Toronto TCHC Block 32 Development | ?m | 41s | TCHC | KPMB

I didn't say "crap", but instead it is underwhelming. It could use more plantings and water features, though I know these would require more manpower and money to maintain. I do think that Norway Park does look neglected. Trinity Bellwoods would be my favourite of the 3.

You're comparing a well established park in Trinity Bellwoods to a newly developed Canoe Landing park?

Yeah I prefer the C300 over the Camry as well.

Canoe Park is also still surrounded by construction zones. Just like everything else about City Place, more jumping to conclusions before it's finished.

Wait until all these buildings are completed without construction and the park will seem a lot nicer and busier.

Canoe Park is also still surrounded by construction zones. Just like everything else about City Place, more jumping to conclusions before it's finished.
Wait until all these buildings are completed without construction and the park will seem a lot nicer and busier.

I agree..and trying to make comparisons to an established 100yr.old park is insane.:eek:

Wow TCHC Block 32 is going up soooo fast! I wonder if too fast?

Already peaking above it's neighbour.

IMG_1127.jpg

Yeah, but you have to deal with all the hipsters. Give me hack art over smug hipsters any day.

Oh please; there's certainly no hipsters in Cityplace, and Trinity is not frequented only by "smug hipsters". Who's the one being smug here? Or am I missing your sarcasm?

Oh please; there's certainly no hipsters in Cityplace, and Trinity is not frequented only by "smug hipsters". Who's the one being smug here? Or am I missing your sarcasm?

He means Cityplace has the "art" by Copeland or "hack art". Trinity has the hipsters. He prefers the art to hipsters. There wasn't any sarcasm in the line.

Thanks for clarifying AKS.

And just to clarify my statement, I was being sarcastic saying there's no hipsters in Cityplace.

Bit defensive are we? Hipsters never like to admit they're hipsters it's okay. ;)

Trinity Bellwoods not frequented by hipsters? Oh really....

TORONTO LIFE

If being a hipster includes having unpretentious parks, bike riding, human-scale, art galleries, nice restaurants, boutiques, transit, and being around well-dressed people, then call me a hipster!

I live in Parkdale. It is a great neighbourhood.

Cityplace is homogenous, sterile and severely lacking in culture. The tenants' general opposition to affordable housing being built in the area is particularly sickening.

I'll take hipsters over suburban-minded yuppies any day.

If being a hipster includes having unpretentious parks, bike riding, human-scale, art galleries, nice restaurants, boutiques, transit, and being around well-dressed people, then call me a hipster!

I live in Parkdale. It is a great neighbourhood.

Cityplace is homogenous, sterile and severely lacking in culture. The tenants' general opposition to affordable housing being built in the area is particularly sickening.

I'll take hipsters over suburban-minded yuppies any day.
+ 1

I live in Parkdale call me a hipster!

Okay. You're a hipster.

Cityplace is homogenous, sterile and severely lacking in culture.

I've heard this complaint about CityPlace numerous times, and it usually code for, 'Mostly Asian'. Personally I think CityPlace is as mixed a neighbourhood as any other place in Toronto. Yes it's predominantly young, good-looking professionals and students. Just as Forest Hill is mostly Jewish, just as Rosedale is mostly old money wasps, Yonge & Eglinton is mostly families and Parkdale is heavily hipster. CityPlace is just not the culture you like. It's no more or less homogenous or sterile than any other part of the city. You just like your area and I like mine. And for the record a lot of people are VERY excited about the TCHC development, the ones that weren't have moved out to Roncy/Parkdale ironically.

I've heard this complaint about CityPlace numerous times, and it usually code for, 'Mostly Asian'. Personally I think CityPlace is as mixed a neighbourhood as any other place in Toronto. Yes it's predominantly young, good-looking professionals and students. Just as Forest Hill is mostly Jewish, just as Rosedale is mostly old money wasps, Yonge & Eglinton is mostly families and Parkdale is heavily hipster. CityPlace is just not the culture you like. It's no more or less homogenous or sterile than any other part of the city. You just like your area and I like mine. And for the record a lot of people are VERY excited about the TCHC development, the ones that weren't have moved out to Roncy/Parkdale ironically.

First, no one said anything about race. There are lots of hipster Asians; many OCADists and upcoming Toronto artists are Asian that I know. So why would Asian be "homogenous?"

Parkdale is heavily hipster? Yeah ... the young people who live there are, maybe. Unlike Cityplace - and Rosedale and Forest Hill - there is a massive variety of income groups, races, ages, and types. That is what is meant by diversity.

Cityplace is objectively more homogenous. The built form is entirely Tower in the Park. In Parkdale, there is a huge variety of architecture ranging from the 1800s to today, from rental towers to Victorian mansion. Though not so much has been built in the past 30 years (Q Lofts and that one townhouse development on Elm Grove is all I can think of).

And as for your statement that those who don't like the TCHC moved to Roncy or Parkdale - how can you explain this, other than idiocy? They can't avoid the social housing there - it is a part of the fabric. So if they truly didn't like it, they couldn't be going there. You must be projecting a dislike of the TCHC housing onto them.

Last edited:
Bringing up sweeping claims about any large group of people (hipsters, "suburban types", etc.) is weak, childish, generally unfounded, and never causes anything but disagreement and arguments on the boards.

Yet people never seem to learn...

Back