News   Apr 25, 2024
 632     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 769     0 

Monorail for Toronto

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the consortium considered the Link train as an option. If this Zoo maglev actually came to fruition and proved to be of value, a replacement/extension of the Link would IMO be the next logical place for such a thing.

And it's definitely interesting considering how this is like history repeating itself. The Prov's ICTS/ALRT program was also supposed to be a revolutionary and efficient transport system - with the Mk1 performing the local service function and its similar GO-ALRT cousin operating as a regional commuter service. Not certain, but I believe they were intended to share trackage for at least some sections. Although GO-ALRT died and ICTS never quite took off, the ideas and technology behind it are sound.

GO-ALRT and ICTS where two different technologies, what they had in common was GO-ALRT looked like a supersized ICTS and would share the same automation the ICTS had. But GO-ALRT spiritual successor is what GO-RER and SmartTrack will look like, minus the automation for political reasons.

GO-ALRT and ICTS where two different technologies, what they had in common was GO-ALRT looked like a supersized ICTS and would share the same automation the ICTS had. But GO-ALRT spiritual successor is what GO-RER and SmartTrack will look like, minus the automation for political reasons.

I believe they shared a bit more in common than automation. I don't have the docs at hand, but I think they were to share the same platform and parts etc. And possibly some trackage. Could be wrong tho, and the ALRT program was shuttered before we got more info. Interestingly tho the 1985 DRL was in fact planned to use ALRT rolling stock.

And I originally believed Metrolinx's RER to be a good spiritual successor to ALRT, but not so much anymore. Particularly since I've been seeing their renders of bilevels and low platform train design. That doesn't seem like medium/longer-haul ALRT-like rapid transit. More like a GO/commuter rail upgrade. The ALRT program was way more ahead of its time imo, and def more rapid transit-like.

I believe they shared a bit more in common than automation. I don't have the docs at hand, but I think they were to share the same platform and parts etc. And possibly some trackage. Could be wrong tho, and the ALRT program was shuttered before we got more info. Interestingly tho the 1985 DRL was in fact planned to use ALRT rolling stock.

And I originally believed Metrolinx's RER to be a good spiritual successor to ALRT, but not so much anymore. Particularly since I've been seeing their renders of bilevels and low platform train design. That doesn't seem like medium/longer-haul ALRT-like rapid transit. More like a GO/commuter rail upgrade. The ALRT program was way more ahead of its time imo, and def more rapid transit-like.

GO-ALRT didn't used LIMs, had a pantograph to draw its power instead of a third rail, and its automation and electrification is what was rapid about it, allowing more trains to operate on the line without the need to refuel and change of staff. So take out the automation, and it pretty much what GO-RER and SmartTrack sounds like.

As for GO-RER, it's basically the existing GO commuter rail service sped up by electrification and with a different goal in mind than what its original purpose of a commuter rail.

Magnovate, the name of the magrail proposed for the Toronto Zoo, is basically an HSR, RER and local rail transit all rolled into one. It can connect to other cities and other provinces using the same rail and car design. If successful in keeping its costs under control, it could be the next big thing for transit, but even then don't expect it to ever see it built in Ontario.

You're right. ALRT looked a lot like a BART look-alike. RER today looks more like an electrified double decker O-Train.

There may still be level boarding with their EMUs, in an incremental path that doesn't require rushing their low-floor stations towards level-boarding.

What we may see is level subway-style boarding at new Bramalea-Stoufville/MtJoy infill stations, with a slow incremental upgrade for the existing stations.

Magnovate, the name of the magrail proposed for the Toronto Zoo, is basically an HSR, RER and local rail transit all rolled into one.

I don't really see it as any of that - it's just one group of people's idea for a method of suspension of a vehicle relative to a track. The interface between guideway and vehicle in this case has very little to do really with where it could be deployed.

This is like 20 people who have an idea and are going to get to build a test track to show it off - it's not a magic pill that will solve all of Toronto's current and future transit problems at all.

I don't really see it as any of that - it's just one group of people's idea for a method of suspension of a vehicle relative to a track. The interface between guideway and vehicle in this case has very little to do really with where it could be deployed.

I'm talking about its uses described on its website. It's "packet-switching" allows the the same car to services local nodes, as well connect into long distance cities using one techonogly.

...which is cute and easy for anyone to say. :) A dozen companies are claiming they can build PRT, too, and it's all vapourware except for Morgantown and Heathrow T5. There is a tremendous amount of development involved in successfully pulling it off. You don't get to make a flashy webpage and suddenly be the answer to everything.

The Magnovate line at the zoo will be cute but rough around the edges, for sure.

...which is cute and easy for anyone to say. :) A dozen companies are claiming they can build PRT, too, and it's all vapourware except for Morgantown and Heathrow T5. There is a tremendous amount of development involved in successfully pulling it off. You don't get to make a flashy webpage and suddenly be the answer to everything.

The Magnovate line at the zoo will be cute but rough around the edges, for sure.

I don't doubt for a second that it could be vapourware, but I said way before, even if it does prove a ground breaking transit techonogly, we'll never have it here in the GTA for two simple reason. It's not Bombardier, and its fully automated.

^ Images:

DstNkhLV4AE7Z5g.jpg

DstNNR1UcAE8bKA.jpg

Do they even have a full-scale operational demo anywhere that incorporates all of the key elements in this proposal? It sounds awfully premature even if the proponent is paying for it - and I am not sure why the zoo should be entertaining this.

AoD

We loved the original Domain Ride when we had a season pass and lived nearby. Although the proponent will pay for the build, I see that the costs and liability will shift to the zoo after five years. At $12 per ride, it might end up being a little steep. I suppose the proponent needs a demonstration platform, but I don't see how a short, slow lumbering tourist train will showcase it for a high speed, low cost transit market.

Back