Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Getting there with the area - at least compared to a few years ago...

stitch.jpg

Depressing better describes it. Those shiny, unimaginative, silly named condos are an improvement.

Does anybody know the name of this building and what it is used for? Dont like the looks of it one bit. I think it needs to be torn down and made into something new.

DSC02308.jpg

You guys crack me up! I suspect the lot of you are architects and planners as opposed to financiers and developers. You naively think every inch of space can be magically transfered because condo demand is infinite. Specuvestors have stormed the fort and will shortly be dumping their boxes in an effort to cash out upon completion. Did you know that 10% of the condos sold in Toronto in 2007 were purchased by a single specuvestor syndicate? 10% BY ONE BUYER!

Streets beside fields of nothing... surreal. It looked like suburbia, right downtown.

The fact that the land was likely polluted and thus unsuitable for residential use for decades may be more than a light indication of why it sat baron for so long.

What an unflattering image of Toronto. For now I shall have to maintain my position that south of Front = No Man's Land. Imagine how much cooler the city would be if Toronto Harbour still reached all the way up to Union Station.

Then the raillands and Gardiner would probably cut right through where Queen Street is now.

But then that might not necessarily have been such a bad thing: if the railway went through a more established part of the city, they would likely have to be sure to integrate it better with the surrounding neighbourhoods. It could be in a covered trench, for example. On the waterfront, the railways were allowed to run wild and take up vast tracts of land.

You guys crack me up! I suspect the lot of you are architects and planners as opposed to financiers and developers. You naively think every inch of space can be magically transfered because condo demand is infinite. Specuvestors have stormed the fort and will shortly be dumping their boxes in an effort to cash out upon completion. Did you know that 10% of the condos sold in Toronto in 2007 were purchased by a single specuvestor syndicate? 10% BY ONE BUYER!

The first sentence: We provide amusement. Be greatful.

The second sentence: You suspect incorrectly.

The third sentence: Why would we think about transfering square inches? But as space is not infinite (or at least the surface space of downtown Toronto), condo development potential can't be infinite, could it? When it's gone, it's gone. At that point, available space becomes scarce.

The fourth sentence: Has this been happening already? What are the specuvestors waiting for?

The fifth and sixth sentence: So you know this as a fact? I bet you won't share the identity of that special investor, will you?

That's what I'm thinking. ( April, May, or June When concrete hits street level)

But when it does eventually reach ground level, it will take off like a rocket ship.

Back