News   Apr 25, 2024
 366     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

'Politically incorrect' is kind of a meaningless way of saying 'I'm going to be offensive and whine when you call me on it'; he basically equates Islam with terrorism without any kind of fact-based argument.

It's rather disappointing to see Ari swoop to that level - perhaps I should expect a response regarding a more recent cover of Charlie Hebdo instead?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/charlie-hebdo-alan-kurdi-cartoon-1.3403085

If buying a copy of the previous Charlie Hebdo is supposed to signify something, I wonder what would buying this one signify.

AoD

It's rather disappointing to see Ari swoop to that level - perhaps I should expect a response regarding a more recent cover of Charlie Hebdo instead?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/charlie-hebdo-alan-kurdi-cartoon-1.3403085

If buying a copy of the previous Charlie Hebdo is supposed to signify something, I wonder what would buying this one signify.

AoD

I'm not a fan of this idea of forcing people to do something to prove what they are or aren't. It smacks of inquisitions, and other, more recent forms of 'testing'.

Where do you live and which parts of the city do you frequent? If you look around the suburbs, I'd say white people are less prevalent. It has nothing to do with paranoia, but what I see with my eyes.

Really? Oakville? Burlington? Oshawa? North Toronto? Woodbridge? Maple? North Brampton? Or even Milton? Barrie? Hamilton? You might want to frequent the suburbs a bit more instead of going to a few areas with a relatively high concentration of Vis Min and then applying blanket statements.

AoD

I'm not a fan of this idea of forcing people to do something to prove what they are or aren't. It smacks of inquisitions, and other, more recent forms of 'testing'.

Me neither, but if he wanted to play this game of buying something to prove something, turnabout re: the recent issue is quite fair play - esp. if it is done on one's own volition.

AoD

When immigrants come here, the kids take on the same characteristics as non-immi9ghrants and no longer have large families but 2 kids on average

Depends on the culture. My parents are immigrants and they certainly didn't have tons of kids. In fact, I'm an only child. I don't know many immigrant generation Chinese Canadians (of my parents' generation) who have more than two kids.

Really? Oakville? Burlington? Oshawa? North Toronto? Woodbridge? Maple? North Brampton? Or even Milton? Barrie? Hamilton? You might want to frequent the suburbs a bit more instead of going to a few areas with a relatively high concentration of Vis Min and then applying blanket statements.

AoD

Exactly. One might see a larger number of non-whites in, say, Bayview Village these days (compared to the 80s, when I was a child), but I'd say it's far from majority. And the non-whites shopping at that mall are mostly East Asian. Probably a socio-economic thing.

When immigrants come here, the kids take on the same characteristics as non-immi9ghrants and no longer have large families but 2 kids on average
Depends on the culture. My parents are immigrants and they certainly didn't have tons of kids. In fact, I'm an only child. I don't know many immigrant generation Chinese Canadians (of my parents' generation) who have more than two kids.

If we're talking birth rates, you don't even have to go as far as to compare vastly different cultures in different countries -- even looking at the same country, within a couple of generations, you find stark contrasts.

Canadians had 3-4 kids on average during the post-war baby boom, averaging near four at its peak.

"From 1946 to 1965, thanks to a strong post-war economy, the reunification of families following the war and high marriage rates, Canada's baby boom was born. The boom peaked in 1959 when the total fertility rate reached 3.94 children per woman."

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-630-x/11-630-x2014002-eng.htm

Even though a country like China, which averaged 6 children during the 1960s, had obviously made a policy to forcibly bring the number to one per woman, other countries with no such coercion dropped their birth rates naturally.

Iran similarly went from having 6-7 children per woman around the same time, to around replacement fertility (2) today.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I live and work downtown - that's as much as I'll say - but I'm all over the city. As for white people being less prevalent in the suburbs, it depends on the suburb.

I wasn't accusing you of paranoia, but I do notice that some white people mention the higher numbers of non-whites around them in some areas with a tone of 'that's not right' or 'I feel uneasy'.
I think some people just want to maintain their culture and are sad to watch it diminish. There's nothing wrong with that. The majority of the world's nations are monocultures and no one accuses them of racism for wanting to maintain their heritage. It's basically only the white/European nations that have allowed other cultures to join them. Why isn't the rest of the world as welcoming to outsiders?

How did he initiate force? Challenging people is not coercion.

AoD
By suburbs I meant the inner ones: North York, Scarborough, East York, York, Etobicoke.

By suburbs I meant the inner ones: North York, Scarborough, East York, York, Etobicoke.

I was over at Bayview Village (NORTH YORK!) just after Boxing Day and did not notice that it was majority non-white. There were a good number of East Asians, with many Cantonese-speaking (and boomer age - probably because they've in the area for a few decades) and some South Asian, but probably at least 60% of shoppers were still white.

It's probably accurate to say that any mall/shopping area that includes a Pusateri's is far from "majority non-white". Wander around Mt Pleasant and Eglinton (or anywhere along Mt Pleasant). It's a far cry from somewhere like, say, Finch and Warden.

Are y'all planning to get back to Mayor Tory's neighborhood, City Hall, anytime soon? TPS and SmartTrack are back on the agenda thanks to the Budget deliberations. I'm interested in the perspectives Thompson and Sloly can bring to the police budget, and Keesmat's in to bolster Tory on ridership projections (shades of the Scarborough Subway boondoggle). What's really got me hopping tho is not being able to fund 30kph signs on downtown residential streets but going full tilt to save commuters 3-5 minutes on the East Gardiner hybrid, and that "iconic" TORONTO sign that's supposed to keep us united.

John Livey , Toronto deputy city manager, says that it may take until 2018 or 2019 until assessments can be completed to commence the proposed five-year hybrid construction project to repair the Gardiner expressway.
http://globalnews.ca/video/2463963/...says-gardner-construction-could-start-in-2019

Gardiner east revamp could cost $1 billion

1297795742917_ORIGINAL.jpg

City officials have now narrowed down three design options, which range in cost from $906 million to $1 billion and would take two years to four years to build.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/19/gardiner-east-revamp-could-cost-1-billion

Attachments

• 1297795742917_ORIGINAL.jpg
    1297795742917_ORIGINAL.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

Back