522     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 719     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Walmart wouldn't open a new store with out selling grocery. They are currently working on converting all existing stores to sell grocery.

90,000 sq. ft. sounds about right for a Walmart these days. They seem to be moving away from the 140,000 sq. ft. monstrosities they used to build.

I'm not familiar w/this variation of Walmart, but I'm assuming it wouldn't sell grocery? Also widely rumored is a 10,000 sq foot expansion of the Freshco in the adjacent plaza, w/work likely to start by early summer.
The two Walmart urban format stores in the GTA (Keele/Finch and Eglinton/Markham) both have full grocery departments. You can pretty much get anything you'd get at a Walmart Supercentre.

So it looks like...Urban Planet...is moving into the former Buffalo space at 225 Yonge in the Ryrie Building. Employment advertisements have been posted on windows on both Queen and Shuter Streets.
And it's already open! It feels very temporary. They didn't do anything with the space.

Not quite non-mall, but right across from one, a big box story for you:

Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH announces two new store locations in Canada
Saks OFF 5TH unveils plans for Toronto and Edmonton

TORONTO, May 10, 2016 /CNW/ - Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH is pleased to announce plans to open two new Canadian locations; on the Queensway across from Sherway Gardens in Toronto, ON, and at South Edmonton Commons in Edmonton, AB. The stores mark the 12th and 13th Saks OFF 5TH locations announced to open in Canada, which launched in the market in March, 2016 with its first four stores in Ontario.

"Canada is the first market where Saks OFF 5TH has opened outside of the United States, effectively launching our global strategy," commented Jonathan Greller, President, Saks OFF 5TH and Gilt. "We have seen strong performance in the market already and, given our commitment to the country and aggressive expansion plans, we are incredibly excited for these additional 2016 stores. Canadian shoppers have shown us they are thrilled to finally have the Saks OFF 5TH experience accessible to them in Canada."

Queensway, Toronto, ON

Saks OFF 5TH will make its debut at 1950 The Queensway at the West Mall in Toronto in September 2016. Located approximately 20 minutes from the downtown core, the new 27,000 square foot store will provide downtown shoppers with a convenient location to discover the true thrill-of-the-hunt Saks OFF 5TH experience. 1950 The Queensway is owned and operated by Fima Developments.​

I don't know if this has been posted yet but Gears, the cycling shop in the West Don Lands, has now opened. I think that it is the first business to open in our newest neighbourhood.

Back