Mississauga Chicago Condos | ?m | 36s | Daniels | Kirkor

If architecture is frozen music, this is "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" or "You're The Inspiration"

"Chicago architecture is famous throughout the world and one style is referred to as the Chicago School. The style is also known as Commercial style. In the history of architecture, the Chicago School was a school of architects active in Chicago at the turn of the 20th century."

- Wikipedia

That reference to "Chicago School" might be quite appropriate for this building, since it looks like it was actually designed (lol) at the turn of the 20th century. But architects of that school, if they were alive today, would point out that this could only be the dunce of their group, since the detailing doesn't quite make it into the first-rank, or second, or … you get the picture.

btw, Chicago is now home to what is called the “Third Chicago School" of architecture. I’ve chosen a podium-style sample from this Third Chicago School - Jeanne Gang’s Aqua (in Chicago) - and compared it directly to Chicago (in Mississauga):

Arkinetia_Torre_Aqua_-_Chicago_Studio_Gang_Architects_qqqNOT20060508_01.jpg
Building03.jpg

Aqua (first two images on the left) vs. Chicago

It's only "inspired" by the Chicago School with its tripartite design (well-defined top, shaft and base, like a classical column). Though I think I see Chicago windows on the building, the similarities to the Chicago School skyscrapers end there.

It's only "inspired" by the Chicago School with its tripartite design (well-defined top, shaft and base, like a classical column). Though I think I see Chicago windows on the building, the similarities to the Chicago School skyscrapers end there.

I'm not sure about that tripartite design, base-shaft-top, is a valid Chicago School trait. But tripartite windows - stationary larger pane in the middle bay, with two additional bays, one on each side of the stationary, composed of windows that can be opened for ventilation - would draw no disagreement from me. If you think you see "Chicago (Skyscraper) Windows," you have better vision than I have. And as you said, after that "... the similarities to ... Chicago School skyscrapers end ..."

Let's face it, this building probably never was "inspired" by anything "Chicago," least of all that city's rich architectural tradition. So I would give them even less credit than you have. The name is used to market this vapid building, and as another post stated, it could be called "Atlanta", or for that matter, "Ottawa" or "Churchill". No rich architectural tradition in the latter places, comparable to Chicago, but just about as valid a name change as the one being assumed now.

I'm not sure about that tripartite design, base-shaft-top ,is a valid Chicago School trait.

It's in the third paragraph of the Wiki article you referenced: "Many Chicago School skyscrapers contain the three parts of a classical column. The first floor functions as the base, the middle stories, usually with little ornamental detail, act as the shaft of the column, and the last floor or so represent the capital, with more ornamental detail and capped with a cornice."

It's in the third paragraph of the Wiki article you referenced: "Many Chicago School skyscrapers contain the three parts of a classical column. The first floor functions as the base, the middle stories, usually with little ornamental detail, act as the shaft of the column, and the last floor or so represent the capital, with more ornamental detail and capped with a cornice."

I was aware of the rest of the wikipedia entry - so you'll have to accept that I am not depending on that entry as the last word on tripartite buildings as an identifier of a Chicago School building.

For anyone interested, there is a larger and more complex explanation for the Chicago School - it begins with Carl Condit in the 1960s, objected to by H. Allen Brooks, and has a long list of twists-and-turns that carry through to today. While it is true that Louis Sullivan's "The Tall Office Building Artistically Considered," written in 1896, is often cited as the source for the assertion that tripartite design is a signpost for the first Chicago School, what it fits best is his work more than it fits the width and breath of the first Chicago School.

The counter-explanation, as far as I can reduce it, is that the Chicago School was not monolithic, but rather the result of a convergence of technology (perfection of the lifts, steel framing etc), opportunity (the Great Chicago Fire destroying older buildings in the central business district, eventually jump starting a boom in new skyscrapers) and the demands of a no-nonsense business clientele (build well but build efficiently). Some adopted the tripartite design, some experimented with less stylized bases, tops, and ornamentation, in varying degrees, all taking place in a charged environment that unfolded dramatically there on the shores of Lake Michigan. This research reaches below the stars of that day - Sullivan, Root, Atwater etc, - and looks into a larger pool of extant skyscraper proposals to see if there is something beyond theory in the practice of the craft. Was the Chicago School a style or something broader? Something broader is what I get out of these studies.

If I were forced to compare Chicago in Mississauga, with some building from that era, it would be The Manhattan Building, still in Chicago's South Loop. The Manhattan Building is significant for what you cannot see: it was one of the first tall buildings to use steel frame construction. But on the design front, the Manhattan was and still is a mess. It happens to be a tripartite building that had poor detailing and uninspired transitions between segments - a textbook lesson in what not to do. If it were anywhere else in the city, rather that the historic tall-building district, it might not have survived past a hundred years as it has thus far - technical distinction could only carry it so far.

In my opinion, Chicago in Mississauga repeated that lesson in what not to do with a tripartite design, and it will pay a bitter dividend for it.

Yeah, "The Soul Of Chicago In The Heart Of Mississauga"...
chicago.jpg

...guess it must include a bit of Yacht Rock down in Port Credit

btw, Chicago is now home to what is called the “Third Chicago School" of architecture. I’ve chosen a podium-style sample from this Third Chicago School - Jeanne Gang’s Aqua (in Chicago) - and compared it directly to Chicago (in Mississauga):

Arkinetia_Torre_Aqua_-_Chicago_Studio_Gang_Architects_qqqNOT20060508_01.jpg

This building seems very similar to Absolute World...

Absolutely! ... Once in a Blue Moon

This building seems very similar to Absolute World...

I expected someone would mention this, I almost did myself based on appearance only.

But the Absolute World towers use rotated floor plates more like say the now approved Chicago Spire; the 82 storey Aqua, on the other hand, is more conventional on this score. Specifically, Aqua is a rectangular building, with a standard, unrotated, floor plate stack, that gets its exterior detailing from its balconies only. Nevetheless, the reason for the unusual detailing of the balconies is somehow typically Chicago, in that the form is derived from function: to provide both the appropriate sun screen to the interior living quarters, while maximizing perimeter viewing angles on a floor-by-floor basis. In a reverse direction, the Absolute World towers prove that function can also follow form, since residents there will have great views steming directly from Yansong Ma's brillant artistic ideas.

The more this discussion broadens, the more one becomes aggravated with Chicago in Mississauga. Obviously it is not a creative draw from whatever is "timeless and enduring" in the Chicago School - any of the Chicago Schools for that matter. Maybe we should just get into the mode of holding competitions for new skyscrapers as was done for Absolute World. That might build the momentum that fosters a Toronto School of architecture (which would include the environs, such as Mississauga), rather than continue the pattern of isolated gems that seem to come only once in a blue moon.

They'll be climbing the walls
SYDNIA YU

From Friday's Globe and Mail

August 31, 2007 at 12:00 AM EDT

At Daniels Corp.'s master-planned community in Mississauga, near Square One Shopping Centre, many of the high-rise condominiums host several fitness facilities, including pools and gyms.

But for its sixth instalment, called Chicago, a more challenging athletic component will be added in the 17,000 square foot amenities area, which will occupy the top floor of a six-storey podium at the base of a 33-storey tower.

"Chicago will be the only condominium in Mississauga to have an extreme sport climbing wall that soars to 30 feet," says vice-president Niall Haggart. "This is the condominium for active people."

The climbing wall will complement more traditional workout facilities, such as an indoor pool, yoga and stretch studio and a weight room, as well as games room with virtual reality sports. An indoor/outdoor hot tub will lead out onto a landscaped terrace with alfresco kitchens, barbecue stations and dining areas — plus seating around weatherproof televisions in some spots.

"Imagine someone watching soccer up there on a lovely summer evening," Mr. Haggart says. "It's going to be really great."

Furthermore, there will be a theatre, a party room and a lounge with billiards, cards area, kitchen and bar.

The 450-unit building, which will be unveiled in late September to early October, will be situated on the northeast corner of Confederation Parkway and Prince of Wales Drive.

A stone, bronze and glass archway by renowned artist Peter Powning will visually link Chicago to the completed towers at Capital Condominiums and One Park Tower.

While the previous towers feature ornate rooflines, Chicago will reflect principals from the Chicago School of Architecture, which was an innovative style prevalent in the late 19th century in Chicago.

"It's an homage to Louis Sullivan, the grandfather of the modern skyscraper," Mr. Haggart explains.

This translates into a stronger street presence with a brick façade for the podium and arched windows that emphasize the building's verticality.

Models will range from studios to two bedroom plus den suites that cater to various lifestyles, from the single parent that needs space for kids to professionals that frequently travel into town.

"[Mississauga] is home to the highest per cent of Fortune 500 companies, so there's a real need for a pied-à-terre," Mr. Haggart says. "Mississauga has more people coming into it than going out of it on a daily basis."

Standard finishes will include nine-foot ceilings and pre-engineered hardwood floors in the combined living and dining rooms, den and foyer. Each unit comes with parking. For assistance, there will be a 24-hour concierge in the lobby and a mobile resident services director.

Other ground level, amenities will include retail space and an outdoor courtyard.

The pedestrian-friendly community will also feature a three-acre park. The Living Arts Centre and Mississauga Library are steps away, as is transit and major highways.

Occupancy for Chicago is slated for spring of 2010.

SaxMan ads

Has anyone seen the recent ads for Chicago in all the print media? The ones with the guy playing the saxaphone on the 33rd floor, on a ledge with only five feet between him and certain death? Surely that can't be safe!

It strikes me as one of the funniest images I've seen in a long time, and it takes the artifice of the condo rendering to a new level of ridiculousness.

That reference to "Chicago School" might be quite appropriate for this building, since it looks like it was actually designed (lol) at the turn of the 20th century.

An amusing analysis, Zephyr. It's probably the best one can say about the supposed relationship between this building and the Chicago School. I doubt the developer has thought of it. But then, the names and the buildings are incidental, and rarely intentional.

Back