News   May 16, 2024
 321     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 437     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 510     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Look at the train, the municipality of Champigny sur Marne a parisian inner suburbs, used to illustrate the new metro planned.
DSC35921b.jpg

Do you have the original photograaph? One that can be blown up? I wonder if the sign says Finch. LOL

They took the original render of this train and added some people.

BT-3478-Toronto.jpg

It blurred but we can still reconize, Finch.
DSC35923b.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I FINALLY got a chance to ride the new trains. I was heading downtown last night, and figuring that the Rockets had been retired for the day I decided to just hop on the next train at Finch. At North York Centre, I see one heading northbound. I decided to hop off and wait for it to loop around.

I am so glad I did too. First thing I noticed is how quiet and smooth the train was. No screeching brakes or electric motors or anything. Using a brighter interior colour versus the grey of the old trains was a smart choice as it made them feel brighter and cleaner. I also liked the return to larger windows compared to the T1s trains. I also don't understand all the complaints around standing room for shorter people. The centre bar has pull down handles, which at being 5'8.5", I had no problems holding on to comfortably. The train wasn't crowded at all, but there seemed to be plenty of vertical bars for people to hold on to for shorter people.

Any complaints I have are minimal. This could have been an opportunity to introduce nicer seating, like that found on some new GTA buses and on the new streetcars, but was missed. In fact, I think the seats might be a little smaller than those on other cars, but still comfortable nonetheless. I noticed that while you could see what was happening ahead if you got close to the mirrored the door, the same couldn't be said for the back of the train. I don't know why this is. And of course, it is odd that it says "Interchange Station" at transfer stops, though I do think it is a good idea for it to say something on the matter.

The real travesty though is that the other subway lines will be using older rolling stock for the next several decades, until the T1s wear out probably. The other lines deserve nicer trains, and I think their sharp look would match the design of the Sheppard line as well.

Maybe just for another 10 years. There'll eventually be a T3 train coming out that'll start replacing the T1's and then this current new train will start appearing on other lines.

My regular ride is the Bloor-Danforth, so yesterday at about 6pm was my first encounter with the new train. Rode past my stop around the Union loop just to get a better sense of the vehicle. I see that the garbage topic has been discussed already within the last ten pages. When I stepped on I was downcast to see that the train already looked about as disrespected as some of the orange bench seated trains on the B-D line. Metro newpapers everywhere under seats and on top of seats, coffee cups and other beverage containers. Moved into a critical mood by the garbage, I began looking around for other signs of TTC bad behaviour - the seat hogging, the feet and bags on the seats. The open concept of the new trains would allow them to be more easily surveyed by TTC constables. Perhaps they should be making themselves more visible (I've only seen them standing two steps outside the fare booth), getting schoolmarmish towards those who sprawl across the seats or leave their debris behind. Times like this I almost turn into a Ford supporter. Why do we obsess here over the design, materials and overall quality, why to we fret about the 'cheapening' on these incredibly expensive infrastructure projects and public spaces, when the everyday Toronto sense of entitlement and passive aggressiveness enables a sizable chunk of our population to treat nice things like an unfinished rumpus room?

My regular ride is the Bloor-Danforth, so yesterday at about 6pm was my first encounter with the new train. Rode past my stop around the Union loop just to get a better sense of the vehicle. I see that the garbage topic has been discussed already within the last ten pages. When I stepped on I was downcast to see that the train already looked about as disrespected as some of the orange bench seated trains on the B-D line. Metro newpapers everywhere under seats and on top of seats, coffee cups and other beverage containers. Moved into a critical mood by the garbage, I began looking around for other signs of TTC bad behaviour - the seat hogging, the feet and bags on the seats. The open concept of the new trains would allow them to be more easily surveyed by TTC constables. Perhaps they should be making themselves more visible (I've only seen them standing two steps outside the fare booth), getting schoolmarmish towards those who sprawl across the seats or leave their debris behind. Times like this I almost turn into a Ford supporter. Why do we obsess here over the design, materials and overall quality, why to we fret about the 'cheapening' on these incredibly expensive infrastructure projects and public spaces, when the everyday Toronto sense of entitlement and passive aggressiveness enables a sizable chunk of our population to treat nice things like an unfinished rumpus room?

Right? That's exactly how I felt...seriously, it's time to ban food and drinks on the TTC...Before people demand better service from the TTC, they better first learn to respect the service.

Right? That's exactly how I felt...seriously, it's time to ban food and drinks on the TTC...Before people demand better service from the TTC, they better first learn to respect the service.

Given commute times in Toronto, I'd rather people be allowed to eat/drink on the TTC. For me, $1000 littering fines on the TTC and enforcement by TTC constables would be preferable. It takes me forever to get places on TTC, so I'd like to be able to eat/drink on it, especially given that I do make use of the plastic bag bins in stations.

Given commute times in Toronto, I'd rather people be allowed to eat/drink on the TTC. For me, $1000 littering fines on the TTC and enforcement by TTC constables would be preferable. It takes me forever to get places on TTC, so I'd like to be able to eat/drink on it, especially given that I do make use of the plastic bag bins in stations.

Thanks for the being respectful to the system. I understand your concern and yes sometimes it can be difficult when you have a long commute and you just want to have small bite, but people need to understand that the TTC is not a restaurant where you can eat your stuff and then just leave it there and expect the cleaners to clean it for you. That is not their job, their job is keep the system clean but not clean up after someone else's mess. It's not fair for them. The new trains have been out for a while now and already it's starting to look like crap. I like the idea of littering fines but honestly, can you make sure that you catch these people all the time? I mean those constables literally would have walk thru the entire train 24/7 just to catch litters which I don't think it's going to happen, sadly.

Thanks for the being respectful to the system. I understand your concern and yes sometimes it can be difficult when you have a long commute and you just want to have small bite, but people need to understand that the TTC is not a restaurant where you can eat your stuff and then just leave it there and expect the cleaners to clean it for you. That is not their job, their job is keep the system clean but not clean up after someone else's mess. It's not fair for them. The new trains have been out for a while now and already it's starting to look like crap. I like the idea of littering fines but honestly, can you make sure that you catch these people all the time? I mean those constables literally would have walk thru the entire train 24/7 just to catch litters which I don't think it's going to happen, sadly.

So we should close the McDonalds at the Dundas West station and lose the revenue (no seats, BTW)? Not to mention the other restaurants and convenience stores at other stations?

Mcdonalds, etc. generates some revenue for the TTC, but does that revenue cover the extra cost of cleaning discarded food from trains and stations, and removal of food-related garbage?

This discussion about food is just plain silly. If you ban it, the only ones that will comply are the ones who'll throw out their garbage anyway. And you'll still have people who need to eat. If I've got a 3-year old on the the TTC for 90 minutes, I'm not supposed to feed them anything?

TTC has made clear their policy, and explained why it exists. Tackle the garbage issue.

If one is really that concerned that the new subway cars are being used, perhaps we should just ban all the passengers, so pristine subway cars can roam around the system in peace.

Sigh...this is not going anywhere, forget it, it's no use. People want to be stubborn then I've got nothing else to say. I just don't see how people can demand more and better service when they have no respect for the service at all. With that in mind, why even bother ordering the new streetcars? Soon they will be crap too because people simply don't care and have no respect for them.

I don't think anyone's being stubbon. It's simply that banning food is a bad and unenforceable idea. It might work in a police state, but fortunately we don't live in one.

The solution is better public education, better cleaning, and perhaps the TTC listening to the thing that riders keep asking for ... garbage cans on trains. TTC always has lots of reasons on why they can't put garbage cans on trains and buses. Instead, perhaps they should find a way of trying it, rather than spending all their energy justifying why they can't do it.

Back