665     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 752     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
I really love Farm Boy (although it's a real stretch to call it "Canada’s answer to Trader Joe’s", as the Star does here). It's very unfortunate that they aim solely for suburban areas. All their Ottawa stores are in the suburbs.

Farm Boy grocery opening draws Whitby crowd
When Farm Boy opened in Whitby last week, shoppers descended on the Ottawa-based "fresh market" retailer to see what the fuss was about.
Published on Wed Sep 02 2015, Toronto Star

"This is Farm Boy’s 18th store, with a Kitchener branch opening next. The chain is scouting Toronto for 10,000 to 15,000 square feet and lots of surface parking."

I really love Farm Boy (although it's a real stretch to call it "Canada’s answer to Trader Joe’s", as the Star does here). It's very unfortunate that they aim solely for suburban areas. All their Ottawa stores are in the suburbs.

Farm Boy grocery opening draws Whitby crowd
When Farm Boy opened in Whitby last week, shoppers descended on the Ottawa-based "fresh market" retailer to see what the fuss was about.
Published on Wed Sep 02 2015, Toronto Star

"This is Farm Boy’s 18th store, with a Kitchener branch opening next. The chain is scouting Toronto for 10,000 to 15,000 square feet and lots of surface parking."

To me, Farm Boy is basically Ottawa's Longo's. I've visited a few times (husband's family lives there) and that was the vibe I got.

Maybe. I've only ever been to the Laird and Maple Leaf Square Longos stores. The smaller Longos in the 905, with the focus on fruit, vegetables, meats and prepared foods, might be more like Farm Boy than the supermarkets they have down here. But I've never been (to the 905 Longos), so can't say. Interesting comparison, though, and one I hadn't thought of.

32,000 square foot craft mega store opens in Toronto

http://www.blogto.com/announcements/2015/10/32000_square_foot_craft_mega_store_opens_in_toronto/

The Entertainment District may seem like a strange spot for a giant DIY-type store. But the Michaels at Richmond and John is the American craft chain's biggest store in Canada. Spread over three floors, this massive outpost has everything you need to start tackling Pinterest projects as well as a large custom framing department and fine art supplies.

Anyone know what's happening with Country Style? I noted 3 stores closed last week (the one at Yonge and Steeles is becoming a Starbucks). Are they officially kaput?

Sounds like Shinola is replacing Stussy and Sam James in the building at 1000 Queen W. Cool, but I hope Stussy relocates.

I hope SJCB relocates too.

(pic courtesy of BlogTO)

Attachments

• 20151127-sjcb.jpg
    20151127-sjcb.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 262
It seems that Nike is moving in at 306 Yonge St, directly across from Adidas. Apologies for the blurry picture, but the construction order seemed to indicate a start date on November 24th with completion for February 5, 2016.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 504
Could that be the new Jordan store?

That makes sense. They already have their running store inside the Eaton Centre and the general Nike store they had on Bloor closed down. This is especially true given that they announced plans to open up a Jordan store.

Back