News   Apr 30, 2024
 264     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 741     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.7K     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Forbid papers? Ridiculous idea. I can read what I want where I want, so slag off.

Stop allowing Metro and the other free rags from setting up boxes at TTC stations and you will solve 99% of the paper problem. People who have purchased a Star or Globe and Mail, who are already a small percentage of newspaper readers, are far less likely to leave it behind, in my experience.

Agreed. I know the feeling because sometimes I take a Metro just to do the sudoku or crossword puzzle. Afterwards, I feel guilty just throwing it away, so I've been tempted to just leave it. I think that it's a brand new paper (filled-in game aside) and that maybe someone else will want to read it and that assuages my guilt of throwing away a perfectly good paper. Then I look around at the 80 other discarded papers, regain my wits and take the paper and dispose of it properly when I get off.

I'd be OK with drinks (in disposable cups) and food being banned. I'll admit (today, for example), that I did have a sandwich en route to class. But for the greater good, I'd be happy to give up the rare occasion that I need to eat whilst on transit.

Also, it's worth noting that most of the T1s on the BD line are the oldest. There can be upwards of a six year difference between a T1 on the Bloor-Danforth line and one on the YUS line. Whether it's just age or that there are better maintenance practices at Wilson versus Greenwood, I can't say. But it is worth mentioning as a possible reason why there is now a noticeable difference between the older T1s and the newer ones that are slowly being transferred but are still predominantly found on the YUS line.

Better still **BAN all Food and Drinks including Paper on ALL TTC Vehicles 100%**

Littering is already banned on the TTC and people still do it. I can't see a ban on food and drinks being enforced - especially on the subway where there is no one to enforce it usually. Besides, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's found a cool drink to be a lifesaver when stuffed in a swealtering streetcar crawling through the city on a humid summer day.

If they had to take public input into consideration at this point, we would never receive the full order. Public input time is over and now we let the experts do some final tweaks. Barring any major issues at this point (which there shouldn't be any), there will be no significant changes.

Shouldn't software issues still be easy to fix? I'm sure that they could change the horrible computer generated voice to a real human voice at any time. Equally easy should be removing the fictitious 'Interchange Station' line from the announcements, as well as 'stand clear of the doors'. Once the Spadina extension is complete, the station announcements will have to be changed anyway. It shouldn't be much of a big deal to change things now.

I'd be happy with...

"The next stop is Bloor-Yonge Station. Bloor-Yonge Station. Transfer to eastbound and westbound Bloor-Danforth trains."

"The next stop is St. George Station. St. George Station. Transfer to northbound and southbound University-Spadina trains."

"The next stop is Sheppard-Yonge Station. Sheppard-Yonge Station. Transfer to eastbound Sheppard trains."

"The next stop is Union Station. Union Station. Transfer to GO Transit, VIA Rail, and Ontario Northland."

... You get the idea.

As was mentioned earlier,repeating the station name twice is not necessary when the announcements are clearly audible (as opposed to the old crackly sound we got when operators made announcements).

As was mentioned earlier,repeating the station name twice is not necessary when the announcements are clearly audible (as opposed to the old crackly sound we got when operators made announcements).

You have ACAT on side with that assessment?

and it's funny how when the doors are already halfway closed and it says please stand clear of doors. should of announced it first then close the doors. i remember the hong kong mtr the sequence goes like this: please stand back from the doors, beep sound, door closes. also, when arriving at a station, it would be better if the announcements can also mention which way the doors open, i kno they have it on the displays but still. for example: arriving at sheppard station, doors will open on the left/right...etc.

and it's funny how when the doors are already halfway closed and it says please stand clear of doors. should of announced it first then close the doors. i remember the hong kong mtr the sequence goes like this: please stand back from the doors, beep sound, door closes. also, when arriving at a station, it would be better if the announcements can also mention which way the doors open, i kno they have it on the displays but still. for example: arriving at sheppard station, doors will open on the left/right...etc.

Additional nitpick, now that I've finally ridden in one of the new cars: the announcement for Bloor-Yonge is "Next station: Interchange station, Bloor-Yonge". This is not especially helpful. Far more useful to those not familiar with the system would be "Next station: Bloor-Yonge. Transfer to the Bloor-Danforth subway line.". It's not like we have very many interchanges, I don't see why the announcement should be so generic.

I rode the 7th new train on the Tracks today (5471-5476)

I believe there are 8 in service so the latest train in revenue service is (5481-5486)

And another 3 have been built, so we can expect to see these trains more frequently in the next month (months)

I rode the 7th new train on the Tracks today (5471-5476)

I believe there are 8 in service so the latest train in revenue service is (5481-5486)

And another 3 have been built, so we can expect to see these trains more frequently in the next month (months)

The latest train in revenue service is the 547 set. There are eight sets in service - 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545 ,546 and 547. 8 is still testing.

Regardless, I rode 547 this morning as well. AA was kinda weird in that it thought Finch was Downsview. At North York Centre, it realized the station wasn't Wilson and stopped functioning until Lawrence station.

Additional nitpick, now that I've finally ridden in one of the new cars: the announcement for Bloor-Yonge is "Next station: Interchange station, Bloor-Yonge". This is not especially helpful. Far more useful to those not familiar with the system would be "Next station: Bloor-Yonge. Transfer to the Bloor-Danforth subway line.". It's not like we have very many interchanges, I don't see why the announcement should be so generic.

This is the way it is in Berlin. At every station that has a transfer to another S-Bahn or U-Bahn line, they announce all the lines that you can transfer to at that station. Makes a lot of sense personally.

Back