News   May 03, 2024
 269     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 223     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 123     0 

Monorail for Toronto

Whoa, this came out of the blue. And here I thought Toronto couldn't fit any more transit plans on its plate. This should be an interesting project to follow, and I'll fully support it. Nothing wrong with a little experimentation. And it seems pretty clear to me that the Zoo needs to have some kind of railed system in place to be considered world class.

Plus they need something they can operate in the winter months as well. Cirently none of the rides operate outside of the warmer months.

Yeah - and the Magnovate system uses a much larger gap between guideway and vehicle than other maglevs, which should operate just fine in a bit of snow.

It is interesting that Lockheed Martin and Magna are part of the Magnovate consortium, which means that very likely would it consist of high quality parts.
The parts might be fine, but what about the control system? If the F-35 is anything to go by... :D

Whoa, this came out of the blue. And here I thought Toronto couldn't fit any more transit plans on its plate. This should be an interesting project to follow, and I'll fully support it. Nothing wrong with a little experimentation. And it seems pretty clear to me that the Zoo needs to have some kind of railed system in place to be considered world class.

Especially when that experimentation comes at no immediate cost to you and/or the taxpayer. If this thing does well, I could potentially see a similar application for a whole bunch of "circulator" type systems, at least initially. To scale it up to full-blown rapid or intercity transit would still be a big step. The other Toronto application I'm thinking is Pearson, to eventually replace the Link if it ever needs to be extended.

LOL Yeah. Unsolicited proposals.

"We're half way through our $25 million investment in the zoo maglev and it has just now been discovered that it will actually cost $200 million. This was, of course, completely unforeseeable. It's really now the taxpayers responsibility to pay for the rest of this investment in the Ontario economy, unless they want to lose all these 'skilled jobs for working families'."

Tell these pathetic liars to GTFO.

"We're half way through our $25 million investment in the zoo maglev and it has just now been discovered that it will actually cost $200 million. This was, of course, completely unforeseeable. It's really now the taxpayers responsibility to pay for the rest of this investment in the Ontario economy, unless they want to lose all these 'skilled jobs for working families'."

source?

Yeah, no. Just no.

When I was looking into the history of the Zoo's original "monorail" from Bendix-Dashveyor; the system itself was proof of concept to sell the province the technology of choice for GO-Urban/GO-ALRT project back in the day. I wonder if this is in part design to influence the technology of choice for Smart Track?

When I was looking into the history of the Zoo's original "monorail" from Bendix-Dashveyor; the system itself was proof of concept to sell the province the technology of choice for GO-Urban/GO-ALRT project back in the day. I wonder if this is in part design to influence the technology of choice for Smart Track?

Doubtful. SmartTrack will be part of GO RER, which will be using electrified rolling stock capable of running on traditional rail lines.

he was just trolling.

The Maglev company needs a place to test their solution. The Toronto Zoo has one (and a Canadian engineering firm has signed off saying its still functional). Perfect fit. Think of the cost to build a Maglev test track (including the land). Here we have one already built that is in an urban centre.

Yes, there is a risk that the Maglev system does not work. But the only cost to the Zoo is letting them use infrastructure that is no longer needed. If the solution fails the Zoo continues with their fake train (which is currently the status quo).

If I was the zoo I would insist on a surety bond with enough money to dispose of any materials that are brought onto the site and of course adequate liability insurance. Other than that why not?

Doubtful. SmartTrack will be part of GO RER, which will be using electrified rolling stock capable of running on traditional rail lines.

A free $25 million maglev isn't something they do out of generosity, And I doubt they're willing to part with that money for a simple test track unless they had a buyer who is willing to build such a system. So the question is, who are they trying to sell this to if everyone is happy into buying already proven systems?

Anyways, looking at the proposal, its going to take about 4 years before it will open since new track will have to be built and the old track bed that needs to be modified to handle the maglev trains.

A free $25 million maglev isn't something they do out of generosity, And I doubt they're willing to part with that money for a simple test track unless they had a buyer who is willing to build such a system. So the question is, who are they trying to sell this to if everyone is happy into buying already proven systems?

This is basically a working proof-of-concept proposal. Yes, they're clearly angling to get larger projects in the future, but I think that SmartTrack isn't one of them. One only needs to look at the timeline for this project and the timeline for GO RER/SmartTrack, and one would see that they will be under construction (at least for a brief period) at the same time.

Could this be presented as an alternative to an HSR proposal? Absolutely. Could this be presented as an alternative technology for inner city or airport circulators? Absolutely.

Rebuilt LINK II connecting Terminals 1/2?/3 to Pearson GO Station, circa 2040?
(That's either Malton RER/HSR station or Woodbine RER/HSR station)

Rebuilt LINK II connecting Terminals 1/2?/3 to Pearson GO Station, circa 2040?
(That's either Malton RER/HSR station or Woodbine RER/HSR station)

That's what I'm thinking, yeah. The capacity and operational flexibility of the system would be pretty in line for what the airport would require.

Back