Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

Given what a mixed-income area it is, I'd say it remains quite inclusive, actually! :)

which is what makes the SML area so great.
i wish i still had a condo there, but the builder (Aspen Ridge) and unit (Vu condo) were headaches to deal with.

Thanks for taking shots of the actual DETAILS of the building... the canopy, signage, cladding going up on the rounded portion, etc. Made for a great update for those of us who aren't down in the market area very often! :)

thank you!

It bothers me that the Shopper's Drug Mart has no pedestrian-level signage. It makes the sidewalk along Jarvis seem very empty. People walking north would actually have no idea there's retail there until they're standing right in front of it.

What a delightfully sculptural - and coherent - array of curves, angles, ribbons, slabs and materials this building is. Much going on, but everything's under control and working together rather than flying apart. The curved feature on the roof is a summary of the ribbon effect of the balconies, much as Casa's flat hat is a summary of the stacked balconies below, and the design of Ice's roof elements will be a summary of the podium.

^^ No, because the panels have shattered over and over again countless times, outside of the falling glass, and falling glass wouldn't fall directly down and certainly not close enough to the building that it would hit the canopy.

Indeed, there were cracked, shattered and missing glass overhang panels well before the balcony glass mishaps began. Hopefully lessons learned and applied here & elsewhere.

30 more Units! (Presumably small ones!)

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1N1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 135922 BLD 01 NB Accepted Date: Apr 27, 2012

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: Revision to suite layout on various floors (see attached letter) with the addition of 31 residential suites (from 329 to 360).

Recent by-law amendment for 18 Lower Jarvis

30 more Units! (Presumably small ones!)

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1N1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 135922 BLD 01 NB Accepted Date: Apr 27, 2012

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: Revision to suite layout on various floors (see attached letter) with the addition of 31 residential suites (from 329 to 360).

Is this the ByLaw amendment you are referring to? It's the most recent one I can find.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2011/law0154.pdf

If the one you found is newer, please post a link to it. Thanks.

What a delightfully sculptural - and coherent - array of curves, angles, ribbons, slabs and materials this building is. Much going on, but everything's under control and working together rather than flying apart. The curved feature on the roof is a summary of the ribbon effect of the balconies, much as Casa's flat hat is a summary of the stacked balconies below, and the design of Ice's roof elements will be a summary of the podium.

Wow. Was there ever a better definition of a fan boy. I picking up from your comments that you like the the building, the architect, and the wine you are drinking?

Wow. Was there ever a better definition of a fan boy. I picking up from your comments that you like the the building, the architect, and the wine you are drinking?
Care to justify this snobby response?

I guess you don't know what a fan boy is. There are many buildings he likes and dislikes, and he can articulate what he likes about them. Did the Coke and Kraft Dinner you had for dinner leave you in a bad mood?

I'm not usually a fan of Urban Shocker's posts, but I thought his takes on the roof treatments of those mentioned projects is very interesting. Why this hostile response, Granny?

This post by Granny is exactly the type of unnecessary, inflammatory post that should be removed by mods the moment they see it.

Last edited:
It is difficult to determine sometimes what side of the line to consider a post on, but we prefer to remove (and censor) only when things are clearly over the line. Over-enforcement of the rules could turn the forum into a Mod state, and we'd rather that it be your forum, within the bounds of reason of course!

In this particular case, that's not Granny's most courteous post ever, but he doesn't have a history of trolling, and besides, Urban Shocker is a big boy with a quick quip always at the ready, and can handily defend himself!

But I think in this case, Urban Shocker said nothing trolling-like or offensive whatsoever. He just spoke about aA's designs, and out of nowhere, Granny attacked him for it. I think unprovoked attacks like that are the worst. I'll be quiet now, but then again, I'm much happier these days since I discovered the "Ignore" button.

Back