Toronto TCHC Block 32 Development | ?m | 41s | TCHC | KPMB

Kinda like Traverso @ Lawrence/Dufferin? I love the idea of a deep, inset balcony but not sure how useful they'd be daylight-wise. Plus, I think the indoor living space is more valuable in this case than a blacony.
Plus doesn't this TCHC have a rooftop patio on the podiums? Plus there's 'Canoe' (Crap) Park.

If you're going to call a park 'crap', some justification would be appropriate. What is it about Canoe landing that is so crappy? I am really curious because I think its a great public space.

It's great as a public space for the residents of this neighbourhood (the field for soccer, hills for tobogganing, etc.), but the touches of "art" definitely fall flat, and suffer from being dumbed down from the original drawings. The bog standard concrete paving leaves a lot to be desired too, as the place feels very sterile and vacant, even with all the colour. I looked back at the model again, and notice they got out of building the bridged walkways too... lot's of cheapening of the park, for sure.

Last edited:
Working on the 26th floor...15 more to go. This is moving fast and should top-off by march.
I wonder if it is going to have the rooftop lighting feature, similar to the rest of CityPlace

Last edited:
There are some changes coming to Canoe Landing in the near future. The grassy patch fronting Fort York Blvd. will be turned into a dog park, and the plantings along the hill leading up to the Canoe are being replaced by Concord with something better.

Do you guys realize the Beaver Pond/fountain has not worked all summer? I don't know if it's broken or if they just turned it off but it has not worked all summer. Parts of the lure sculptures are already getting rusty, so I'm sure the best quality materials were't used. If this park is showing signs of neglect in less than a year, I wonder what its future holds?

I went down to see the park for myself also, and I also felt that it just falls flat. And yes it does feel as though it is already showing signs of neglect.

meh,

I took a walk through about a week ago and it seemed fine to me.
The rust on the 'candy sculptors' were really the same as they looked over a year ago to me i.e. they haven't gotten any worse.

Where the park falls flat is plantings, there's very little in the way of that. Also some more maintenance would be ideal.

But I don't really see signs of neglect in the sense that when the park opened it looked very much like it does today (or last week, when I did the walk).

Do you guys realize the Beaver Pond/fountain has not worked all summer? I don't know if it's broken or if they just turned it off but it has not worked all summer.

I heard that this was because dogs were getting sick the previous summer from drinking the water which had to be chlorinated to prevent bacteria/algae growth. I have no idea if there is any truth to this.

I went down to see the park for myself also, and I also felt that it just falls flat. And yes it does feel as though it is already showing signs of neglect.

meh,

I took a walk through about a week ago and it seemed fine to me.
The rust on the 'candy sculptors' were really the same as they looked over a year ago to me i.e. they haven't gotten any worse.

Where the park falls flat is plantings, there's very little in the way of that. Also some more maintenance would be ideal.

But I don't really see signs of neglect in the sense that when the park opened it looked very much like it does today (or last week, when I did the walk).

Saying that the park "falls flat" and calling it "crap" are very different things though, no? Take a walk about a kilometer northwest of canoe landing to Stanley Park, and compare the two parks. In fact go to most any park in the city of a similar size and tell me why Canoe Landing could be called "crap" in comparison. Most parks are nothing more than a grass field with a baseball diamond or something. How about the Norway park southwest of there? Its a grass field with a baseball diamond, a path along the side, and a totem pole. Is this park also crap? A park is so much more than the sum of its features, plantings, facilities and artwork, just as a city is more than just tall buildings.

Canoe Landing park provides a space in which you will find a sense of community. I can walk through that park at any time and almost without fail see someone I know to just say hi or stop for a conversation. And I have met most of those people in that park. There are soccer games being played year round on that fantastic astroturf field, people walking their dogs, skateboarders, runners, readers, kids playing in the fountains, tourists checking out the canoe and lovers making out on it. Cityplace has long been decried by many (including myself) as lacking a sense of community. Canoe Landing offers residents a place to meet, and play, and relax and without it, Cityplace would be much, much worse off. I suppose then, that this is why I get my back up when someone calls this place "crap". Its a multi-use public space with some pretty spectacular city views in an area that used to be a wasteland. The quality of art in the park is certainly debatable (which is, by definition, the nature of art) and maybe the plantings could be better, but it is a place that is full of life and vibrant year-round.

^^^ This.

The CityPlace haters are so tired and predictable. The park is great. I just walked through it the other day. It gets lots of use and it's completely different from all other parks in the city.

^^^ This.

The CityPlace haters are so tired and predictable. The park is great. I just walked through it the other day. It gets lots of use and it's completely different from all other parks in the city.

I find Trinity Bellwoods Park is quite used as well. Every time I pass through there, there's a lot of people. I don't go there often, but when I pass by, it's always busy.

Do you guys realize the Beaver Pond/fountain has not worked all summer? I don't know if it's broken or if they just turned it off but it has not worked all summer. Parts of the lure sculptures are already getting rusty, so I'm sure the best quality materials were't used. If this park is showing signs of neglect in less than a year, I wonder what its future holds?

Yes there was an issue with the beaver pond, and it is scheduled to be fixed. The city is in charge of the park now, and things move slowly at the City.

I didn't say "crap", but instead it is underwhelming. It could use more plantings and water features, though I know these would require more manpower and money to maintain. I do think that Norway Park does look neglected. Trinity Bellwoods would be my favourite of the 3.

Back