News   May 06, 2024
 443     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 658     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I've been there; it's kind of an outlier because of the types of businesses.

White people are not a minority, visible or otherwise, in Toronto. This sense of being outnumbered is a kind of paranoia peculiar to certain white people.
Where do you live and which parts of the city do you frequent? If you look around the suburbs, I'd say white people are less prevalent. It has nothing to do with paranoia, but what I see with my eyes.

'Politically incorrect' is kind of a meaningless way of saying 'I'm going to be offensive and whine when you call me on it'; he basically equates Islam with terrorism without any kind of fact-based argument.

Ari Goldkind‏@AriGoldkind 13 Jan 2015
Wouldn't it be something if every Western Muslim bought a copy this week to clearly show that they don't condone..... http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/01/13/charlie_hebdo_publishing_prophet_muhammad_cartoon_on_front_cover.html…

So he expects every member of a religion to buy something to prove something to him? But at the same time he'll pose for pics with Muslims, because hey, photo op:

Ari Goldkind ‏@AriGoldkind 28 Jun 2014
At #CHINpicnic @CHINPicnic_ w/great members of the Muslim community talking politics & support for youth #TOpoli
Are the vast majority of terrorist attacks in the world not linked to Islam? I don't think he equates Islam with terrorism, he just knows that it is the common impetus for most acts of terrorism and he isn't shy about confronting the truth.

Is it time to end early Sunday subway service?

GraphicMatt 12:40pm via Echofon
Interesting stuff here. $3 million police budget reduction, sure, but $5 million TTC budget reduction?

Want to reduce $5 million for the TTC? Switch to LRT, instead of a subway, to replace the SRT. There, I saved you $5 million, actually more.

That's not only the Chinese community. Whites. many of diverse immigrant backgrounds, have generational rifts as their kids grow up "Canadianized".

Yeah, it seems that people of all sorts of ethnic backgrounds sometimes have displeasing things to say about their members/descendants that grow up assimilated to a new country and thus are perceived as supposedly having lost touch with their roots. It's like how there are some Irish people from Ireland who'd call some Irish-Americans "plastic paddies" for showing pride in their Irish roots despite being born and raised in the US their whole life. It's nothing new -- people should just chill out about trying to tell others how their cultural identities ought to be if they're not harming or bothering anyone.

I've been there; it's kind of an outlier because of the types of businesses.

What's different about that mall's types of businesses that would make it an outlier or attract different demographics? It seems like the same kinds of stores are there that are typical of other malls in the city -- fashion stores, shoe stores, electronics and all that. Nothing that jumps out at me as particularly evocative of one ethnic community or another.

Yeah, it seems that people of all sorts of ethnic backgrounds sometimes have displeasing things to say about their members/descendants that grow up assimilated to a new country and thus are perceived as supposedly having lost touch with their roots. It's like how there are some Irish people from Ireland who'd call some Irish-Americans "plastic paddies" for showing pride in their Irish roots despite being born and raised in the US their whole life. It's nothing new -- people should just chill out about trying to tell others how their cultural identities ought to be if they're not harming or bothering anyone.

Sometimes, it's the reverse. Some North American "ethnic" descendants are more "ethnic" than the original. What happens is the descendants carry on the practices that the original "ethnic" country no longer practices.

That's your point? Its also the point of the process of urbanization, which is global, as people have to adjust to living in close proximity to "others". Look at what's happening to the American "melting pot" as religious, ethnic and racial groups are demonized for being un-American. I'm waiting for some Freedom Loving militia to target the Statue of Liberty.

Its not enough to just be 'non-racist' ("but...") any more. We have to become actively anti-racist for our city and country to not tear themselves apart.

First thing, America's "melting pot", people should not confuse it with urbanization. The American "melting pot", at least presently, is the forced assimilation into the Christian fold or Religious Right/Republican mind set; a Constitution of God's moral law and promotion of a theocracy.

The question for the activists out there is if we stop at toleration or acceptance? There is nothing as such as "anti-racism" just point of view that is as negative as its supposed opposite.

I enjoy living in a cosmopolitan society, I enjoy dealing with people not labels.

Anyway, I have digressed a little, so to bring it back to the topic... Col. Flagg & His Dysrhythmia Nation are still screaming about Tory lies, misdirection, and general Liberalism. Lately it is about the upcoming union negations and SmartTrack.

Last edited:
Anyway, I have digressed a little, so to bring it back to the topic... Col. Flagg & His Dysrhythmia Nation are still screaming about Tory lies, misdirection, and general Liberalism. Lately it is about the upcoming union negations and SmartTrack

Let them whine. Their leader won't be around in a year or so...

Based on my observations, whenever I'm out in the city, white people are less prevalent than other races; usually, heavily outnumbered. I imagine the Vic Park demographic is indicative of what most schools are like these days in Toronto. Given the declining birthrate among white people, and massive influx of immigrants having large families, it's not hard to imagine that that is true.
When immigrants come here, the kids take on the same characteristics as non-immi9ghrants and no longer have large families but 2 kids on average

SmartTrack’s preliminary ridership figures are far greater than expected
Mayor John Tory’s office will release numbers on Tuesday that show his key transit proposal could attract many more riders than he promised during the election campaign – figures that are much higher than a separate study looking at another version of the plan.
[...]
These numbers are sharply at odds with projections produced internally by the regional transit agency Metrolinx, though. And because the two sets of numbers are based on different versions of the plan, where the ridership ends up will depend in part on how closely the final project echoes the assumptions used by the people running the models.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...re-far-greater-than-expected/article28253223/

Where do you live and which parts of the city do you frequent? If you look around the suburbs, I'd say white people are less prevalent. It has nothing to do with paranoia, but what I see with my eyes.

I live and work downtown - that's as much as I'll say - but I'm all over the city. As for white people being less prevalent in the suburbs, it depends on the suburb.

I wasn't accusing you of paranoia, but I do notice that some white people mention the higher numbers of non-whites around them in some areas with a tone of 'that's not right' or 'I feel uneasy'.

What's different about that mall's types of businesses that would make it an outlier or attract different demographics? It seems like the same kinds of stores are there that are typical of other malls in the city -- fashion stores, shoe stores, electronics and all that. Nothing that jumps out at me as particularly evocative of one ethnic community or another.

There's very little variety in the kind of businesses there - as someone mentioned previously, a lot of stores selling Chinese dry goods/herbs, etc. - and it is close to a sizable Chinese community.

Back