News   Apr 18, 2024
 423     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

At this rate I wouldnt be surprised if the planning work on this hub is completed before the DRL's planning work which is only at around 30% at the moment.

thats what you get when you dont have government interfering with a large infrastructure project.

There are 15 members on the GTAA board.
- 5 are appointed by regional governments (York, Halton, Peel, Durham, Toronto)
- 2 are appointed by the federal government
- 1 is appointed by the Ontario government.

That's a majority. The remaining 7 are selected by the current board (so, voted in by the majority government appointed officials) are nominated by groups like the Toronto Board of Trade, Brampton Board of Trade, and Mississauga Board of Trade which are also more than a little political in nature.

Government is quite involved in Pearson Airport.

This is what you get from Government when the wishy-washy public doesn't have direct influence over it.

Last edited:

That's a majority. The remaining 7 are selected by the current board (so, voted in by the majority government appointed officials) by groups like the Toronto Board of Trade, Brampton Board of Trade, and Mississauga Board of Trade which are more than a little political in nature.

This is what you get from Government when the wishy-washy public doesn't have direct influence over it.

what i mean is that their operating budget is not dictated by annual budgets from city council and they dont need to go through public works procurement to do their own projects.

That's a majority. The remaining 7 are selected by the current board (so, voted in by the majority government appointed officials) by groups like the Toronto Board of Trade, Brampton Board of Trade, and Mississauga Board of Trade which are more than a little political in nature.

One of the big design issues with LRT or subway lines is property rights and sub-surface conditions (soil, location of pipes, etc). By and large what they're building here is a building, so there's a lot less of that type of work to do. I expect the building to be built relatively quickly (certainly before the DRL), but the connections to it, mainly the LRT and HSR connections, are going to take a lot longer, because those projects are subject to the same kinds of things as the DRL is.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if on opening day the only services connected to the transit hub are the LINK train, GO via the Kitchener Line, and maybe a new Via station. They will have platform space allocated for the Finch West and Eglinton LRTs, as well as for HSR, but they'll likely only be roughed in with future access points accounted for.

Well the draft master plan has been approved and officialized, virtually unchanged from its initial form/content.

Ive already commented on the plan and the horse is long dead so i wont beat on it any longer.

Interesting turn of events:

Customs agents moved from GTA to Quebec border to handle migrant surge
Border and customs agents are being pulled from the Greater Toronto Area to handle a a “significant” influx of asylum seekers across the U.S. border into Quebec over the summer months.

The move is expected to lead to delays for travellers embarking from overseas and U.S. flights at Toronto’s Pearson International airport – the country’s busiest airport – and land-border crossings in southern Ontario.

A Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) memo, obtained by The Globe and Mail, says agents in the Greater Toronto Area will be dispatched to Quebec to alleviate the pressure from “a significant increase in the number of refugee claimants arriving in Canada without passing through a port of entry.”
One Air Canada pilot, who spoke on background, said passengers could be expected to sit on the tarmac for up to an hour or more.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...gta-to-quebec-border-to-handle-migrant-surge/

At least at Terminal there's a ton of kiosks which greatly reduces the need for inspectors. Been a while since I have flown through T1; do they have the kiosks there as well?

At least at Terminal there's a ton of kiosks which greatly reduces the need for inspectors. Been a while since I have flown through T1; do they have the kiosks there as well?

I believe in T1 they have the kiosks where Americans and Canadian can scan their filled in declaration card.

In T3 they have done away with giving out cards on the plane and everyone uses the kiosks and answers the questions on screen.

Of course Nexus is available at both terminals and is the way to go!

Ah. So the difference is a test? I mostly use T1, but had the no card experience in T3 last month. That and all the border guards standing in front of the wicket stations like store greeters. They were all exposed and everyone had to walk right up to them. That took many non-Canadians aback. It looked very effective.

I had the pleasure of disembarking off a long-haul onto buses today in the pouring rain - from a fully-loaded 400-passenger AC 777. Took about 10-15 minutes just to get the stairs in place, with flight crew making periodic announcements to apologize profusely for not being able to obtain a gate. I guess this is going to happen a lot more, with GTAA not planning to build a single new widebody gate anytime soon despite the huge growth at Pearson.

Can only imagine what will happen if they have to do this in January.

I had the pleasure of disembarking off a long-haul onto buses today in the pouring rain - from a fully-loaded 400-passenger AC 777. Took about 10-15 minutes just to get the stairs in place, with flight crew making periodic announcements to apologize profusely for not being able to obtain a gate. I guess this is going to happen a lot more, with GTAA not planning to build a single new widebody gate anytime soon despite the huge growth at Pearson.

Oh no. I have never used stairs in Canada.
Thought it was one benefit of living in a country that gets freezing cold!

That sucks. Which airline?

I guess they are not reactivating the infield terminal? Generally speaking, in airline ops, you want to do everything possible not to use stairs for embarkation/disembarkation, particularly on wide body aircraft.

Back