Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

When cars can park themselves, there could be a drop off place at an entrance to those stations and then the car can go off and park if they own the car. And preferably in some kind of housing that picks up vehicles and compacts as many as possible inside.

Toronto has 2 self cleaning washrooms, from the Miller era. The plan was originally to install 10 of them across the city, but the funding for them was redirected to bail out Bikeshare a few years ago.

There is one at Woodbine beach, and another one at Rees and Queens Quay.

There's also one on the Martin Goodman Trail, just east of the tennis court at Lakeshore & Net Dr.

How many subways or metros around the world have washrooms in their stations? How many of them require a payment to use them?

In many countries in Europe, they have someone sitting at the entrance of a washroom where you pay a fee to use the washroom and they clean them X hours. Some are in great shape, while others are in poor shape. Even malls do this. Ran in to a fair number of McD's, where you had to pay to use their washroom. The cost can be more than $1.

There is a pay washroom on the Queens Quay that charges a fare.
It is something I detest about Europe though.

Yes, I know that, but per my post, the trains currently (well, as of December 30th) come every hour most of the day weekdays and all day weekends, every 15-30 minutes at peak. If you miss your hourly train by 1 minute, you have about a 59 minute wait for the next train, assuming no delays.

How will the washroom on the train help you when you need to use the washroom at the moment and the train is 59 minutes away?
I would pay good money for a clean bathroom.

When I went to Paddington Railway Station in London you had to pay to use the toilets. Even the McDonalds in the station did not have washrooms. Never seen a cleaner washroom in my life. I think it was 80 Pence

How many subways or metros around the world have washrooms in their stations? How many of them require a payment to use them?
The Sydney train system (around 800 km, 180-ish stations, high frequency in peak hours, and electrified) has public washrooms in all the stations I’ve used except Town Hall, which is really old. They’re spotless, free and have Dyson hand dryers. Admittedly this would be impossible in Toronto.

The Sydney train system (around 800 km, 180-ish stations, high frequency in peak hours, and electrified) has public washrooms in all the stations I’ve used except Town Hall, which is really old. They’re spotless, free and have Dyson hand dryers. Admittedly this would be impossible in Toronto.

You forgot to mention a typical one-way fare for a regular passenger is closer to $4.25CAD (vs. TTC token price).

Sydney's system is one I would use as a model for GO, less so for TTC.

Last edited:

I have always advocated for self cleaning washrooms at subway stations complete with LRAD warning sirens and 90000 PSI waterjets. The washrooms would be clean and homeless free

You forgot to mention a typical one-way fare for a regular passenger is closer to $4.25CAD (vs. TTC token price).

Sydney's system is one I would use as a model for GO, less so for TTC.
True, but everything is more expensive in Sydney. However, incomes are higher and taxes are lower so net-net the train fares aren’t particularly onerous. ST manages very frequent peak service that’s more akin to a subway than a commuter train, and a lot of the system in the CBD runs underground with a dense collection of stations. They’ve also cracked the insoluble (for Toronto) problem of interlining, which would be just another impossibility here. But I’m not suggesting Sydney could be a model for Toronto, as we’re incapable of learning anything from anywhere else.

Too bad the AMC Interchange 30 Theatres closed. Unfortunately, there would still have been a l-o-n-g walk to get them from the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station.

Unfortunately, the Colossus Vaughan Cinemas is even a worse walk, especially in a winter snowstorm.

Too bad the AMC Interchange 30 Theatres closed. Unfortunately, there would still have been a l-o-n-g walk to get them from the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station.

Unfortunately, the Colossus Vaughan Cinemas is even a worse walk, especially in a winter snowstorm.

10 minutes? That isn't that long.

If you want to see a movie and you're using the subway you'd likely go to Yorkdale. For people in York Region, the VIVA access to silver City Richmond Hill and Colossus is good.

Back