Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Pacific Western's airport service may still be around with the ARL. They recently launched Airport Express Connect which shuttles passengers from their Airport Express stop directly to different hotels in the downtown core. It looks like you can get a ride from Terminal 1 or 3 to a long list of downtown hotels for $25.60 with one transfer.

Curious............will the Pearson Line have it's own tracks from Pearson all the way to Union? I know that they will be on the same rail rail ROW but will they be totally different lines or share some sections?

Curious........will the Pearson Line have it's own track all the way from Pearson to Union? I know they will share the same Georgetown rail ROW but are tracks totally different all the way or will they share some track?

There will most likely be some sharing, but it is unknown beyond that vague answer.

The tracks between Pearson's spur and Union will be general use tracks. At Weston and Bloor all of the platforms will have a low platform section for regular GO trains and high section at one end to handle the airport trains. Scheduling will mean that most of the time the trains will stick to specific platforms in the same way most of the tracks at Union (save for the few VIA ones) are general purpose GO tracks but certain trains tend to use the same platform all the time. Scheduling will determine where conflicts could occur with other trains on the line and track changes will be determined to minimize those conflicts.

Not sure if this has already been discussed...but what is the working going on at the foot of strachan near fort York/princess gate? Apparently it's part of this project but not certain to what....

Not sure if this has already been discussed...but what is the working going on at the foot of strachan near fort York/princess gate? Apparently it's part of this project but not certain to what....
The rail line is being lowered and the road raised to avoid the level crossing. There's LOTS on it in another thread and on GO website

That's the downstream shaft for the tunneled sewer that has to be lowered due to the lowering of the rail corridor.

From today's Sun:

Councillor Frances Nunziata wants council to request Metrolinx add eight additional stops to the two planned stops on the Union-Pearson Air Rail Link. Nunziata wants one of the stops to be at Eglinton Ave. W. to connect with the Crosstown LRT. Other stops she wants considered are Liberty Village, the Junction, Carleton Village, Jane St., Etobicoke North, Woodbine and Humber.

In other words, make the ARL into the DRL (West). I'm not sure that's the stop list you'd choose, and I'm not sure Nunziata is the one who can get it done. But at least this good idea could get some attention now.

From today's Sun:

In other words, make the ARL into the DRL (West). I'm not sure that's the stop list you'd choose, and I'm not sure Nunziata is the one who can get it done. But at least this good idea could get some attention now.

Is it a "good idea"? Not disputing the need for a DRL (west or east) but is this the type of service that would do it? Trains every 15 minutes and rolling stock that is more like inter-city trains than subways? It also re-does the entire business plan of the ARL as no one is going to pay +/- $20 for a train to the airport that would now make 10 stops (the two planned plus these 8) before it got to the airport.

Is it a "good idea"? Not disputing the need for a DRL (west or east) but is this the type of service that would do it? Trains every 15 minutes and rolling stock that is more like inter-city trains than subways? It also re-does the entire business plan of the ARL as no one is going to pay +/- $20 for a train to the airport that would now make 10 stops (the two planned plus these 8) before it got to the airport.

But is a premium $20 limited-stop service to the airport the most effective use of this corridor? The rolling stock, frequency, and fare can all be changed, and if it means that the ARL can no longer be a premium $20 service, so much the better -- I think a cheaper service with more stops would get much more use and be of much more benefit to the community.

Of course the idea is to avoid wasting this valuable corridor on a premium service that will be mainly for a few tourists.

I just got back from a flight through BWI. The light rail system that connects Baltimore to its airport charges $1.60!

Of course the idea is to avoid wasting this valuable corridor on a premium service that will be mainly for a few tourists.

I just got back from a flight through BWI. The light rail system that connects Baltimore to its airport charges $1.60!

A few tourists and business people (we are, after all, a business community).

It does not "waste" the corridor. It uses it but, after all the work, the corridor will have capacity for this service and others.

I have been on record, since the ARL first came up, as favouring a balanced approach to transit to-from the airport and along the corridor in general. I think this can be achieved by having the express ARL charging those tourists and business people the +/- $20 for their express ride while using the increased capacity by having very frequent GO service along the line and connecting the Malton GO station to the airport by an extension of the people mover.

So those tourists and business travellers can pay their premium fare and the rest of us can sacrifice comfort/express and have slightly less direct service, at slightly lower comfort levels and at much lower fares.

Kinda like a London solution....there is the tube or the express train....different service levels and different price points.

The ability to do that will be there......I am not sure how much it would cost to extend/replace the people mover but surely it is not that much.

BWI is interesting for the connectivity that it offers. It's a short shuttle ride from the MARC commuter train between Baltimore and Washington Union (hourly service Monday-Friday only though) and surprisingly frequent Amtrak NEC service. I've used the LRT from BWI to downtown Baltimore, to within three blocks of the hotel where a conference I was attending was (and where I was staying). The fare is cheap, but the service infrequent (I recall 30 minute service middays, though it was one of two branches of the MTA Maryland Blue Line which joined), and parts of Howard Street, the downtown street trackage, a bit dodgy. It skirts the busy, safe and vibrant parts of the downtown core, which are to the east, but directly serves Camden Yards and the NFL stadium.

The really bad parts of Baltimore featured in Homicide:LotS and The Wire are in the west and east sides outside the vibrant Downtown and Inner Harbour areas.

Last edited:

Back