News   May 06, 2024
 234     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 777     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 603     1 

The Junction

I know nothing about Toronto west... and want to go out and explore some of the neighbourhoods I know nothing about. Where would be the best place to start exploring the Junction?

Dundas and Keele, of course, is the best starting point. If you go west, you'll see the more gentrified and vibrant part of the Junction currently, with many great businesses, restaurants, and cafes. Some have become icons, like Vesuvio's or Crema. There's a Little Malta towards Runnymede. Going east of that intersection is like the west in built form, but more up and coming and with its share of struggling people. Some social services are provided along this stretch up to Dupont, but it's diverse, with a sports bar, a few cafes and restaurants, lawyers, a bike shop, and many different businesses overall.

If you go north from that intersection, you'll find the railway and industrial lands. Mulock Avenue is an distinctive several hundred metres of houses and factories right beside each other, with mature oak trees. There are still some very industrial places in the north end, gritty like they're almost out of Victorian times like on Cawthra or Glen Scarlett Avenue, though recent redevelopment is smoothing this over. If you like urban geography, you can walk up Junction Road to West Toronto Diamond, the busy railway junction from which the neighbourhood's name is derived. There's a massive silo that's the remnant of a large milling operation with its own abandoned street still shown on Google maps: Monarch Road, and a mound that offers a view of it all, framed by one of the diamond's curving interchange tracks.

If you go south from my recommended starting point, you find Annette, the Junction's church street with an impressively large collection of churches, almost one on every block. There's also a Carnegie library.

It's up to what you want to see. The Junction has been a diverse and urban place for most of its history. When starting at Keele and Dundas, be sure to note the stone building on the northeast corner. It's the work of celebrated New York firm Carrere and Hastings.

Last edited:
Visit the Junction on a Saturday afternoon. Otherwise, it can be depressingly empty other than cars using Dundas as a thruway. Annette is nice, be sure to check out the Runnymede and Annette area--some little shops with tons of potential.

Is the Junction overrated currently? Yeah I think so and I and family have been apart of this area for almost a decade. It simply needs tons more density and middle class folks shopping and living here, more pedestrians and hundreds more interesting--not quirky--independent businesses will follow.

Any ideas on potential occupants of the now abandoned Blockbuster? What about the former McBride area?

What about the former McBride area?

I thought I saw a sign up recently that said that the McBride area had been purchased, this was recent (since November 2011).

On another note, there is a nice new organic grocer in the neighbourhood, located on the North-East corner of Dundas & Keele, I think beside the TV station. I had a chance to drop in last night and they have many organic items that I was never able to find before. Apparently it was opened by the brother of another store of the same name on Roncesvalles.

I've heard that the empty Blockbuster store is going to become a Dollarama, and the McBrides site is in the process of getting approval for a 7 story condominium.

next time they have to rip up Dundas for pipes the junctioners should totally lobby to put the streetcar tracks back in, so that the Dundas car goes all the way to the runnymead loop (or further). Doing this would no doubt benefit business. I know I'm not the only person who hesitates to go somewhere when someone telling me directions says "and then transfer to a bus". Doing this could make Dundas almost a continuation of Ronce. Especially if the king car went all the way up, too (not to mention it would certainly help the 'hood work towards it's goal of being carbon neutral).

Actually, the train traffic will be increasing substantially over the next decades. GO transit expansion and airport trains will mean at least one loud diesel train roaring by at least every ten minutes, with all the associated pollution. Now is the critical time to take a stand because Metrolinx will soon be negotiating the contract for diesel trains, with a deal set to be hammered out in the first days of February. I suggest getting in touch with the Clean Train Coalition who are finalizing their campaign for the weeks ahead.

There was a really good little documentary (about 45 minutes) that was shown on Rogers channel 10 today after City Council concluded on the increase of trains through The Junction. It focuses on the the use of diesel trains as opposed to electrifying them, the incredible amount of trains that will go through each day come 2015 (well over 400 trains a day from the 40 odd one's that go through now) and associated health concerns. It was well put together by a Junction resident, it's called "Bending The Rails". There's a Facebook page (Bending the Rails) and a link from a screening last summer at the Revue cinema. I can't find it on YouTube but I'm pretty sure the fellow who made it said it's available to borrow at Public Libraries.

Edit: Looks like it'll show again on Rogers channels 10 & 63, Sat. March 10th at 2:00pm - http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?sid=4743&rid=16&lid=12. Set your PVR if your interested.

Last edited:
I just hope the sawtoothed 50s storefronts to the north endure...

As I was growing up in the area, I used to work at the Loblaws at 372 Pacific. Mr. McRainie (sp?) was the manager and fired me for the first time in my life! Before the saw tooth buildings, there were two advertising bill boards on the corner that I used to climb on and hide behind, watching all go by.. Later they built the stores and the southernmost store was the "Mighty Midget" a variety store run by a Hawaiian/ Philippino looking gentleman. He was very nice to all the kids!

The Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study (from this link) could have significant influence on the Junction. Two phases (DRL 2A – East and West via King (Dundas West to Pape Station; DRL 3 – East and West with a northerly extension in the east (Dundas West to Eglinton and Don Mills)) may have a bearing northwestward on Dundas Street West.

I can see more public transit use on the 40 Junction, as they make their way to the DRL.

Now that the word is out about the uranium facility...
Decline of Junction Property Values?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...o-residents-shocked-by-local-uranium-facility

All a wee bit histerical on the parts of the residents if you ask me...

Curious if these hipsters would be willing to give up all the medical imaging technology and extra power generated for all their iGadgets too?

Residents dropped the ball by not researching their prospective neighbourhoods enough, you though they made air conditioners??? Does GE actually still make air conditioners??? When was the last time you bought a "Made in Canada" air conditioner anyway???
Realtors dropped the ball by not disclosing this to buyers if they knew about it, or by not researching their properties and being ignorant to what is in the neighbourhood
Regardless I agree a bit hysterical if you ask me...

Back