191     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 573     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
^Indeed. I met Peter from Studio Junction, interior architect for the owners (they also bought the building, previously inhabited by Urbanscape/an art gallery. Urbanscape, ironically enough given their name, moved closer to their clients--401 and Dufferin area I believe.)

16th December night visit:

dsc01927un.jpg

The rocking sheep is so cute!

As a birthday present to me, hot Scandinavian and Japanese design store Mjolk opened today in the Junction. (I'll check it out tomorrow though.)

Good place to buy gifts for this design snob....:)

I stopped by for a visit last week. A beautiful space (love that curved wall made of off-cuts!) and a well-curated selection. I wish I could afford any of it. (They did have free opening-weekend shortbreads, which was nice.) Between Mjolk and Smash, across the street, the Junction will soon be a destination for the design-minded.

Also noticed while in the area: used book/music store Pandemonium have renovated and are open again. The ceilings are a few feet higher than they used to be; the space looks great, much less cluttered. And they're having a sale right now. ;)

Yeah, I ate one of those cookies as well--a nice touch. They have a Made in Finland wooden toy tractor I could afford--$8. (Great gift if I ever have any nephews.)

East of Keele St is picking up as well--pioneer CHoG finally has company with (barf) 2-4-1 pizza, Tails and Scales pet store, Green Lavender Yoga Spa (lotsa cute girls there all the time:)) and a Volkswagen part place along with that tv studio. Other than CHoG, that Mexican food place Sebastien's has amazingly good food--if you can get past the slightly abandoned look of the place.

McNally Robinson closes Don Mills store

The Toronto Star - 12/29/2009 - VIT WAGNER

McNally Robinson Booksellers has closed its Don Mills store as part of a larger bankruptcy restructuring.

The independent, Winnipeg- based bookseller, which launched its Shops at Don Mills mall outlet in April, will also shutter one of its two Winnipeg outlets. A second Winnipeg store and another in Saskatoon will remain open.

A total of 175 jobs will be lost in the move, according to a company release, while 250 others will be spared.

The Don Mills outlet, measuring 20,000 square feet, included an 80-seat restaurant and, like other McNally Robinson locations, served a focal point for daily readings, book signings and other literary events.

"It is heartbreaking to see so many hardworking booksellers and restaurant staff lose their jobs," said Paul McNally, who co-founded the company in 1981. "We are very hopeful, however, that we can save many more jobs and renew the company."

A McNally Robinson location in Calgary closed in 2008 after six years in operation.

The Toronto Star - 12/29/2009 - VIT WAGNER

McNally Robinson Booksellers has closed its Don Mills store as part of a larger bankruptcy restructuring.

The independent, Winnipeg- based bookseller, which launched its Shops at Don Mills mall outlet in April, will also shutter one of its two Winnipeg outlets. A second Winnipeg store and another in Saskatoon will remain open.

A total of 175 jobs will be lost in the move, according to a company release, while 250 others will be spared.

The Don Mills outlet, measuring 20,000 square feet, included an 80-seat restaurant and, like other McNally Robinson locations, served a focal point for daily readings, book signings and other literary events.

"It is heartbreaking to see so many hardworking booksellers and restaurant staff lose their jobs," said Paul McNally, who co-founded the company in 1981. "We are very hopeful, however, that we can save many more jobs and renew the company."

A McNally Robinson location in Calgary closed in 2008 after six years in operation.

Very sad. I wasn't enthralled with the Don Mills store, but I did like the idea of more competition in the bookselling business. And it was nice to have a good bookstore at that mall.

Mark's Work Warehouse has installed a clothing vending machine at the Union Station Bus Terminal. I'm not sure what to say about that!

So has anyone been to Bramalea City Centre recently? It's almost January, and Vanbots' website says the expansion is to be completed January 2010, whereas BCC's site just says 2010. Anyone know how close they are to being finished? They getting any decent stores? Are there any Bramptonites/Bramptonians on UT who can answer my question?

I lived in Bramalea from 1973 until I escaped to freedom in downtown Toronto in the summer of 1974. I had a student summer job, briefly, in the City Centre. I think the last time I was there was in 1980.

Give my regards to Homer Square.

Mark's Work Warehouse has installed a clothing vending machine at the Union Station Bus Terminal. I'm not sure what to say about that!

Are you serious? That's awesome. I am fully making a trip down there to view that this week.

Can't you just envision some dude who has misplaced his pants through a series of wacky calamities running up to that with a shout of extreme relief?

Are there enough of those to require a vending machine though?

Goodfoot at Bay & Bloor has closed. The Richmond Street store is still open.

Last edited:
Hume: Bookstore's vibe didn't fit suburb

Published On Thu Dec 31 2009
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/744435--hume-bookstore-s-vibe-didn-t-fit-suburb

If it wasn't the wrong place, it was definitely the wrong time.

Though many were clearly taken with the idea of an independent bookstore opening at "Ontario's first outdoor lifestyle centre," it was not to be.

This week's closure of the McNally Robinson store just seven months after it opened at Don Mills and Lawrence is a reminder that you can keep context out of a mall, but you can't keep a mall out of its context.

Even in the best of times and locations, bookstores have a hard go of it; the list of casualties was long even before this week's bad news. In addition to McNally Robinson, there was Pages Books, David Mirvish Books, and who could forget the venerable Britnell's on Yonge, just north of Bloor. It closed a decade ago, its former premises now occupied by Starbucks.

Though McNally Robinson was little known in these parts, the Winnipeg-based outfit created one of those ideal bookstores that everyone swears they'd love to have down the road. Authors gave readings and signed books, while the in-house café served espressos and latte. It was the epitome of laid-back urban sophistication.

The only problem was that Don Mills and Lawrence isn't that sort of neighbourhood. It has an aging population that from the start was dead-set against the idea of tearing down the old 1960s mall and replacing it with a newfangled retail configuration that emphasized "experience" over convenience.

Narrow shop-lined streets organized around a skating rink were assumed to be preferable to the generic spaces of the traditional covered mall. Instead, it turned out that all those pioneering suburbanites remain committed to the original (though now much altered) vision of Canada's first planned community. They weren't embarrassed to admit they much preferred the older mall, even if it was an enormous shop-filled box. It wasn't much to look at, but it was warm in winter and cool in summer. At the same time, it was familiar, part of the routine.

In fact, Don Mills Centre has been in trouble since 1970, when Fairview Mall opened nearby. It lurched along for a couple of decades until a new scheme started to take shape several years ago.

The thinking behind it accepted that this is an area in transition, that what had been planned and built as a suburb was fast becoming more urban. True, public transit around the area still isn't terrific, but densities are much greater than first conceived and are about to get much greater as more condos pop up.

Maybe in a decade or so the neighbourhood will be able to support a McNally Robinson, but other factors such as the Internet and large chains are also at play. At the same time, the retail landscape of suburbia now includes power centres, big-box outlets, regional malls, the whole panoply of the park-'n'-shop lifestyle.

Perhaps the very notion of the "lifestyle centre" is irrelevant in a society long accustomed to the banality that accompanies convenience. The parking lots, line-ups, food courts and highways on which they depend have grown as invisible as they are inevitable.

Perhaps a project such as Don Mills smacks a bit too much of gentrification to please suburban sensibilities. Urban planners talk endlessly about revitalizing neighbourhoods with cafés, farmers' markets, pedestrian walkways and the like, but many Torontonians would rather drive, thank you very much.

In time they will be thrilled to be able to shop at the corner store. When that day arrives, "lifestyle centres" will be a thing of the past, and so will their cars.

Perhaps it's been posted, but Urban Planet has vacated the former Caban space on Queen West. It appears to have been rented already as a work permit has been posted for interior renos.

"Failed lifestyle centres" will be to the 2010s what "failed festival marketplaces" were to the 1980s?

I tend to disagree with your lifestyle centre comment. I think Shops at Don Mills is a really well executed project and technically "should" work. The issue it faces is that they failed to attract any unique retailers. If they had secured Crate and Barrel (and Yorkdale didn't) or Tiffany or another concept that will only have presence in one or two centres in the GTA there would be a reason to shop it. Aside from the McEwan there are few offerings there that will draw people away from Yorkdale, Bloor St or even Fairview. In the US, where lifestyle centres are fairly mature (even in cold climates) they typically have multiple home furnishings anchors such as Crate, Pottery Barn, Z Gallerie and large hot restaurants (I think Shops at Don Mills delivered on this) such as PF Changs, Mortons, Cheesecake. Then, they typically have a following of concepts that are unique to the lifestyle format or unique to the market, such as Anthropology, Whole Foods, etc.

Back