News   Apr 18, 2024
 657     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Don River Valley Park

They are tangible improvements. But the pedestrian and cycling bridge at Pottery Road is already completed, and some of those other things have already been promised. It's not clear to me if we are getting the benefit of $3.5 million of private money to improve accessibility, or if Tory has from a budgeting perspective simply lopped $3.5 million off the City's expenditures on this file and is having private donors make up the shortfall.

They are tangible improvements. But the pedestrian and cycling bridge at Pottery Road is already completed, and some of those other things have already been promised. It's not clear to me if we are getting the benefit of $3.5 million of private money to improve accessibility, or if Tory has from a budgeting perspective simply lopped $3.5 million off the City's expenditures on this file and is having private donors make up the shortfall.

The Pottery bridge didn't make sense when I read, so perhaps the article included for brevity's sake and there are finer details associated with the area around the bridge that will be paid for by donors (art installations?). Perhaps you are correct though, and the moneys will go to the city for projects funded, and in return donors can put their name on projects? Not sure how it works, but I don't think the other projects were budgeted yet.

I'm actually more optimistic about an incremental, few-million-at-a-time approach for this than I am for a billion dollar downtown rail park.
There may need to be a few big-ticket provisions along the way, but if we frame this as a 15 to 20 year vision then it will simply get better every year.
We need more of our projects to have this sustained consensus discipline instead of somebody trying to brand themselves in one big splash.
Out of small beginnings etc.
- Paul

crs1026, I agree with you so long as they define the scope of the park. What I mean is that we need to define the boundaries and scope of the park (potentially adding to it etc.). That is the money that needs to be spent now. The other aspects can be fine-tuned over years or even generations.

I feel the government made a huge mistake in this regard at Downsview Park for example. What was the rush to "finish" the park or make it revenue neutral by selling off land? Secure the land and ownership first, finish the details later.

According to the news it's $3.5M private money, of a needed $5M. I assumed this was to pay for reports and studies, but from CTV it says: it will pay for several initiatives that will make the existing green space more accessible, including improved signage, a pedestrian and cyclist bridge at Pottery Road that will serve as an entrance to the parkland and an accessible ramp and new trails that will connect Riverdale Park to the Don River. The money will also pay for the construction of a new staircase that will connect Dundas Street with the lower Don River.

These are tangible improvements, and a great start.

Will the city allow naming rights? It's one way to quickly get corporate sponsors for a park (look at Chicago). But I assume the City wouldn't want that...makes too much sense.

In the spirit of our City........Parks is doing a Lower Don Trail Masterplan refresh; an amendment to the existing projects list, when they are nowhere close to completing the existing projects list.

On the upside, lots of new pretty renderings unlikely to make it to reality anytime soon.

In all seriousness, I have some hopes that some of these will see implementation..........., some of the new ideas/projects are good. I do think there are too many though, that just strains maintenance budgets.

I also think there is nowhere near enough emphasis on nature, its mostly about access points and trails and place making. Those aren't bad things, but I think they should be secondary to a lot more restoration.

Plan update page here: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...h-public-meeting-september-17-2019-pan.._.pdf

Some of those pretty pictures, first.

Viewing deck in Riverdale Park:

New 'Water Approach' just off the trail, bringing you to River level:

Refurbished Entrance to ET Seton Park off Thorncliffe Drive:

Bayview Avenue redone as 'scenic' with new fences and a new swale/boulevard with wildflowers between the multi-use trail and the car lanes:

Goofy idea for what to do w/the former Snow Dump site, on the south side of the Bayview/Bloor ramp system, just west of Bayview.

This site could be a great wetland.......

Draft List of Projects, Part 1:

Draft List of Projects, Part 2:

In the spirit of our City........Parks is doing a Lower Don Trail Masterplan refresh; an amendment to the existing projects list, when they are nowhere close to completing the existing projects list.

On the upside, lots of new pretty renderings unlikely to make it to reality anytime soon.

In all seriousness, I have some hopes that some of these will see implementation..........., some of the new ideas/projects are good. I do think there are too many though, that just strains maintenance budgets.

I also think there is nowhere near enough emphasis on nature, its mostly about access points and trails and place making. Those aren't bad things, but I think they should be secondary to a lot more restoration.

Plan update page here: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...h-public-meeting-september-17-2019-pan.._.pdf

Some of those pretty pictures, first.

Viewing deck in Riverdale Park:

View attachment 204913

New 'Water Approach' just off the trail, bringing you to River level:

View attachment 204915

Refurbished Entrance to ET Seton Park off Thorncliffe Drive:

View attachment 204916

Bayview Avenue redone as 'scenic' with new fences and a new swale/boulevard with wildflowers between the multi-use trail and the car lanes:

View attachment 204917

Goofy idea for what to do w/the former Snow Dump site, on the south side of the Bayview/Bloor ramp system, just west of Bayview.

This site could be a great wetland.......

View attachment 204918

Draft List of Projects, Part 1:

View attachment 204919

Draft List of Projects, Part 2:

View attachment 204920

God I feel like such a utilitarian shlub in todays society.

Like, id rather see the money go towards them plowing the trails in the winter and putting up some motion sensor lights so I can ride at night. Not this stuff.

Though I realise it is BlogTO but.... there is a report that the Lower Don Trail will be closing in a few weeks so they can start work on the (much needed) upgrades discussed above See: https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/05/toronto-shutting-down-outdoor-trail-major-upgrades/ Anyone else know about this, or its truth? See https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/05/toronto-shutting-down-outdoor-trail-major-upgrades/

Are you asking if the Trail is really closing for a few months.............if so, the answer is yes.

The replacement capacity plan, last I heard, was that Bayview would be one-way from River Street south, w/1/2 given over to being a replacement trail for the season.

Reactions: DSC
Are you asking if the Trail is really closing for a few months.............if so, the answer is yes.

The replacement capacity plan, last I heard, was that Bayview would be one-way from River Street south, w/1/2 given over to being a replacement trail for the season.
Thanks, the work certainly needs to be done as the current trail really needs work and this cannot occur if trail is open. Any idea on dates?

Back