News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 899     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Shoppers Drug Mart

I'm really divided on this one. I mean, sure, a street full of Starbucks and Shoppers makes for a sterile strip. But how many mom and pop coffee shops and family pharmacies provide full time work and benefits - albeit, quite crappy packages - to their employees?

I'm really divided on this one. I mean, sure, a street full of Starbucks and Shoppers makes for a sterile strip. But how many mom and pop coffee shops and family pharmacies provide full time work and benefits - albeit, quite crappy packages - to their employees?

I wouldn't even take that into consideration, since even chains have been cutting back on full-time hiring just to avoid paying benefits. It also allows them to be a lot more flexible with scheduling.

It is not the role of government to force a particular type of merchant onto its citizens. Let them decide, with their wallets, what kind of stores/ownership they want.

If you think that the stores and companies that proliferate in certain areas do so strictly in response to consumer demand, you are fooling yourself.

If you think that the stores and companies that proliferate in certain areas do so strictly in response to consumer demand, you are fooling yourself.
Not strictly, but for the most part.

And how would this be policed? If a company began as a independent restaurant, and was so successful it opened up several other stores/franchises in Toronto/the GTA would they be forced to close the original store because it has become a 'chain' store? Again, not the job of the government here. Help consumers want to make good decisions about where they spend their money, sure, but don't force something on us.

Not strictly, but for the most part.

And how would this be policed? If a company began as a independent restaurant, and was so successful it opened up several other stores/franchises in Toronto/the GTA would they be forced to close the original store because it has become a 'chain' store? Again, not the job of the government here. Help consumers want to make good decisions about where they spend their money, sure, but don't force something on us.
For example, hipster chains such as Hero Certified Burgers and Smoke's Poutinerie both originally had one location.

Even SDM was originally an independent pharmacy with two locations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoppers_Drug_Mart#History

Note that the legal definition of independent retailer is one with three or fewer locations; chains have four or more locations.

For example, hipster chains such as Hero Certified Burgers and Smoke's Poutinerie both originally had one location.

Even SDM was originally an independent pharmacy with two locations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoppers_Drug_Mart#History

Note that the legal definition of independent retailer is one with three or fewer locations; chains have four or more locations.

I don't think anyone is saying we have to go back and close a location once it becomes a chain. I don't even believe that would be legal, considering the outlet would essentially be grandfathered. I also don't think banning chains outright is a good idea. The request really simply centres around moderation. A Yonge Street full of Shoppers Drug Marts, Subway, and Starbucks adds nothing to the city, which limits innovation and tourism potential, which has a trickle down effect that causes more harm than good.

From a retailers perspective, oversaturating a market is more about squashing the competition... not about providing more choice or greater amenity to the community.

I noticed they're dismantling the billboards and videoscreen on top of the Hard Rock Cafe/future Shoppers Drug Mart flagship location.

Back