milton Line would be more effective anyways.

The entire Dundas East corridor can be redeveloped easily and become much denser, though Dundas is already a busy corridor as is. All but one of the stations of th eextension would have major connections. Cawthra could connect to GO and Dixie would probably be even busier than the Sherway Gardens station, thanks to the Dixie bus.

And of course, the Hurontario station would be the busiest of all, even if the 19 remains as a regular bus. And that is exactly what I would do if I was mayor: get the subway extended to Dundas/Hurontario which will force major transit improvements along Hurontario Street. Because the problem is not the lack of money, it is the lack of political will.

The Dundas area will employ a quarter of a million people once the subway rolls through? That's a bold statement.

I said both, but mostly residential and retail. Commercial is something different.

GTA-wide dream transit maps thread!

This thread is like the dream TTC maps thread, but with an emphasis on the entire GTA(H) region. I made one on Google Earth, and although some parts are controversial and whacky, I still keep a dose of realism. I got the idea for this after seeing RedRocket191's website and his Google Earth map.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2ezgox4gtld

Here you go! Trash it, praise it, critique it, anything! :)

Not bad. It looks like a lot of effort went into it.

A few comments:
- No rail access to Pearson. Not even BRT. You know I'm not a fan of Blue22, but nearly all fantasy maps have some sort of link.
- DRL - the other top hit in fantasy maps.

Otherwise, it looks good! Good to see the concept of regional rail brought forward, though the Newmarket/Barrie line remains devoid of stops, even with Caledonia added.

A Fictional Transit Map

Since we're all sharing fantasy maps, here, I thought I'd share one of my own. I'll post this remotely for a limited time.

http://clarksbury.com/subway-fantasy.jpg

It goes with a story I'm working on called "The Night Girl". And before anybody gets excited, they should know that the subway boom that builds this map is the result of using cheap troll and goblin labour.

:)

...James

EGLINTON would be the most useful of any new subway line.

Since we're all sharing fantasy maps, here, I thought I'd share one of my own. I'll post this remotely for a limited time.

http://clarksbury.com/subway-fantasy.jpg

It goes with a story I'm working on called "The Night Girl". And before anybody gets excited, they should know that the subway boom that builds this map is the result of using cheap troll and goblin labour.

:)

...James

Now those are routes that I would support!

I'd add the following:
- Your Sheppard East line goes to UTSC, but your Don Mills line does not go to Finch (or Steeles)...Seneca College at Finch is larger than UTSC and has a heck of a lot more people living nearby, not to mention the Don Mills line north of Sheppard would bring people close to the over 100,000 jobs in the 404/407 area.
- Your Sheppard West line goes to Humber...why not continue on to Woodbine and the airport? It's not much further and those two stops would be well used.
- If the Don Mills line went through Pape, it'd serve a lot more people, including Greektown, a large apartment cluster at Cosburn and, most importantly, Thorncliffe Park. People on the Danforth line transferring to the DRL can afford to do so one station later.

Now those are routes that I would support!

I'd add the following:
- Your Sheppard East line goes to UTSC, but your Don Mills line does not go to Finch (or Steeles)...Seneca College at Finch is larger than UTSC and has a heck of a lot more people living nearby, not to mention the Don Mills line north of Sheppard would bring people close to the over 100,000 jobs in the 404/407 area.

There's no reason why UTSC can't be served by a subway too. If population densities were all subway building went by, we'd have less than half the system we've got today. It makes no sense to sacrifice UTSC for Seneca when its a mere km away from Don Mills Stn, UTSC's about 10kms from Kennedy Stn.

Everyone knows college-aged commuters are the most reliable source of riders a transit system can count on. UTSC is a university in its own right with over 10,000 enrolees and a stop there would be strategically in the middle of East Scarborough. Trippers to Malvern, Morningside Hts, the Zoo and Durham could be easily routed from there; 133 and 38 reroutes, etc. Your also neglecting the new townhouses occuring just to the northeast of the campus, high rises and the Mapleview condo on Mornelle Ct, the growing enrolment at Centennial College and proximity to Centenary.

^ It is funny, UTM is the same distance from Union as UTSC, has the same amount of students, yet there isn't a single subway stop in Mississauga on that map, unless you count the Airport stop, which, by the way, should be two stops since there are two terminals. People always think that the subways should extend only east and north, even though the GTA has developed mostly to the west.

^ It is funny, UTM is the same distance from Union as UTSC, has the same amount of students, yet there isn't a single subway stop in Mississauga on that map, unless you count the Airport stop, which, by the way, should be two stops since there are two terminals. People always think that the subways should extend only east and north, even though the GTA has developed mostly to the west.

Yes, but Mississauga has a better transit intrastructure overall in terms of express surface routes (200 series) than Scarborough does. Nowhere east of Main Street's really on the grid, just a couple widely spaced mega-terminals in odd places, allergic to pedestrian accessibility. The subway literally reaches the western city limits anyway, while the other end barely scratches the surface.

I wouldn't wish an extension of BD on Peel. The worse part of my daily commute to Toonto, doesn't occur in Brampton or Mississauga, but actually when transferring onto the local bus+subway+bus migraine that is the TTC. S-Bahn to Square One and all-day service on the Milton Line would create a direct MCC to Union link alot quicker than 30 subway stops (7 new stops+18 BD+5 lower YUS).

Someone asked

Someone asked me to steroid up my map:
TTC_v5_E_SSS.png

I was gonna do to it a ride guide, but midterms are killing me, hahaha.

Link:
http://ttc.g3z.com/TTC_v5_E_S.png

Alternate Link:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9914/ttcv5eswm7.png

Back