Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Isn't that illegal though?

What is legal anyway? There is basically zero risk of being considered illegal.

1) a police car won't pull you over for no reason
2) if it did, a friend is dropping me off at YYZ as a favour. Is it a crime? (as I always use the same driver, we do know each other)

Many of these drivers are out of job and try to make some income. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Really, are you that ignorant of the law?

It's 100% illegal. Don't try and suggest otherwise.

You sound like one of those criminals who cheats on their taxes, but tries to justify that they aren't doing something wrong.

If it happens between two consenting adults in the back of a taxi on the way to Pearson, who are we to say it is wrong?

A lot of people here say $25 is too high and will kill their market share. Here is what KPMG said back in 2001:

... the following assumptions:
- For fares up to $10 passenger usage is not materially sensitive to price and ... it was found in the survey that in a group of one million total annual originating/ terminating air travellers, 9.6 %, or 96,000 passengers are predicted to use the Link at a $10 fare, producing a total annual revenue of $960,000.
- It was also found that with a fare of $15 only 7.25 % are predicted to use the train, producing a total revenue of $1,090,000.

The maximum revenue might be attained at a $13.00 fare level (in 1999
dollars). That will produce revenues of approximately $1,120,000, representing a ridership of 86,100, i.e., 8.6 % of the total of one million passengers.

For economics nerds, they are assuming an elasticitiy of 0.5, and they say maximum revenue happens at a fare of $13, which today is $16.

Sounds about right to me -- a fare over $15 would be just crazy.

Good digging! Hmm, interesting. How does the bus justify $24 then? Though I see it's down to $16.62 with a book of 10 ... perhaps that's how they do it. Get the regulars with the cheaper fare, and get the tourists and business travellers at full fare. Interesting to see how GO does it. Hopefully they'll have onboard PrestoCard readers on the trains.

Really, are you that ignorant of the law?

It's 100% illegal. Don't try and suggest otherwise.

You sound like one of those criminals who cheats on their taxes, but tries to justify that they aren't doing something wrong.

OK, teach me what is wrong here: I offer someone a job that can bring him $35 of income, which he can spend buy food for his kids; on the other hand, I pay $35 rather than $60 to someone who provides exactly the same service.

So you think if I overpaid $60 to some unionized cab driver, then I am a good citizen?

Who gets to decide whom I should hire and shouldn't?

A lot of people here say $25 is too high and will kill their market share. Here is what KPMG said back in 2001:

For economics nerds, they are assuming an elasticitiy of 0.5, and they say maximum revenue happens at a fare of $13, which today is $16.

that coincides with my instinct well. $15 is the maximum I am willing to pay. $10 is what I feel very comfortable to pay.

It is crazy to charge a price 50% of taking a personal cab, in which case the cabs waits for you at your door and sends you the exact gate you want to be, and you get to decide the time, not the driver of the car. There is no waiting time, and no subway ride to the station either.

additional, in case of more than 2 travelers, no one will choose the ARL because taking a cab is so much more preferable.

it is public transit by nature and profit maximization should not be its goal. If it were, the TTC fare should be a lot higher as most commuters have no alternative (elasicity close to 0)

So put it at 10 and watch the money be made back.

This whole project is only 250 million.

The crown. As a government employee, I'd have thought you'd avoid such criminality.

you don't seen to know what the word "crime" means.
underground economy exists everywhere, in every country. The government doesnt really care as long as it is doesn't bring negative consequences (crime, drugs etc). Often it is good to the economy.

It is not like if I don't ask my driver, I will hail a cab. I will take the TTC anyway. "The crown" really has nothing to lose.

By the way, I used some handyman (from craiglist) to fix a few household stuff as well; I am also taking some music lessons from a personal tutor. Since none of these are licensed by the "Crown" and no tax is involved, should I be arrested?

(Reply to nfitz about the Airport Express bus fare) -- Yes, I think it might be like that. The hotel bus might have a high proportion of price-insensitive customers - they people actually staying in those hotels. The ARL wouldn't have that kind of captive market, except maybe the guests at the Royal York.

Last edited:
... should I be arrested?
Yes. You are stealing from the rest of us who pay our share of taxes.

Your criminality is bad enough ... but you have the gall to come here and justify it?

Though given so many of your posts are simply trolling ... one can probably assume that you are trolling once again, and have never actually ventured far enough out of your basement to know what the airport actually looks like.

Yes, I think it might be like that. The hotel bus might have a high proportion of price-insensitive customers - they people actually staying in those hotels. The ARL wouldn't have that kind of captive market, except maybe the guests at the Royal York.

I heard it often take more time to take the express bus ($20+) than the subway+192 from downtown.

Yes. You are stealing from the rest of us who pay our share of taxes.

Your criminality is bad enough ... but you have the gall to come here and justify it?

Though given so many of your posts are simply trolling ... one can probably assume that you are trolling once again, and have never actually ventured far enough out of your basement to know what the airport actually looks like.

Enough with the "troll" comment. That's not up to you to decide, so please stop pretending you have the authority. The truth is, despite all my blunt and controversial comments, I never attacked anyone personally. I was always commenting on the topic, while many of you guys seem to like to focus on me personally rather than my opinions. I never complained though. At least I have the deceny to respect others despite different views.

PS: If my behavior deserves jail time, I am pretty sure more than 30% of adult Canadians, including forum members here, should be in jail now. I guess finding a nanny/babysitter/cleaning lady online (not through any agency) should be criminal as well?

Back