News   Apr 23, 2024
 869     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 420     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

So, 3 minutes for Downsview Park one Line 1, 3 minutes for Caledonia one Line 5, 3 minutes for Bloor-Landsdowne on Line 2, 3 minutes at Liberty, and 3 minutes at Front-Spadina. And another 3 minutes for the long-deferred Highway 7/Transitway stop, if they ever add it.

So 18 more minutes for Rutherford passengers, turning the current 2-stop 27-29 minutes commute to 45-47 minutes.

Though perhaps only 2 minutes per stop, because it will never be going fast again ...

Not to make this a personal attack, because its an honest mistake, because this is the exact mistake even some consultants for Metrolinx have made.

"Adding more stops is going to slow down service by x minutes!"

"uhhh...guys did you honestly do your study using the current GO trains? You know there are going to be newer, faster electric trains, right?"

"uhhh... welll.... you seee... we...uhh"

SMH

Wynne ran on a platform calling for the Milton Line to be 4 track by 2021/22 at a cost about $1.8 Billion and CP was happy with it. It went no where since then and no reason for not doing it.

If you are waiting for CP to move, it maybe in your next life, but not this one.

The Georgetown line can be 4 track with the exception of downtown Brampton that will be 3 without ripping out buildings and closing streets. You need 3 tracks to KW from Georgetown, but if planning long term to London, make sure it can be upgraded to 4 tracks.

Metrolinx has wasted years trying to improve service since they put the cart before the horse. Then only thinks long trains are the answers when you can use various length and headway. We saw what the first board of director do in wasting time and money to the point they got sack. The 2nd group didn't fair well and sack. The current setup isn't better than the 2nd one.

I am hoping the new CEO has some balls to stand up to Queen Park and do what is needed first, not what QP wants, regardless who is in power.

Its time to get on with electrifying the system and different type of service than RER since they will do more than what plan.

The Lakeshore needs to be 4 track as well.

At the same time, need to start support local service to get riders to/from stations since the roads will never be able to handle the extra 2.2 million cars by 2041 when it can't do it today.

Absolutely more trackage needs to be added to these lines, even with the Missing Link. So might as well do it first.

However, I think this is the roadblock.

http://www.bnn.ca/ontario-auditor-accuses-cn-rail-cp-rail-of-overcharging-transit-agency-1.620439

Anything done in the CP and CN corridors is done by CP and CN, for Metrolinx. And it looks like Metrolinx is getting hosed by them.

I don't know the solution to this, but its clear that Metrolinx needs to fix this issue first.

We don't know! GO Transit/Metrolinx is good at keeping us in the dark, if nothing else.

Since GO reduces its 407 bus services during the holiday season, my guess is that they won't start serving Highway 407 station until January 2 (along with a bunch of other schedule changes). This also means that it would be fun to see just how deserted Highway 407's bus terminal is gonna be December 17-January 2.

Not to make this a personal attack, because its an honest mistake, because this is the exact mistake even some consultants for Metrolinx have made.

"Adding more stops is going to slow down service by x minutes!"

"uhhh...guys did you honestly do your study using the current GO trains? You know there are going to be newer, faster electric trains, right?"

"uhhh... welll.... you seee... we...uhh"

SMH

This has historically been a problem on some lines, like Stouffville though. Trips are much longer than they were 10-20 years ago because of all the new stops that have been added over the years. Even with faster electric trains, I wonder if we're only going to get back to the speed of 10 years ago for northern stops on the line after even more stops are added?

This has historically been a problem on some lines, like Stouffville though. Trips are much longer than they were 10-20 years ago because of all the new stops that have been added over the years. Even with faster electric trains, I wonder if we're only going to get back to the speed of 10 years ago for northern stops on the line after even more stops are added?

Centennial and Kennedy are new - but GO Transit too has been padding its schedules, especially with the late train guarantee. Schedules padded due to construction on the Georgetown/Kitchener corridor when the corridor widening, grade separations and West Toronto Diamond work were underway were not restored to their older, faster schedules.

We don't know! GO Transit/Metrolinx is good at keeping us in the dark, if nothing else.

It's aggravating. Just had a friend move to north Brampton, and taking the GO bus is hell. I mean, a weekend Kitchener train to Mount Pleasant would make it so much easier and put me within walking distance, but even bus service from 407 station would be an astronomical improvement. Too much congestion on the Gardiner, 427, 401 ,410 and adjacent local streets.

Before removing the station, ML should look at the impact it would have on Electric GO RER trains vs the current sluggish hulking bilevels, as well what impact on ridership the station would have if a walkway was made to Steeles ave, and the Steeles bus stopped at it.

Ontop of the fact that we may be getting a single fare for all transit in downtown Toronto, it would be a huge mistake to rip up the station, only to find out, whoops, theres demand in that area for one now that you can take a GO-RER train every 15 minutes with a single fare connected to TTC services, and the express rural trains bypass the station now so it had no effect after all on travel times.

The current York University GO Station is in the absolute middle of nowhere, and has no meaningful infrastructure worth saving. The entire station only cost $850K to build in the first place. You couldn't even maintain the station in service (i.e. add a platform on the second track) for that price.

If Metrolinx wants a station at Steeles, it will be an actual train station, not a walkway to the current bus-stop-on-steroids. And if they are building a station, they should be considering all the possible locations for a station. Personally I think that the long-proposed Concord station at Hwy 7 would be much more regionally beneficial, providing a direct connection from the Barrie line to the Viva BRT service as well as GO's Highway 407 corridor buses.

Personally I think that the long-proposed Concord station at Hwy 7 would be much more regionally beneficial, providing a direct connection from the Barrie line to the Viva BRT service as well as GO's Highway 407 corridor buses.

Absolutely agreed. I live in Aurora and just today, I had an meeting shortly past noon in Oshawa adjacent to Oshawa GO, then a 6PM engagement downtown. I decided to avoid driving between 407 tolls, possible bad weather, and just the stress of taking the 401 into downtown, then having to drive all the way home very tired at night after a long day. I took the train from Aurora to Union, got breakfast, caught a train to Oshawa, got a ride to and from my meeting, then took the train back downtown and got picked up at Sheppard West in the evening (407 would have been more convenient). It would have been great if I could have gotten off the train at 7/407 and caught a GO 407 bus along the 407 and down the 412 to Oshawa instead, would have saved me the south/north backtracking on the trains.

In a few days I have something in the VMC area then something downtown. I would love to take the GO Train to Concord, catch the BRT a few stops west, then take the subway downtown. Instead I have to drive to VMC then either park somewhere and head downtown or bite the bullet and drive.

Concord GO would by no means revolutionize service for the majority of the line's riders, but it's a hell of a lot more useful than Steeles. And 407 GO bus riders could transfer there to RER trains downtown instead of taking the TYSSE milk run.

Back