News   Apr 25, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Shoppers Drug Mart

I do object. Slowly what made Yonge interesting is disappearing. Shoppers at Yonge and College, Atrium, in the Eaton Centre and Yonge and King. Now Yonge and Dundas as well. And there are more nearby. All we need now is a few more Starbucks, Tim Hortons and a few banks.

I do object. Slowly what made Yonge interesting is disappearing. Shoppers at Yonge and College, Atrium, in the Eaton Centre and Yonge and King. Now Yonge and Dundas as well. And there are more nearby. All we need now is a few more Starbucks, Tim Hortons and a few banks.

Is a Hardrock much more interesting than any other chain? I agree that it would be great to have an entertainment venue of some sort here, but Hardrock is just a cheesy chain.

Having said that, they do intend to find a new location, and I'm curious about where they'll go.

Isn't this pretty much the story of Toronto? Cool stores or restaurants get shut down to make way for boring retail.

I have nothing against Shoppers and the Hard Rock Café is nothing special.

I just figured considering the location the replacement would be a restaurant at least. Something that would fit with the square.

Is a Hardrock much more interesting than any other chain? I agree that it would be great to have an entertainment venue of some sort here, but Hardrock is just a cheesy chain.

Having said that, they do intend to find a new location, and I'm curious about where they'll go.

As far as I know Hard Rock has exactly one location in Toronto. Shoppers has 5 within a few blocks. Hard Rock is not my thing but better for the street than another drug store.

Shoppers won't do anything for the Square. People pop in pick up drugs..etc and go back to their condo. Hard Rock was a tourist trap yes, but it brought people/tourists and entertainment to the square. On warm summer nights the patio was packed.

not that long ago, Toronto was one of the very few cities with more than 1 HRC......now we will have none....I have never been a huge fan of the concept but it is interesting how homoginized our retail scene has become....and HRC (love it or hate it) was a somewhat global icon of tourism and travel and people used to buy HRC location t-shirts as part of trips....they became a generations usable postcards...kinda like the current Starbucks mug thing.

It may not be 'interesting' to you but Hard Rock Cafe IS a tourist attraction -not unlike the Raptors or the Toronto sign- and it kind of deserved to be on the square. Shoppers Drug Mart on the other hand doesn't need window presence and can operate out of a basement level, which it actually is...

Last edited:

The Atrium doesn't have a Shoppers, it's a Rexall/Pharma Plus. But yes, there are quite a number of both stores in the same Downtown area. It's like that mall in The Simpsons where every shop was a Starbucks.

I'd imagine the basement Shoppers at 10 Dundas East will close.

I'll try to be a dissenting voice, although it's a wee bit hard, and suggest that this location will likely be 24-hours and will perhaps in its own way, provide some sense of urbanity.

Back