2.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
AFAIK, a few years ago they decided to more or less give up the storefront retail scene to Office/Business Depot and concentrate on direct sales to businesses instead.

Makes sense: I still see a lot of G&T delivery trucks around town...

Noticed this week that the Drake Hotel is opening a store in Rosedale in Shop Nyla's former location (it moved across the street).

Very stylish looking storefront

hugo.jpg

CB2 opening in West Queen West

http://www.eyeweekly.com/article/78980

I headed down to the big purple building yesterday afternoon to chat with Big Bop manager Dominic Tassielli. He confirmed the unfortunate news, saying, “We sold the building three years ago, and I just kept leasing from the new owner. Now he has a tenant coming here, a big furniture store from the States.†Some speculate that this will be a Crate & Barrel subsidiary CB2, but all Tassielli says is that “this building is going to look like a landmark because the owner has to put about $3 million into it.†At least it’s a historical building, so no one can knock it down to make way for a condo tower.

The arrival of CB2 in West Queen West will spike the rents.

I don't think it was just CB2 that spiked the rents.

More than likely the RioCan tribute building, the Starbucks in the grubby old Mr Sub, costly renovation of the Burroughes Building and very expensive re-building of the Duke's row that raised the rents.

Yay CB2!! I love this store and while it's sad to see the Big Bop go, I'll be happy to wander down to CB2 all the time.

Where do people consider the dividing line between Queen West and West Queen West to be? Spadina? Bathurst? Another street?

At one point I would definitely have considered the Big Bop to be in West Queen West, but that definition has drifted further west in my mind as Queen has gentrified. Now the corner of Queen and Bathurst, especially the east side of it, does not strike me as far west enough to qualify for the term West Queen West.

Unless of course, it's East West Queen West (or West Queen West East - your pick).

The Art & Design District runs from Bathurst to Gladtsone. So that's West Queen West. The Big Bop just happens to be on the east side of Bathurst, so it just misses be in the hood.

1 1/2 storey windows are going up on the Bloor St. side of the new Longo's at Bloor & Park Rd. Looks great so far and goes along way to animating the streetscape here. Hopefully we'll see something similar farther west to de-fortify the Hudson Bay Centre.

As a birthday present to me, hot Scandinavian and Japanese design store Mjolk opened today in the Junction. (I'll check it out tomorrow though.)

Good place to buy gifts for this design snob....:)

This is great news for the Junction. The momentum along this strip is really amazing to watch.

Back