Toronto TCHC Block 32 Development | ?m | 41s | TCHC | KPMB

Okay. You're a hipster.

I've heard this complaint about CityPlace numerous times, and it usually code for, 'Mostly Asian'. Personally I think CityPlace is as mixed a neighbourhood as any other place in Toronto. Yes it's predominantly young, good-looking professionals and students. Just as Forest Hill is mostly Jewish, just as Rosedale is mostly old money wasps, Yonge & Eglinton is mostly families and Parkdale is heavily hipster. CityPlace is just not the culture you like. It's no more or less homogenous or sterile than any other part of the city. You just like your area and I like mine. And for the record a lot of people are VERY excited about the TCHC development, the ones that weren't have moved out to Roncy/Parkdale ironically.

Thank you for hacking up my post. I disagree with pretty much everything you said, and probably what you stand for as a person. but this is not a debate forum and we're getting off topic. Send me an email and I will rebuke you accordingly.

If being a hipster includes having unpretentious parks, bike riding, human-scale, art galleries, nice restaurants, boutiques, transit, and being around well-dressed people, then call me a hipster!

I live in Parkdale. It is a great neighbourhood.

Cityplace is homogenous, sterile and severely lacking in culture. The tenants' general opposition to affordable housing being built in the area is particularly sickening.

I'll take hipsters over suburban-minded yuppies any day.

+ A lot!! Very good points, especially the part about the tenants opposition to affordable housing, but was the cancellation of the tower not more than just the cityplace tenants in fairness?

Bit defensive are we? Hipsters never like to admit they're hipsters it's okay. ;)
Actually yeah! How can I not be when you ironically named Bellwoods visitors as "smug hipsters" in your overly smug way of saying it? LOL
Trinity Bellwoods not frequented by hipsters? Oh really....
Way to not read what I said. Is it frequented by hipsters? Of course, everywhere in the downtown area is, including your beloved park. What I said was: "Trinity is not frequented only by 'smug hipsters'."

What a rather lame article/submission/whatever-it-is the person wrote. Fortunately the Urban Diplomat mostly put that person back in their place, as do most of the comments. Summary: "Oh no, people using the tennis courts just for fun!?! How annoying. And I don't like the way they dress. Stupid hipsters. Kick them out of the public tennis courts."

Cityplace is objectively more homogenous. The built form is entirely Tower in the Park. In Parkdale, there is a huge variety of architecture ranging from the 1800s to today, from rental towers to Victorian mansion. Though not so much has been built in the past 30 years (Q Lofts and that one townhouse development on Elm Grove is all I can think of).

I beg to differ. There's architecture ranging from 1800's. Right across Bathurst Street is old Fort York. It was built in the 1800's. I bet you don't have any forts at your area. There would have been a fort east of Bathurst too if it wasn't buried years ago and dug up recently during the Library Condo excavation.

There's also some town houses north of Front St along King St W. and some near the lake south. The area is city place. Concord just builds on part of city place. If you mean "Concord developments" are homogenous. Sure it might be. But the area Concord built on was a golf course. Would you prefer the area to stay a golf course? If you look everywhere around, pretty much all the new condos built in the last decade are homogenous glass towers. Not just Concord developments.

There's architecture ranging from 1800's. Right across Bathurst Street is old Fort York. It was built in the 1800's. I bet you don't have any forts at your area. There would have been a fort east of Bathurst too if it wasn't buried years ago and dug up recently during the Library Condo excavation.

There's also some town houses north of Front St along King St W. and some near the lake south. The area is city place. Concord just builds on part of city place.

Yes I will give you that - if you include a wider area of course it isn't totally homogenous. I love Wellington and King West, Canoe Park and the western cityplace architecture in general, Fort York, the former brewery, the loblaws warehouse, the waterfront (especially the music garden and Norway Park and hoping something good will happen with the former cement factory), the tip top building, etc. The TCHC will add something great to the area, as will the library - and I am hoping the daycare/school etc.

While I am more of lover of the established neighbourhood, I am not of the opinion that the new cityplace is a wasteland as others may believe - though I do believe it is more homogeneous than parkdale, still.

I beg to differ. There's architecture ranging from 1800's. Right across Bathurst Street is old Fort York. It was built in the 1800's. I bet you don't have any forts at your area. There would have been a fort east of Bathurst too if it wasn't buried years ago and dug up recently during the Library Condo excavation.

There's also some town houses north of Front St along King St W. and some near the lake south. The area is city place. Concord just builds on part of city place. If you mean "Concord developments" are homogenous. Sure it might be. But the area Concord built on was a golf course. Would you prefer the area to stay a golf course? If you look everywhere around, pretty much all the new condos built in the last decade are homogenous glass towers. Not just Concord developments.

Fort York was never part of Cityplace. The archeological excavations are not part of Cityplace. As noted earlier, the golf course replaced a weedy field. One time, that weedy field was a rail yards. Cityplace is a Concord development. Cityplace is not a place, it is the name of a condo development. The buildings have existed since only the end of the 90's (1990's).

The second fort to which AKS seems to be referring was actually over in what is now Exhibition Place. The Stanley Barracks just west of the Automotive Building are all that remain of that encampment.

gristle is correct in reiterating that Cityplace is not a municipal designation, but the name of a development. Sort of like Remington's 'Downtown Markham' north of the 407.

Fort York was never part of Cityplace. The archeological excavations are not part of Cityplace. As noted earlier, the golf course replaced a weedy field. One time, that weedy field was a rail yards. Cityplace is a Concord development. Cityplace is not a place, it is the name of a condo development. The buildings have existed since only the end of the 90's (1990's).

Wrong... Cityplace extends all the way to York Street from Bathurst Street, and from the Gardiner to Front Street. It is not just a development. Concord named the development after the area which was already being referred to as Cityplace before Concord ever became a part of the picture. The Residents Association, which has nothing to do with Concord even uses these boundaries.

Cityplace, and the boundaries mentioned above, are recognized by the City, Police, and the Province, as all three parties work closely with the Resident's Association.

Last edited:
Dirty windows;

6307598975_087c72fb1a_b.jpg

The western face of TCHC's block 32 tower is starting to look more spandrel heavy than Parade :S

Why did they not use the same treatment as the eastern side??
It's starting to look like they 'pulled a Shangri-la', having the more distinctive side facing away from the most prominent view

The western face of TCHC's block 32 tower is starting to look more spandrel heavy than Parade :S

Why did they not use the same treatment as the eastern side??

It's starting to look like they 'pulled a Shangri-la', having the more distinctive side facing away from the most prominent view

The eastern facade won't be do prominent once Library Condos is up. I expect that this tower will be most visible from Canoe Landing.

Back