313     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 330     0 

Don River Valley Park

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The website is light - not much by the way of detailed info.

AoD

What is on the website is underwhelming. The biggest problem with the space is that it is bisected by the DVP, the railway and the Bayview Extension. A fair amount of work needs to be done to increase accessibility for cyclists and pedestrians. Yet most of the short-term plans for increased connections and improved safety are either already built (albeit not necessarily open - e.g. the Pottery Road cyclist and pedestrian bridge) or are in the works. And there is a complete lack of specifics about the long-term projects - nothing more than a vague, short bullet list of possible dream projects. And nothing about specific problems in the valley that really impair accessibility (i.e. lack of any cycling or walking paths on Bayview south of Rosedale Valley Road).

So far, this seems to be a renaming exercise ("ta-dah! It's now a park!") than a meaningful effort to bring Torontonians into the valley.

What is on the website is underwhelming. The biggest problem with the space is that it is bisected by the DVP, the railway and the Bayview Extension. A fair amount of work needs to be done to increase accessibility for cyclists and pedestrians. Yet most of the short-term plans for increased connections and improved safety are either already built (albeit not necessarily open - e.g. the Pottery Road cyclist and pedestrian bridge) or are in the works. And there is a complete lack of specifics about the long-term projects - nothing more than a vague, short bullet list of possible dream projects. And nothing about specific problems in the valley that really impair accessibility (i.e. lack of any cycling or walking paths on Bayview south of Rosedale Valley Road).

So far, this seems to be a renaming exercise ("ta-dah! It's now a park!") than a meaningful effort to bring Torontonians into the valley.

The site should have linked the report by Evergreen/DTAH more prominently:

https://www.evergreen.ca/downloads/pdfs/Lower_Don_Master_Plan_Final_2013-09-09.pdf

AoD

Yeah, except that's the stuff that I am already taking for granted. They're effectively re-announcing it. It's all good stuff, but insufficient to truly make the valley accessible. As for next steps after that, still very vague.

The website has this document linked:
http://donrivervalleypark.ca/downloads/PeoplesPlan_Final_PUBLIC 2016.pdf

upload_2016-10-18_11-4-19.png

donriver3.png
donriver4.png

donriver1.png

Attachments

• donriver1.png
    donriver1.png
    804 KB · Views: 1,187
  • donriver2.png
    donriver2.png
    687.9 KB · Views: 530
  • donriver3.png
    donriver3.png
    573.7 KB · Views: 1,177
  • donriver4.png
    donriver4.png
    512.4 KB · Views: 1,115
  • upload_2016-10-18_11-4-19.png
    upload_2016-10-18_11-4-19.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,112
Last edited:
Yeah, except that's the stuff that I am already taking for granted. They're effectively re-announcing it. It's all good stuff, but insufficient to really make the valley accessible. As for next steps after that, still very vague.

No kidding, there are some vague promises to design some specific spaces, but that's so far off the horizon. No doubt it will be milked for announcement at that time.

I think we should do a research project on how many times public projects are announced. Transit is clearly the worst offender...

AoD

The 'People's Plan' proposals were previously discussed in a thread that talked about moving the rail corridor, which was part of the visioning exercise.

I explained at some length why that and a few other elements of the 'vision' were unrealistic.

That said, I am assuming 'new money' is being announced here, which should be for an element or elements which were not already funded.

The stairs from Dundas and Gerrard, the new fence along the railway tracks etc, were already funded.

So I'll be interested to see what elements, if any are being advanced by this 'new money'.

My offhand thoughts would be restoration of the 'snow dump' site, along with an access point opposite Rosedale Valley Road.

Those are both very do-able and between them offer something ecological and something that promotes access.

But I'm out of the loop on this one.........so those are just guesses, not facts.

I believe all the stuff on the website was part of a Ryerson Urban Planning masters project, thus Nina Marie-Lister's involvement. This will likely get handed off to actual consultants who will produce a likely more realistic plan.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...89RCRD&nrkey=71ACE13BAFD40702852580500054A866

Media Release is out.

List of Donors is there, but curiously no amount of $, not even a cumulative one. Unclear to me what the $ are supporting.

Beyond the already complete/underway works the only specific commitment is new way-finding signage.

There is a pledge to report to P&E on the feasibility of designating this a park.

Along with some vagaries "Our shared vision will help restore and revitalize the ravines, creating distinctive spaces with improved ecology and access, while introducing cultural initiatives like the new public art program to be launched in 2017"

Much ado about..........

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...89RCRD&nrkey=71ACE13BAFD40702852580500054A866

Media Release is out.

List of Donors is there, but curiously no amount of $, not even a cumulative one. Unclear to me what the $ are supporting.

Beyond the already complete/underway works the only specific commitment is new way-finding signage.

There is a pledge to report to P&E on the feasibility of designating this a park.

Along with some vagaries "Our shared vision will help restore and revitalize the ravines, creating distinctive spaces with improved ecology and access, while introducing cultural initiatives like the new public art program to be launched in 2017"

Much ado about..........

According to the news it's $3.5M private money, of a needed $5M. I assumed this was to pay for reports and studies, but from CTV it says: it will pay for several initiatives that will make the existing green space more accessible, including improved signage, a pedestrian and cyclist bridge at Pottery Road that will serve as an entrance to the parkland and an accessible ramp and new trails that will connect Riverdale Park to the Don River. The money will also pay for the construction of a new staircase that will connect Dundas Street with the lower Don River.

These are tangible improvements, and a great start.

Back