News   May 17, 2024
 161     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 454     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 832     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

The H6s are an exceptionally smooth and fast ride, quiet braking, the doors open and close quickly, and they have held up remarkably well (especially given the lower maintenance standards on the Bloor line versus YUS)

How do you figure this? There is a set schedule for preventative maintenance which both lines or in this case Carhouses have to follow. Its not like its decided randomly which cars will be worked on today.

The big difference between the 2 lines is the riders on YUS are more cleaner then the pigs which ride the BD line.

For many years I was struck by the fact that, for example, BD trains were slower to have "scratchitti-ed" windows replaced (although I've noticed things have gotten much better in that regard with the rollout of the plastic window covers). And yes, as even Steve Munro has pointed out, the maintenance standards seemed different, and the T1s on that line degraded much more quickly, at least on a visual basis as my understanding was that the wash track at Greenwood hadn't operated in years. Those trains just looked shabbier than YUS ones, although I'll give Greenwood credit for keeping the H4s going for so long. As for the litter, there was an item in the last TTC meeting that starting in 2012, trains will be swept at the terminus points during their runs which should have been done more than ten years ago when the Metros and 24s first started being distributed. I would say 99% of the problem with the newspapers are people leaving them behind due some strange sense of altruism. But what happens then is that, especially during rush hour, people remove them and place them on the ground and the mess grows.

its those damn 905ers messing up our trains (looking at you joeperez)

Exactly! ;)

But seriously, you know how many times I've cleaned up 3 or 4 seats when I get onto the subway? And Agram might be onto something, because most of the time that this happens it's when I get on at Keele!

For many years I was struck by the fact that, for example, BD trains were slower to have "scratchitti-ed" windows replaced (although I've noticed things have gotten much better in that regard with the rollout of the plastic window covers). And yes, as even Steve Munro has pointed out, the maintenance standards seemed different, and the T1s on that line degraded much more quickly, at least on a visual basis as my understanding was that the wash track at Greenwood hadn't operated in years. Those trains just looked shabbier than YUS ones, although I'll give Greenwood credit for keeping the H4s going for so long.

Last evening I rode a T1 unit which had recently been transferred from the YUS and didn't think anything of it until the train went out of service and we had to wait for the following train, at which time I boarded a T1 unit which has been operating on the BD for what seems like nearly a decade now. I immediately noticed how much darker the car was inside than the recently-arrived car, and a quick visual inspection of the light diffusers revealed a visibly thick layer of dark dust along the bottom (and probably all throughout the diffuser). This may not have been the entire cause of the darker lighting (maybe ballasts, old fluorescent tubes), but it certainly contributed to it on that car. T1s on the Bloor-Danforth generally seem darker inside (reminiscent of the H1s), is it due to the air flow from the ceiling vents (which also generally seem dirtier on the BD trains) blowing dust into the diffusers? H-6s on the other hand, seem much brighter inside, and the ceiling vents have a different configuration which probably doesn't blow dust into the lights. Regarding the exteriors, the BD T1 cars will clean up as they get washed regularly, I saw some which looked relatively clean, and some which were still quite filthy.

Was on a TR today and noticed the doors didn't have the same delay anymore, seemed like they opened just as fast as on the T1s after stopping. I guess the TTC/Bombardier have been working on this.

I think it's time to put a ban on food and drinks on the TTC...water excepted...but this is just unbelievable...rode a TR to Union today, and I see papers, juice bottles, food wraps everywhere! I mean come on, do people not know how a garbage can looks like? There's TONS of them in the station! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO MISS! and yet, people still throw them on the ground. I've heard many responses to this food and drinks ban proposal and they all say, "well, why don't you fine litterers?" yea ok, easy for y'all to say that, but who's gona take charge? There's CCTVs on the new trains and I am sure they are there for a reason. Whether be YUS line or BD line, whatever line, even bus and streetcar routes, they are all f***ing dirty! Man, it's sad taking the transit here, honest to God...I wish I was in Taiwan, the transit system there is unbelievably clean, affordable, and easy to use...

I think it's time to put a ban on food and drinks on the TTC...water excepted...but this is just unbelievable...rode a TR to Union today, and I see papers, juice bottles, food wraps everywhere! I mean come on, do people not know how a garbage can looks like? There's TONS of them in the station! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO MISS! and yet, people still throw them on the ground. I've heard many responses to this food and drinks ban proposal and they all say, "well, why don't you fine litterers?" yea ok, easy for y'all to say that, but who's gona take charge? There's CCTVs on the new trains and I am sure they are there for a reason. Whether be YUS line or BD line, whatever line, even bus and streetcar routes, they are all f***ing dirty! Man, it's sad taking the transit here, honest to God...I wish I was in Taiwan, the transit system there is unbelievably clean, affordable, and easy to use...

Better still **BAN all Food and Drinks including Paper on ALL TTC Vehicles 100%**

Most riders thinks TTC and other Transit System are their maid to pickup after them. Just think how riders would feel if they found a bag of trash at their front door daily full of food and drink material, let along papers. Maybe they would get the message "Drop your left overs in the trash after getting off a vehicle".

I have said to a number of riders over the year "Are you forgetting your trash from what you have eat or drank as they leave and leave the stuff behind." A few have gone back to get the items while others give me the dirty look.

There is no age limit as to the people who leave their trash behind, but most are teenagers, sorry to say.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I kinda agree with the idea of banning food on the TTC.

On a less serious note, they should go one step further and ban smelly people from the TTC too.

finally...someone is on the same page as me...

Was on a TR today and noticed the doors didn't have the same delay anymore, seemed like they opened just as fast as on the T1s after stopping. I guess the TTC/Bombardier have been working on this.

Nope. The crews are becoming better acquainted with the equipment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Better still **BAN all Food and Drinks including Paper on ALL TTC Vehicles 100%**

Most riders thinks TTC and other Transit System are their maid to pickup after them. Just think how riders would feel if they found a bag of trash at their front door daily full of food and drink material, let along papers. Maybe they would get the message "Drop your left overs in the trash after getting off a vehicle".

I have said to a number of riders over the year "Are you forgetting your trash from what you have eat or drank as they leave and leave the stuff behind." A few have gone back to get the items while others give me the dirty look.

There is no age limit as to the people who leave their trash behind, but most are teenagers, sorry to say.

Do you by chance work with the TTC? I've been trying to get this message across for a long time, but it never seems to work...

Forbid papers? Ridiculous idea. I can read what I want where I want, so slag off.

Stop allowing Metro and the other free rags from setting up boxes at TTC stations and you will solve 99% of the paper problem. People who have purchased a Star or Globe and Mail, who are already a small percentage of newspaper readers, are far less likely to leave it behind, in my experience.

Back