Toronto Ontario Court of Justice Toronto | 95.7m | 17s | Infrastructure ON | Renzo Piano

View of where it'll fit in, from Sunday:

IMG_3517.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3517.jpg
    IMG_3517.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 1,100
A courthouse by Renzo Piano would be considered gravy and downtown-elitist. He may not cancel the courthouse outright but could he cancel this design...?

(By the way, with Premier Ford, we can kiss the greenbelt goodbye. Back on topic.)

It's even more depressing to realize he'd do both these things purely to signal to his supporters that he's a wrecking ball. Sadly Wynne has been so disastrous and spendthrift, outright bribing the electorate in recent months, its almost inevitable that Doug will win.

It's even more depressing to realize he'd do both these things purely to signal to his supporters that he's a wrecking ball. Sadly Wynne has been so disastrous and spendthrift, outright bribing the electorate in recent months, its almost inevitable that Doug will win.
It's not inevitable that Doug will win and I would not say Wynne has been 'disastrous" - a case can certainly be made for investing in our future. If you don't want to return to the 19th century you had better get busy and work for the election of either Liberals or NDP (depending on who is most likely to win in your riding.)

...I would not say Wynne has been 'disastrous" - a case can certainly be made for investing in our future. If you don't want to return to the 19th century you had better get busy...

Hmmm, Liberals have been doing a lot of investing in our future, Ontario has the highest sub-sovereign debt in the world. And the Liberals have been going into overdrive investing in our future immediately prior to the election. Let me, for a change, invest in my own future all by myself. There is little risk of us returning to the 1800s since every resident of Ontario has guaranteed access to housing, heat, water, free education, OHIP, the rule of law, internet access in libraries, welfare. In other words sufficient for anyone to make a go of it. I'm sure 95% of the planet would agree. Id like Wynne to spend less of my future income investing in my future.

Apparently a geothermal energy project for both the 361 University Ave. Courthouse and the Osgoode Hall Courthouse (http://www.mat4site.com/2017/01/26/big-news/)

Generally, I'd think this is a great idea. But installing more underground utilities there may not be the best idea given it's proximity to the future DRL terminus station.

From City Hall at Doors Open.

IMG_8709.JPG
IMG_8708.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8709.JPG
    IMG_8709.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_8708.JPG
    IMG_8708.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 629
Model, elevation and ground floor context, along with a more detailed description of the building on the RPBW site:

http://www.rpbw.com/project/new-toronto-courthouse

And there is info on the exterior material - from the same site:

This volume floats above the highly glazed lower levels but retains an image of lightness due to the facade design composed of layers of glass and embossed metallic back pans

AoD

The Palais de Justice in Paris will likely be a very good indicator of materials and styling. Was just in Paris and what I loved most was the lighting at night, hopefully the same will be applied here.

The Palais de Justice in Paris will likely be a very good indicator of materials and styling. Was just in Paris and what I loved most was the lighting at night, hopefully the same will be applied here.
That’s unlikely given our propensity to cheap out on finish quality and the public realm.

That’s unlikely given our propensity to cheap out on finish quality and the public realm.
Potentially. But it's also Renzo Piano who has a very critical eye to details - I'm unsure he, nor his group, would want to work on a project where they can't control the final products quality.

Back