707     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 763     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Not the kind of retail we normally follow, but…

All Goodwill stores have been closed "permanently" as of today. That's 16 GTA locations, and another 10 elsewhere in the province. A cash flow crisis is to blame apparently, with 430 employees out of work.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2741028

That sucks.

According to what I heard on Metro Morning earlier, it's not all the Goodwill stores in Ontario. Just the Toronto chapter (which apparently extends as far north as Barrie and east as Brockville). Chapters in places like Hamilton, Niagara, Ottawa, etc. are apparently doing fine.

ETA: Apparently the Ottawa chapter folded last year for similar reasons. AoD's point above is well taken. (Hamilton and Niagara still seem to be plugging along)

Last edited:
One can't help but think how much more efficient they can be if they merge with say Value Village. That, or basically roll all the different charity clothing collection business into one giant org and divvy out the funds. It makes no sense to have 10 charity chasing after the same pool and each incurring an additional overhead for doing that - and even more if they operate retail.

Additional info from the Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ario-due-to-cash-flow-crisis/article28235581/

Their overhead might also be larger due to the unionized working environment.

AoD

Last edited:
According to signage in the Thomson Building Concourse (which is thankfully undergoing its own update), the TD branch is closed for renovations.

Well, if I'd been on the South side of Queen and had read the small print I'd have known. Still, I got to walk to the office thinking of the cool restaurant that could go in there...

So it looks like...Urban Planet...is moving into the former Buffalo space at 225 Yonge in the Ryrie Building. Employment advertisements have been posted on windows on both Queen and Shuter Streets.

Only a rumor discussion, so I didn't create a new thread. But a local store manager suggested that the vacant City owned site at 411 Victoria Park's retail tenant was rumored to be Walmart.

I had heard different.

But I went back and checked out the latest site plan approval, it's for a 90,000 sq ft store, which is a relatively unique size in line with Walmart's 'urban format' configuration.

It would also explain why Walmart didn't go after the vacant Zellers at Shopper's World and Lowe's scooped it up instead.

I'm not familiar w/this variation of Walmart, but I'm assuming it wouldn't sell grocery? Also widely rumored is a 10,000 sq foot expansion of the Freshco in the adjacent plaza, w/work likely to start by early summer.

Back