News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 888     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

The Junction

to be fair to GE,
they originally located the facility in TO so higher-skilled workers wouldn't have to live anywhere near the disaster at Port Hope

any economic benefit the area could have obtained from making the sacrifice to be host to the entire country's uranium processing for medical uses was transferred to Toronto
and Port Hope was left with the contaminated parks, schoolyards, etc.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/931703--timeline-radiation-at-port-hope

and now you know

to be fair to GE,
they originally located the facility in TO so higher-skilled workers wouldn't have to live anywhere near the disaster at Port Hope

any economic benefit the area could have obtained from making the sacrifice to be host to the entire country's uranium processing for medical uses was transferred to Toronto
and Port Hope was left with the contaminated parks, schoolyards, etc.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/931703--timeline-radiation-at-port-hope

and now you know

eh? GE never had facilities in Port Hope, it's Cameco run. Not sure what you're getting at here. I'm surprised people really care about the landsdowne/dupont facility. As far as health and safety goes i'd rather have tightly regulated non-enriched uranium processing than other dirty manufacturing without the same kind of oversight that anything "nuclear" gets. Especially CGE historical neglect with respect to PCB waste. Their uranium business is relatively new and as such has always followed very strict guidelines and oversight.

Last edited:
eh? GE never had facilities in Port Hope, it's Cameco run. Not sure what you're getting at here. I'm surprised people really care about the landsdowne/dupont facility. As far as health and safety goes i'd rather have tightly regulated non-enriched uranium processing than other dirty manufacturing without the same kind of oversight that anything "nuclear" gets. Especially CGE historical neglect with respect to PCB waste. Their uranium business is relatively new and as such has always followed very strict guidelines and oversight.

of course
clean, good-paying jobs
not anywhere near being in a straight-line between Port Hope and Peterborough

of course
clean, good-paying jobs
not anywhere near being in a straight-line between Port Hope and Peterborough

Still don't know what you're getting at. GE has had operations in this building on Landsdowne and the immediate surrounding area (including the Foundry Lofts and the neighbouring large building(s)) for a hundred years now.

This. Precisely. For anyone interested in actual data or information, feel free to PM. To give you background, my wife and I are vegetarians. We generally eat organic. Our son is a vegetarian. We both bicycle. So, that's our dirty-hippy cred -- BUT -- my wife is a scientist, working for a non-profit radiation safety org.

She has been there several times, and in fact trained several of the staff in radiation certification. She says it's beyond safe.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I currently live uptown near Wilson Station but am seriously considering a move to a condo in the Junction or surrounding area due to the nieghborhood's reasonable market price.

I know the area has been changing a lot over the last few years and I just wanted to reach out to ask people of their recent personal experiences around the Lansdowne and Dupont area. I get mixed reports and have recently spent some time in the area but it's difficult to get a sense of day to day life.

I like the Keele and Dundas area but those Heintzman condo's rarely come on the market and new developments are in pre-construction but years away from occupancy. Safety is a concern as my girlfriend would be walking at night from Lansdowne Stn. to Dupont as I'm fully aware of that notorious apartment building which creates a widespread problem in the neighborhood. I couldn't find anything recent in terms of reviews or discussions of this area so I'm hoping someone here can provide feedback to comfort my worries.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Eglinton Avenue West, just to the north, maybe worth a look, if you can stand the construction for the Eglinton Crosstown. Once its finished, the area will boom.

Start at Oakwood & Eglinton, see http://thehub.empirecommunities.com/ for more information.

St. Clair West has condos going up, as well.

Looking for a small building, look at the condos along Annette Street. Some were converted churches. Another used to be a transformer building for the Annette trolley bus, see Volta Lofts at this link.

Go look at UB's map as a starting point. See link.

The exterior of Volta is almost complete and it looks really good, FWIW. Annette is quieter than Dundas and a few new restaurants have gone into that area recently. As for Lansdown/Dupont, I have two teenaged sons who've had some bad experiences in that area, which they describe as "still a little sketchy" - but probably not more so than the Keele/Dundas area to be honest.

The Junction doesn't have much in the way of condo options, though the Duke looks like it'll be a great building. The stretch of Dundas between Indian Grove and Keele is the only part of the area that could be called sketchy because of a shelter and subsidized housing building, but it isn't unsafe. Dupont and Lansdowne, on the other hand, is congested and flanked by ugly buildings. It seems sketchier than any place in the Junction. The condo on the NW corner and at 299 Campbell might improve it, though. Look at the lofts and townhouses at Davenport and Lansdowne--there might be something there you'd be interested in. It's mainly the intersection itself and the blocks immediately surrounding it in all directions that seem sketchy.

The Junction doesn't have much in the way of condo options, though the Duke looks like it'll be a great building. The stretch of Dundas between Indian Grove and Keele is the only part of the area that could be called sketchy because of a shelter and subsidized housing building, but it isn't unsafe. Dupont and Lansdowne, on the other hand, is congested and flanked by ugly buildings. It seems sketchier than any place in the Junction. The condo on the NW corner and at 299 Campbell might improve it, though. Look at the lofts and townhouses at Davenport and Lansdowne--there might be something there you'd be interested in. It's mainly the intersection itself and the blocks immediately surrounding it in all directions that seem sketchy.

I agree with this. Dupont/Lansdowne is much more sketchy than anything along Dundas in the Junction. The "Standard Lofts" is probably one of the ugliest / worst loft conversions ever. The original Standard (toilets & stuff) factory wasn't great, but the stucco Lofts are absolutely hideous and extremely bland. But they do go for a low price. The area is primarily dragged down by the rental highrise on north of the Coffee Time. It was at one time the worst rental apartment in the City, though I think they've tried to fix it up since over the past few years.

The exterior of Volta is almost complete and it looks really good, FWIW. Annette is quieter than Dundas and a few new restaurants have gone into that area recently. As for Lansdown/Dupont, I have two teenaged sons who've had some bad experiences in that area, which they describe as "still a little sketchy" - but probably not more so than the Keele/Dundas area to be honest.

Yes, Volta is turning out quite nice. I was pleasantly surprised when the hoarding came down. Only problem is the location is kinda out of the way. I read somewhere that this area is described as tauntingly but not conveniently close to both the Junction and BWV. Which seems to be quite true. There is a bit of stuff going on right at Runnymede & Annette, including a newer smoked / BBQ place & Baby Point Gates has a little bit of stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great information everyone, I'm assuming the one's responding to my question live in the Junction so it's nice to get some first hand feedback.

I have driven by the Volta Lofts numerous times but that is definitely out of my price range. I use to live in the Jane & Wilson area so I guess you could say I'm already use to a bit of a sketchy environment.

The Oakwood & Eglinton development looks interesting, especially because of the easy transit and highway access that location provides, you really can't get any better than that, however, that is a ways from being ready for occupancy. I'm really looking for something in the 300k range. Like I said the Heintzman condo's originally sparked my interest but nice units rarely become available so I turned to the Lansdowne and Dupont (south west corner) condo's that have recently been built.

I read that there are plans to build another tower on the north west corner with a shoppers and grocery store. With all the change that's happening on that corner I can only imagine gentrification is on its way or already happening. I believe it would be a good investment for someone looking for a place for the long haul.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the lofts along the sw corner of Dupont and Lansdowne were rentals(?). I believe there is another loft development that was recently renovated along the south side of Dupont between Symington and the tracks, but I'm not sure if it's condo or rentals (someone else might know - they are across from the Piri Piri restaurant). The NW corner development at Lansdowne is set to include a Metro, I believe. A knockdown/redevelopment of the Country Style on the NE corner would really help that neighbourhood.

I was under the impression that the lofts along the sw corner of Dupont and Lansdowne were rentals(?).
ah, you are correct. Standard Lofts is rental.

I believe there is another loft development that was recently renovated along the south side of Dupont between Symington and the tracks, but I'm not sure if it's condo or rentals (someone else might know - they are across from the Piri Piri restaurant).

I've not seen anything there, and there's nothing on MLS for sale.

The NW corner development at Lansdowne is set to include a Metro, I believe.

Yes, this too is correct. :)

kbdid said:
I use to live in the Jane & Wilson area so I guess you could say I'm already use to a bit of a sketchy environment.

Then you're in good shape! The new condos at 812 Lansdowne are not that poorly located. You can walk or take the 47 Lansdowne bus to Lansdowne Station, you can walk to ghetto Galleria Mall (Freshco). I'd rather live here than Jane / Wilson ANYDAY.

I know someone who lives on SW Landsdowne/Dupont, and they have never felt unsafe. She walks from the subway (apparently only a 10 minute walk or so), and often does it at night. She does rent, though the factory on the Northside I believe will be condos. They building current building is staying as is I believe, and will house the Metro and Shoppers; while the condo is built on top. Out of curiousity, which building is considered "notoriously sketchy"?

Back