Toronto Ontario Court of Justice Toronto | 95.7m | 17s | Infrastructure ON | Renzo Piano

New docs posted June 12: http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...3850943&isCofASearch=false&isTlabSearch=false

Also, some renders I haven't seen before:
upload_2018-7-3_18-2-52.png

upload_2018-7-3_18-4-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-3_18-2-52.png
    upload_2018-7-3_18-2-52.png
    2 MB · Views: 1,265
  • upload_2018-7-3_18-4-31.png
    upload_2018-7-3_18-4-31.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,761
And there are some elevations done in trademark RPBW style (along with the super-detailed plans) - from Architectural Plans:

upload_2018-7-3_20-52-52.png

(MAG/RPBW/NORR)

And potential heritage interpretation for the old BME church:

upload_2018-7-3_20-55-52.png

(MAG/RPBW/NORR)

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-3_20-52-52.png
    upload_2018-7-3_20-52-52.png
    583.1 KB · Views: 1,364
  • upload_2018-7-3_20-55-52.png
    upload_2018-7-3_20-55-52.png
    308.7 KB · Views: 1,100
Looks like maybe an etching in the glass? Interesting take on preserving a facade while maintaining the look of the building.

Another missed opportunity. You'd think that in employing one of the world's most renowned architects, Infrastructure Ontario would go the distance in creating a set piece for such a visible site. The massing does nothing to complement the curves of City Hall. It is a box, another stupid box and though Piano does well with this type of massing eg. Paris Courthouse this is bottom of the barrel for the quality work this storied firm creates. When will it end Toronto?
http://www.rpbw.com/all-projects

Last edited:
Another missed opportunity. You'd think that in employing one of the world's most renowned architects, Infrastructure Ontario would go the distance in creating a set piece for such a visible site. The massing does nothing to complement the curves of City Hall. It is a box, another stupid box and though Piano does well with this type of massing eg. Paris Courthouse this is bottom of the barrel for the quality work this storied firm creates. When will it end Toronto?

The Paris Courthouse is also a box (a stacked slab, to be exact) - and this is a government P3 project for a provincial (not even provincial superior) court - I'd count my lucky stars we are getting Piano with a decent amount of details. I am not sure how one can determine this is "bottom of the barrel" for this firm based on the information available.

AoD

ya gotta admit that this doesn't really excite me at all. Not a fan of the scale. Maybe the glass will be really nice and I'll come around. I don't hate it.

The Paris Courthouse is also a box (a stacked slab, to be exact) - and this is a government P3 project - I'd count my lucky stars we are getting Piano with a decent amount of details. I am not sure how one can determine this is "bottom of the barrel" for this firm based on the information available.

AoD
I have cited the Paris Courthouse as an example of what RPBW is capable of. But the question remains if you are not going to go the distance then why bother employing him at all?

Then why bother employing him?

Because it is the P3 consortium that RPBW is part of that has been selected - and it isn't likely selected simply because said firm alone. Also, it is moot to compare this project to the Paris Palais de Justice without taking into account the differences in scale.

AoD

Last edited:
P3 consortiums put up iconic public buildings all over the world. If there is an opportunity to do so in Toronto this is it. Infrastructure Ontario is not going the distance with a firm that is more than capable of creating a form that draws the eye, better complements city hall, further enhances the sense of place as one of Toronto's crossroads and gathering places and lends gravitas to the important public functions contained therein. Though I don't hate the building, again in my opinion this is a missed opportunity.

P3 consortiums put up iconic public buildings all over the world. If there is an opportunity to do so in Toronto this is it. Infrastructure Ontario is not going the distance with a firm that is more than capable of creating a form that draws the eye, better complements city hall, further enhances the sense of place as one of Toronto's crossroads and gathering places and lends gravitas to the important public functions contained therein. Though I don't hate the building, again in my opinion this is a missed opportunity.

Of course they do, if they have an explicit mandate and budget for iconic buildings. IO isn't one of these orgs - and considering their courthouse output, we are lucky to get what we will be getting (vs. say, Brampton courthouse)

And there is also an argument to be made - if you aren't in the market to build an icon, stay out of the way from the one that already exist (i.e. City Hall).

AoD

Last edited:
From a distance it's not my favourite building but I love the street-level. Very happy to take this over what our normal courthouses look like.

If the city of Toronto is capable of creating an iconic city hall at one of its crossroads then the province is more than capable on this one occasion of affording to think outside of the box for what will debatably be one of the most visible provincial structures for anyone visiting Ontario. Your justifications that Toronto shouldn't expect anything more is thin gruel to those of us that love great cohesive design and architecture. It is not a complete failure but still is a missed opportunity.

Last edited:
I'm not excited about this one either, and am only hoping, now, that this will be a fine background building, as I am concerned that the courthouse not try to compete with City Hall. This is a site where I want surrounding buildings to complement what's there and enhance City Hall's primacy in this setting. That doesn't mean that I want a substandard courthouse, but at the same time I want one that doesn't scream "look at me". I hope the details make this a handsome building, but not an icon.

Piano usually hits the right notes if he is given the chance. Subtle curved form and sense of place (either bold or complementary) is one thing they are good at.

Back