News   May 17, 2024
 386     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 295     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.9K     5 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

While I support the line being underground between Laird and Kennedy, what would to happen to the Brentcliffe and Don Mills portals? There has been substantial work done on them and just demolishing/abandoning them doesn't seem right.
At first I thought I thought the Brencliffe portal, and a couple of hundred metres of track towards the west, would be torn up and shifted to the south. Looking at it a bit more carefully, I now think that portal can be left as is, and all lanes of Eglinton be shifted to the north of the portal. It requires some retaining walls against the properties to the north. By Leslie, Eglinton would return to its proper alignment, and the LRT would be on the south side - where it should have been all along.

Laird.jpg

At Don Mills, I think construction is a bit farther behind. Here the line would have to stay underground as it makes a shift to the south. The portal would likely be at the CPR embankment.

Attachments

• Laird.jpg
    Laird.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 411
This demand for more money and time is great news for both Ford and the travelling public.

It will give Ford the excuse to cancel the eastern at-grade section and make the line fully grade separated which is what it should have been from the very beginning. It also will make the line cheaper to run as it can then be automated. The only reason why the eastern section wasn't grade separated is due to Miller's fantasy of complete streets thinking he can turn a commercial/industrial road into some form of mini-Yorkville and particularly because his union backers never want a line that could be automated. This line exemplifies the lunacy of Miller's LRT or nothing transportation plan which was just as bad as Ford's subways, subways, subways.
3 subways. If Ford had his way this would have been Eglinton (instead of the on-street portion), DRL (which was still planned as on street LRT from Pape station northwards), and Sheppard.

Most of the preWW2 systems in North America are like that.

Chicago and NY system is filthy and rusted out.

800px-Chambers_Street_-_Nassau_Line_Platform.jpg
I have used Chicago's system extensively. While the downtown tunnels smell like piss (like most other north american subway systems), reliability within the last few years has increased substantially. Service coverage is better and stations are generally tolerable (compared to the Chambers Street station shown). While Toronto's frequencies are much better, I would say Chicago's certainly bypasses the MBTA and other American subway systems. I wouldn't call it filthy and rusted out.

I visited Chicago and Boston in the last few years with my wife and very young daughter. While I respect the likely more informed opinion of people here I would say without question riding the TTC subway is like coming home to a futuristic dream-land of clean, modern, spacious and efficient transit. Boston's system is decrepit, Chicago’s looks good on the map but it was so rickety I had a hard time keeping our stroll from flipping over (yes that rickety). I thought the TTC was bad for accessibility!

I found I really disliked Boston's system when I visited a few years ago. Old, ratty, completely falling apart. The TTC feels much cleaner and more comfortable.

Yeah our stations are pretty good, be it aesthetics or cleanliness. Even if it gets flack from others Line 3 too is solid with the modern look and glass. What I'm not a fan of is the colour schemes of some of our stations, and that'd be the pale greens-greys of Yonge, and the greys-whites of Bloor/Danforth. Which is fairly minor gripe. Also new Union I don't like...too white. Some enclosed bus bays could use a good pressure wash. I don't think I've ever smelled urine on the TTC, which seems to be a praiseworthy benchmark.

I visited Chicago and Boston in the last few years with my wife and very young daughter. While I respect the likely more informed opinion of people here I would say without question riding the TTC subway is like coming home to a futuristic dream-land of clean, modern, spacious and efficient transit. Boston's system is decrepit, Chicago’s looks good on the map but it was so rickety I had a hard time keeping our stroll from flipping over (yes that rickety). I thought the TTC was bad for accessibility!
So Toronto does sound like Transit of NA. Sad...

I found I really disliked Boston's system when I visited a few years ago. Old, ratty, completely falling apart. The TTC feels much cleaner and more comfortable.

I took the red, orange, green, and silver lines while I was there. The Silver line was nice and new, but very odd given the massive amount of infrastructure for a friggen bus.

I found that the red line was quite ratty, and the station I used (Harvard) looked like it dated from about the 1970's. The train was absolutely ancient. Only one of the two doors on the subway car opened when entering the train.

From what I recall the frequency was way lower. I remember waiting 5-6 minutes almost every time I took a train.

I find New York's system to be cleaner than Boston.. but Toronto is a more pleasant system than either of them.

MBTA could fix the commuter rail service as well.

I have visited Boston a few times and have used their Commuter Rail, Bus Subway and Streetcar systems. I have also visited Toronto and used GO trains ant all TTC services except the accessible bus. Neither was worse than the other.

I like the fact that the Green Line is over 100 years old. I think of it as riding a historic thing.

I think that's a connection to the new Line 5 platform. Either way, if there's only one connection, someone at the wrong end of one of them, has a long walk!
I thought there is going to be 2 tunnels to GO? The one already existing (but only the southbound platform) and the new one to the new Crosstown entrance for both GO platforms.

Even the public washrooms in the TTC smell better than some of the tunnels in the New York City subway.

Are we still doing this? :p

But yes, the TTC realized during the Byford era that keeping washrooms (relatively) clean cost very little but go a long way towards increasing customer satisfaction.

Back