News   Mar 28, 2024
 74     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Shoppers Drug Mart

I'd imagine the basement Shoppers at 10 Dundas East will close.

I'll try to be a dissenting voice, although it's a wee bit hard, and suggest that this location will likely be 24-hours and will perhaps in its own way, provide some sense of urbanity.

Wouldn't surprise me if this store has a small Produce section as well now that they are owned by Loblaws.

I wonder how successful that particular programme is - poor fit?

AoD

I recall reading that the purchase of Shoppers has been a great success for Loblaws.

What other grocery options are in this area? And with the nearby condo construction I'm certain this Shoppers will be a success. And if they sell fresh food they will do ok.

I'd imagine the basement Shoppers at 10 Dundas East will close.

I'll try to be a dissenting voice, although it's a wee bit hard, and suggest that this location will likely be 24-hours and will perhaps in its own way, provide some sense of urbanity.

As long as the store windows aren't all covered up with the same four Shoppers Drug Mart smiling stockpeople photos: young white woman with coffee mug, young East Asian woman on bike, young South Asian woman eating popcorn, happy white senior couple.

Last edited:
I recall reading that the purchase of Shoppers has been a great success for Loblaws.

What other grocery options are in this area? And with the nearby condo construction I'm certain this Shoppers will be a success. And if they sell fresh food they will do ok.

Great success as a way to corner the market or as a bona fide way of extending the core Loblaw business to SDM though (beyond PC branded non-perishable products) ? The only market for groceries in the SDM context is convenience shopping, and I am not sure how much of a market there is for a sudden urge for cucumbers for example. For this site, what they really should have is an expanded cosmetics section on the ground floor, with high quality decor to match (because really vanilla SDM is otherwise just a small step above Dollarama in that regard)

AoD

Great success as a way to corner the market or as a bona fide way of extending the core Loblaw business to SDM though (beyond PC branded non-perishable products) ? The only market for groceries in the SDM context is convenience shopping, and I am not sure how much of a market there is for a sudden urge for cucumbers for example. For this site, what they really should have is an expanded cosmetics section on the ground floor, with high quality decor to match (because really vanilla SDM is otherwise just a small step above Dollarama in that regard)

AoD

Anecdotally, a surprising number of people tell me that they picked up groceries at SDM locations along the Danforth. Why, I do not know, but I suppose if one is already there picking up Tylenol and make-up remover...

My guess is that the fresh food component would not be a huge seller at this SDM at Yonge Dundas Square, but with Veloshitty next door, and condos nearby, maybe I am wrong on that.

Anecdotally, a surprising number of people tell me that they picked up groceries at SDM locations along the Danforth. Why, I do not know, but I suppose if one is already there picking up Tylenol and make-up remover...

My guess is that the fresh food component would not be a huge seller at this SDM at Yonge Dundas Square, but with Veloshitty next door, and condos nearby, maybe I am wrong on that.

Friends don't let friends shop groceries at SDM (milk and "bread" excluded)? :D

AoD

As long as the store windows aren't all covered up with the same four Shoppers Drug Mart smiling stockpeople photos: young white woman with coffee mug, young East Asian woman on bike, young South Asian woman eating popcorn, happy white senior couple.

No kidding. It's an increasingly popular way among retailers to kill ground floor animation.

Shoppers.JPG

Attachments

• Shoppers.JPG
    Shoppers.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 558

AoD

Pretty much everything Shoppers sells outside of prescriptions is convenience shopping.

They have managed to successfully get people to buy over-priced products for years now under the guise of convenience.

Floor to ceiling window cover a suburban big box store aesthetic that has no place in an urban strip.

AoD

I can't like this enough! But by replying, I'm making sure to get an extra 'like' for it!

Hasten to add, I wonder if there's anything in the planning act or the City of Toronto act that would allow the City to enact a by-law prohibiting or limiting the use of window wrap?

Pretty much everything Shoppers sells outside of prescriptions is convenience shopping.

They have managed to successfully get people to buy over-priced products for years now under the guise of convenience.

All of that "overpriced" product goes on sale quite frequently, pretty much on a 3 week cycle, with most staples like bread, milk and eggs regularly priced lower than anywhere else.

All of that "overpriced" product goes on sale quite frequently, pretty much on a 3 week cycle, with most staples like bread, milk and eggs regularly priced lower than anywhere else.

Yes. Their flyer is pretty massive. But often even their sale prices don't beat other stores.

I could be wrong, but I believe they may have slightly raised their bread, milk and eggs prices since the Loblaws take-over.

While this is not my preferred way of shopping, I do 'get it'.

If, as an example, you live on the Danforth, near Greenwood. Your nearest grocery going west is the Foodland the other side of Pape (more 2.5km west); or the Valumart @ Woodbine (2km + to the east); nothing to the north, unless you're looking at Food Basics by Pape and Cosburn, that's further still; while to the south, you're closest (when it reopens) would be the No Frills on Coxwell near Gerrard.

Put another way, the gap to a conventional store, for a non-driver and/or non-metropass holder is material.

The time savings of being able to pop round the corner for a salad pack, or some chicken breast will tempt many.

While this is not my preferred way of shopping, I do 'get it'.

If, as an example, you live on the Danforth, near Greenwood. Your nearest grocery going west is the Foodland the other side of Pape (more 2.5km west); or the Valumart @ Woodbine (2km + to the east); nothing to the north, unless you're looking at Food Basics by Pape and Cosburn, that's further still; while to the south, you're closest (when it reopens) would be the No Frills on Coxwell near Gerrard.

Put another way, the gap to a conventional store, for a non-driver and/or non-metropass holder is material.

The time savings of being able to pop round the corner for a salad pack, or some chicken breast will tempt many.

Exactly. My colleague gets off the subway at Coxwell, and says she often picks up dinner (!) at the SDM at Coxwell and Danforth.

Back