News   May 27, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 978     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 5.3K     3 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Okay, fine. Non-new comers/immigrant Chinese Canadians. People like me - Jooksings/CBCs. Those who were born here or came here as young children (as in before Grade 3 or 4).
That's not only the Chinese community. Whites. many of diverse immigrant backgrounds, have generational rifts as their kids grow up "Canadianized". Its racist to make comments about any racial group, or all "minorities", as if they're all homogenious. That's your point? Its also the point of the process of urbanization, which is global, as people have to adjust to living in close proximity to "others". Look at what's happening to the American "melting pot" as religious, ethnic and racial groups are demonized for being un-American. I'm waiting for some Freedom Loving militia to target the Statue of Liberty.

Its not enough to just be 'non-racist' ("but...") any more. We have to become actively anti-racist for our city and country to not tear themselves apart.

Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 11.49.24 AM.png

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/bu/bgrd/backgroundfile-87868.pdf

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 11.49.24 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 11.49.24 AM.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 281
I just got my rebate for my municipal election contribution. I wonder how many of these were sent to Vaughan, and why. How much could the City save if this ridiculousness was ended. How many councillors would vote against such a motion?

Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 1.13.05 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 1.12.41 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 1.12.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 1.12.41 PM.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 1.13.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 1.13.05 PM.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 273
I just got my rebate for my municipal election contribution. I wonder how many of these were sent to Vaughan, and why. How much could the City save if this ridiculousness was ended. How many councillors would vote against such a motion?
Apparently 34 of them voted against exactly that. in October 2015..

2 - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor James Pasternak (Lost)

That City Council amend Executive Committee Recommendation 3 by including the following comments in the City Manager's submission being made to the Province related to the Municipal Elections Act:

That media personalities working in electronic, print or online media must take a leave of absence from their employer upon registering as a candidate for a City of Toronto election.

That fines related to various lawn sign infractions under the Municipal Elections Act do not count as an election expense.

That only residents whose principal residence is located in the City of Toronto are eligible for the campaign donor rebate program.

Vote (Amend Item)
Oct-01-2015 7:42 PM

Result: Lost Majority Required - EX8.1 - Pasternak - motion 2 - Part 1
Yes: 9 Maria Augimeri, John Campbell, Christin Carmichael Greb, Frank Di Giorgio, Mary Fragedakis, Frances Nunziata (Chair), James Pasternak, Jaye Robinson, David Shiner
No: 34 Paul Ainslie, Ana Bailão, Michelle Berardinetti, Jon Burnside, Shelley Carroll, Raymond Cho, Josh Colle, Gary Crawford, Joe Cressy, Vincent Crisanti, Janet Davis, Glenn De Baeremaeker, Justin J. Di Ciano, Sarah Doucette, John Filion, Paula Fletcher, Mark Grimes, Stephen Holyday, Jim Karygiannis, Norman Kelly, Chin Lee, Giorgio Mammoliti, Josh Matlow, Pam McConnell, Mary-Margaret McMahon, Joe Mihevc, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Ron Moeser, Cesar Palacio, Gord Perks, Anthony Perruzza, Michael Thompson, John Tory, Kristyn Wong-Tam
Absent: 2 Rob Ford, Mike Layton

Vote (Amend Item)
Oct-01-2015 7:42 PM

Result: Lost Majority Required - EX8.1 - Pasternak - motion 2 - Part 1
Yes: 9 Maria Augimeri, John Campbell, Christin Carmichael Greb, Frank Di Giorgio, Mary Fragedakis, Frances Nunziata (Chair), James Pasternak, Jaye Robinson, David Shiner
No: 34 Paul Ainslie, Ana Bailão, Michelle Berardinetti, Jon Burnside, Shelley Carroll, Raymond Cho, Josh Colle, Gary Crawford, Joe Cressy, Vincent Crisanti, Janet Davis, Glenn De Baeremaeker, Justin J. Di Ciano, Sarah Doucette, John Filion, Paula Fletcher, Mark Grimes, Stephen Holyday, Jim Karygiannis, Norman Kelly, Chin Lee, Giorgio Mammoliti, Josh Matlow, Pam McConnell, Mary-Margaret McMahon, Joe Mihevc, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Ron Moeser, Cesar Palacio, Gord Perks, Anthony Perruzza, Michael Thompson, John Tory, Kristyn Wong-Tam

Well that was a pretty decisive and bi-partisan vote against it.

Well that was a pretty decisive and bi-partisan vote against it.
What a cheap investment in Toronto! This may be enuf to put me off voting and certainly off contributing to an election that's carpetbagged by 'outsiders' wanting to see the City 'Walmartized' into a nice-place-to-visit-but-you-wouldn't-want-to-live-there kind of place.

And let's also remember that relatively speaking, the trend's probably in the other direction in the city core--again, reflecting neighbourhood demos. You don't find many young white (or "blended") hipster families in the Vic Park catchbasin these days.

So yes: a lot of this might be viewed through rose-coloured "this used to be my playground" glasses, i.e. reading "the school I went to" as representative of "schools" at large...
Based on my observations, whenever I'm out in the city, white people are less prevalent than other races; usually, heavily outnumbered. I imagine the Vic Park demographic is indicative of what most schools are like these days in Toronto. Given the declining birthrate among white people, and massive influx of immigrants having large families, it's not hard to imagine that that is true.

Aside from his defence of profiling (which amounted to little more than 'Black people are dangerous'), he's also very prejudiced towards Muslims.
What do you base this on; his disdain for the niqab and the fact that he holds politically incorrect views re Islam; something else? I actually like how outspoken he is. I think that is one of his best traits.

What do you base this on; his disdain for the niqab and the fact that he holds politically incorrect views re Islam; something else? I actually like how outspoken he is. I think that is one of his best traits.

'Politically incorrect' is kind of a meaningless way of saying 'I'm going to be offensive and whine when you call me on it'; he basically equates Islam with terrorism without any kind of fact-based argument.

Ari Goldkind‏@AriGoldkind 13 Jan 2015
Wouldn't it be something if every Western Muslim bought a copy this week to clearly show that they don't condone..... http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/01/13/charlie_hebdo_publishing_prophet_muhammad_cartoon_on_front_cover.html…

So he expects every member of a religion to buy something to prove something to him? But at the same time he'll pose for pics with Muslims, because hey, photo op:

Ari Goldkind ‏@AriGoldkind 28 Jun 2014
At #CHINpicnic @CHINPicnic_ w/great members of the Muslim community talking politics & support for youth #TOpoli

Which malls do you visit? Do you visit Fairview Mall, ever?

I've been there; it's kind of an outlier because of the types of businesses.

White people are not a minority, visible or otherwise, in Toronto. This sense of being outnumbered is a kind of paranoia peculiar to certain white people.

Back