News   Apr 24, 2024
 90     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 582     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I wish this thing was built already so that we would be done with these repetitive, unsubstantiated debates about stop spacing that we've rehashed hundreds of times before.
And then it will be people posting pictures/reports of how unused the mid-block stops are, and how it was just a single young and healthy person getting on who could have easily walked instead of wasting 40 seconds of everyone's time.
It will never end.

Perfect is the enemy of good.

If all obstacles must first be overcome, then nothing will ever be achieved.

Two truisms which seem applicable here.

Reactions: rbt
Do you have a source for that? Because, off the top of my head, that does not appear to be consistent with the results of the Sheppard East LRT stop s

My mistake. It is close to 20 s per every added stop, not 40 s.

My calculations go like this. Let’s assume a hypothetical 16-km long LRT line. The outcome does not depend on the length, but a round 16,000 m length is convenient for the illustration.

With 800 m stop spacing, the line will have 19 stops not counting the termini (20 intervals). Estimated speed: 27 kph, one-way travel time: (16 km / 27 kph) * 3,600 sec/hour = 2,133 sec.

With 400 m stop spacing, the line will have 39 stops not counting the termini (40 intervals). Estimated speed: 22.5 kph, one-way travel time: (16 km / 22.5 kph) * 3,600 sec/hour = 2,560 sec.

Thus, the 400 m stop spacing results in:
39 – 19 = 20 extra stops
2,560 – 2,133 = 427 extra seconds

Each extra stop, on average, costs 427 / 20 = 21 extra seconds.

It should be noted that the current Finch West LRT design (11 km, 16 intermediate stops / 17 intervals, 647 m average stop spacing) is closer to 800 m ("wide stop spacing" option in the above TTC's modeling) than to 400 m.

That's one of the reasons no significant time saving can be achieved by removing stops from the current design. The majority of "removable" stops were never added in the first place.

If the average stop spacing was 400 m, we would have 27 intermediate stops between Keele Stn and Humber College, instead of 16.

The stop spacing here is on the low side of acceptable. They found a good balance for this route. I'm puzzled why it's taking so long to start construction on this one. It should be fairly easy to build and should not take more than 3-4 years are most to construct.

The stop spacing here is on the low side of acceptable. They found a good balance for this route. I'm puzzled why it's taking so long to start construction on this one. It should be fairly easy to build and should not take more than 3-4 years are most to construct.

RFP closes in October and construction starts early 2017, so it's "on schedule". From the most recent Metrolinx board meeting:

Finch West LRT

The three consortia pre-qualified during the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) procurement phase are now working on preparing their proposals for the next phase of the procurement process: the Request for Proposals (RFP). The RFP was released in February 2016 and Humber Valley Transit Partners, Mosaic Transit Group and FACT Partners will be working on their proposals until RFP Close in October 2016.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...60628_BoardMtg_Capital_Projects_Report_EN.pdf

They're doing surveys first. Finding out who actually owns what, just in case. Also trying to locate the underground and overhead utilities, pipes, and sewers that might have to be moved or relocated. For example, the sewer grates will have to moved, so they're measuring how much they would have to be moved.

RFP closes in October and construction starts early 2017, so it's "on schedule". From the most recent Metrolinx board meeting:
Yeah, just as a project that has had nearly universal support (compared to all the other plans...) it's just disappointing that we couldn't have been at this phase 5 years ago.

Yeah, just as a project that has had nearly universal support (compared to all the other plans...) it's just disappointing that we couldn't have been at this phase 5 years ago.
... of course then we'd be a year into a completed LRT right-of-way with no vehicles to run on it...

Of course, we should have had an LRT finished and up and running for about 2 years now which we could have been observing and learning from (Sheppard East), but that discussion is in another thread.

... of course then we'd be a year into a completed LRT right-of-way with no vehicles to run on it...

Or eastern terminus station...I'm not disappointed with the timetable. Much has been learned on the Eglinton project. A hostile (or just downright dopey) city administration has been replaced by one that can walk and chew gum and even articulate a position. Metrolinx has some complete projects...Georgetown South, UPX, West Harbour, Mississauga Transitway. The forward momentum is building.

Back