Toronto TCHC Block 32 Development | ?m | 41s | TCHC | KPMB

This hands down looks better than anything in Cityplace. I dare say this project will look stunning when completed.

I'd agree that so far it has the best podium(easily) and perhaps i'll be the best project overall.

But I wouldn't say its the best tower, since we haven't even seen it yet. I do like the facade as shown on the render, but the tower is still quite 'boxy'. We'll see...

Parade 2 is my favorite of the lot, for now. I like its symmetry, how it looks clean and how the color of the glass blends in with the sky as do the spandrels which mask their use. And of course, primarily because its cylindrical, which for the love of god I am thankful for.

Sure I understand quality architecture can be had in a minimalistic box (TD center, X, Casa etc). But overall I'm tired of the form. Again, not asking for Dubai tackiness, just some more interesting shapes and forms.

Ironically I see Parade phase one as the worst city place building. Heavy use of spandrels that is painfully obvious. Just a plain box with no distinctive features. At least with Luna and Montage they tried something, but there's far too much repetition between them all.

There actually is a pattern to the balconies on Parade 1, but you wouldn't know it at first glace and its not a pretty one to begin with. While I prefer city place blue over all the greens and gray going up in this city, they really shouldn't have used it on all their buildings. Overall it just incredibly messy.

However, I still think that city place buildings by themselves are no worse than your average Toronto condo. Its the development as a whole that is architecturally flawed.

Taken today:

TCHC-BLOCK-32-10-09-2011-1.jpg

TCHC-BLOCK-32-10-09-2011-2.jpg

I can't believe someone posted a picture without reiterating that this looks 'hands down better than anything in CityPlace.' :rolleyes: ;)

I can't believe someone posted a picture without reiterating that this looks 'hands down better than anything in CityPlace.' :rolleyes: ;)

I agree with you completely. I think this building is sharp looking - the cladding on this building is just beautiful and completely different than the mundane blue and green we tend to see so often.

TCHC-BLOCK-32-10-09-2011-4.jpg

I find some of the forumers here very funny. I wonder if all Cityplace buildings look like this one, and this building looks like a typical Cityplace building, what would you say? "Sharp looking building"..."much better than all the other Cityplace crap"..."why can't Cityplace have more buildings like this"...haha funny.

I wonder what the units are like. Are there any floorplans? Will these be more family-friendly units ,ie: not all 1 Bed + Den?

I find some of the forumers here very funny. I wonder if all Cityplace buildings look like this one, and this building looks like a typical Cityplace building, what would you say? "Sharp looking building"..."much better than all the other Cityplace crap"..."why can't Cityplace have more buildings like this"...haha funny.

This is exactly the problem- the CityPlace buildings aren't bad looking (in fact, they're much better than some of the projects going up elsewhere in the city), but there's too many of them in one place.

I wonder what the units are like. Are there any floorplans? Will these be more family-friendly units ,ie: not all 1 Bed + Den?

Do families want to live in condos? All the people I know who start families move to Milton or Pickering/Ajax or Vaughn. Then they buy SUVs so they have something big enough for their baby and stroller. Except the super hip ones, they move to Leslieville. And its not because of the floor plans. Until we get as densified as NYC I don't think you're going to see families with young kids living in downtown condos. Just as you don't see single guys buying large homes in the suburbs.

Do families want to live in condos? All the people I know who start families move to Milton or Pickering/Ajax or Vaughn. Then they buy SUVs so they have something big enough for their baby and stroller. Except the super hip ones, they move to Leslieville. And its not because of the floor plans. Until we get as densified as NYC I don't think you're going to see families with young kids living in downtown condos. Just as you don't see single guys buying large homes in the suburbs.

Anecdotally, I live in a rental apartment building near Bay & Bloor and there are about a dozen kids who live in the building, about half of which either moved or were born in the past 4 months. I see more and more strollers in the neighborhood. It's slow but the young population here is growing downtown.

Well, seeing as this is Toronto Community Housing and all, I figure the City would be putting families in, yes. Also, there will be a school and a library w/in a 2min walk from this TCHC Bldg, so again, I figure there would be families placed in this Community Housing project.

So, does anyone know what the units are like? Any floorplans floating around?

Yes, families want to live in condos. No, not everyone wants to move to the suburbs. If you work downtown you don't necessarily want to commute from the burbs. A lot of people can walk to work downtown because their work is near by. That's not always so easy way out in a Vaughan subdivision.

The trouble is that there is a belief that condos are only for singles or childless couples. Inevitably, this leads to a community that is one generation deep. Developers don't want to build three bedroom units because they take longer to sell, or such suites have to be built in order to sell. Developers want to build the units that will sell quickly, put the building up, and then walk away with their profits. They don't care about ensuring either a population diversity or a diversity of housing for the downtown. The same is true in the suburbs where you can still find people who think that multi-unit dwellings are not right for the suburbs. Since TCHC is about housing and not marketing condo units, they will build apartment suites for families.

Back