Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I would be OK with self cleaning pay toilets, or pay toilets with privately staffed cleaners.

These bathrooms would get absolutely disgusting without a full time cleaner at each station. Pay for access (via Presto!) would at least make them available for emergencies and not divert funds from providing transit.

I would pay good money for a clean bathroom.
$1 per use and cleaned every hour.

$1 per use and cleaned every hour.
In many countries in Europe, they have someone sitting at the entrance of a washroom where you pay a fee to use the washroom and they clean them X hours. Some are in great shape, while others are in poor shape. Even malls do this. Ran in to a fair number of McD's, where you had to pay to use their washroom. The cost can be more than $1.

There is a pay washroom on the Queens Quay that charges a fare.

It would be nice to have washrooms in every station, but I'm not sure it's practical. Pay toilets could definitely be an option.

I've always just made sure I've gone before getting on.

I think the best answer is to rent a bit if this space privately or less someone like Cadillac Fairview manage it. Japan's model works great. Each station is a sort of path/mall. Also, I just wanted to add that safe, free washrooms are a big step towards making transit more appealing to women.

Stations should also have a daycare. And a napping facility. And a gym. And a nurse. Or just make each and every station henceforth a community centre offering overnight stay.

Kidding aside, but where do we draw the line? These stations cost a quarter mil apiece, or something to that effect. They're designed by elite renowned architects, different masters for each station. Now that's not enough? They're subway stations for crying out loud. Put a platform, have a train run at a set frequency, done. Someone posted Chicago's subway map a few pages back. Where are their massive Frank Gehry cathedrals adorned with ample virginal white bathroom stalls - especially in their suburbs which apparently must be treated to a significantly higher standard? They don't exist. Just like pretty much everywhere else across the globe. A subway station is a subway station. Step off the train then gtfo.

Don Valley Parkway and 401 needs washroom facilities while we're at it.

Well, the 401 does have those ONroutes.......

And most gas stations and many roadside convenience stores have washrooms also. And fast food outlets.

You don't have to be 'disabled' to be having a bad day.

Some cities put more emphasis on public washrooms than others. The ones that do more tend to be viewed as more visitable and navigable. Sure, there are challenges and issues, but it is not that difficult. Most (all?) GO stations have them now.

The self cleaning ones in some other big cities are superb.

- Paul

Reactions: BMO
And most gas stations and many roadside convenience stores have washrooms also. And fast food outlets.

Some cities put more emphasis on public washrooms than others. The ones that do more tend to be viewed as more visitable and navigable. Sure, there are challenges and issues, but it is not that difficult. Most (all?) GO stations have them now.

- Paul
Toronto has 2 self cleaning washrooms, from the Miller era. The plan was originally to install 10 of them across the city, but the funding for them was redirected to bail out Bikeshare a few years ago.

There is one at Woodbine beach, and another one at Rees and Queens Quay.

- Paul

yea, I mean I think most people can relate with getting a random urge to use the washroom for whatever reason. It's a quality of life improvement for customers. I'm sure it costs money...maybe as someone else mentioned, allowing people to use PRESTO to pay $1 or so to use the facilities and make them self-cleaning would be a nice compromise.

- Paul

Not all - Acton, York University, Downsview Park, Exhibition are examples that come to mind. And many washrooms are only available when the ticket office is open - which on most non-Lakeshore stations with off-peak trains, is only during the AM peak.

I would not suggest that every TTC station should be equipped with washrooms, but there are a few areas where there are long distances between them within the fare-paid area: Bloor-Yonge to Wilson on Line 1, Bloor-Yonge to Kipling on Line 2. There were once washrooms at Islington, but those were closed twenty years ago. If I were to suggest stations where washrooms would be very useful, they would be St. George and Dundas West, and Eglinton West/Cedarvale.

Also remember that many trips involve a long bus ride too. A few more public washrooms in a few strategic areas shouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I don't see how shelters that look like this can be heatedo_O?:
aCKqrbB.jpg

The heated shelter is located over there:

aCKqrbB.jpg

Attachments

• aCKqrbB.jpg
    aCKqrbB.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 289
Lincolnville too. It doesn't even have a station building, I've spent many cold nights in those semi-heated bus shelters waiting 15 minutes after the train arrives for the Uxbridge bus.

Not all - Acton, York University, Downsview Park, Exhibition are examples that come to mind. And many washrooms are only available when the ticket office is open - which on most non-Lakeshore stations with off-peak trains, is only during the AM peak.

A little bit off topic now, but washrooms at Bramalea Go station really bother me (I imagine other stations may be the same).
The station is locked up on weekends completely, even with half-hourly bus service from Union. It's often a bit of time between local service, so a washroom break would be nice... except it's closed.

A few more washrooms at major transfer points on the TTC would be useful.

Back